Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 08:30 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times

Advertisements

Which emotion(s) was it, and how did you feel after? Aside from the situation itself that brought you to that level of extreme emotional storm and/or the practical repercussions if you expressed that in front of others, did you feel psychologically more free and opened up (if that makes sense)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 08:34 PM

1,210 posts, read 888,712 times
Who hasn't? If you loose your temper, you've lost your emotion.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:36 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
Yep. Didn't harm anyone, but it was easily a point in time I point to where change in me began to occur.

Impatience, anger, and afterwards disgust with myself. It was in front of my wife & kids. The first step in understanding the difference between petty and important. After around two decades of working with myself, I have changed fr the better. Now there is way more pettiness in my life and a trimmed down list of important things to truly worry and/or concern myself about.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:26 AM

720 posts, read 428,619 times
Yes but it was at a time where I couldn't sleep or eat for one or two days cause I was so preoccupied with the falling out of a friendship that I didn't take care of myself.
After the snap I realized that before everyone else I have to take care of my self first and foremost.
Sometimes bad things just happen. No reason needed.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:41 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
I experienced severe road rage yesterday. When I lose it, its anger, and 9 times out of 10 while driving.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:51 AM

1,074 posts, read 640,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Which emotion(s) was it, and how did you feel after? Aside from the situation itself that brought you to that level of extreme emotional storm and/or the practical repercussions if you expressed that in front of others, did you feel psychologically more free and opened up (if that makes sense)?
No, I have not. And it is really hard for me to understand this concept. I look forward to reading all the responses in order to get some clarity about my child.

My adult child suffers from some sort of out-of-whack explosive anger thing. She has since infancy. I recall a few conversations we have had along the lines of "you know mom- like when your anger just takes over and you have no control over it"....uuummm, no I don't. This makes no sense to me.

Please everyone, give as much detail as possible on how you feel if you are someone that can answer yes to this question.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:57 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,085 times
I will cop to this. Hypoglycemia was to blame, your Honor!

The time: mid-1980s
The place: "Linens 'N More" in some godforsaken suburban mall. (remember those stores?)

I spent my lunch hour (that I should have spent eating lunch) searching for linen dish towels. That's linen, made from flax, see? Not "linen" used generically.
After wading through many a "whimsical" selection of cheap-ass garbage, I, errr.....lost my ***** that there was no actual linen in a store named LINENS and more. The staff did not know what I was talking about. I felt lost in a world of Idiocracy, and alone.

What's that you say, Judge? I'm exonerated? Thank you!

Old 07-31-2019, 08:11 AM

1,074 posts, read 640,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
I will cop to this. Hypoglycemia was to blame, your Honor!

The time: mid-1980s
The place: "Linens 'N More" in some godforsaken suburban mall. (remember those stores?)

I spent my lunch hour (that I should have spent eating lunch) searching for linen dish towels. That's linen, made from flax, see? Not "linen" used generically.
After wading through many a "whimsical" selection of cheap-ass garbage, I, errr.....lost my ***** that there was no actual linen in a store named LINENS and more. The staff did not know what I was talking about. I felt lost in a world of Idiocracy, and alone.

What's that you say, Judge? I'm exonerated? Thank you!

Thanks for that!

Old 07-31-2019, 09:03 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Many years ago, when I was in my early 50's, I woke up one morning, and my first thought was "I want to slap someone." I woke up pissed off, and no one to pin it on.

It was around Christmas. Where I work, it's always my job to set up the Christmas tree. Now, it's no problem, but back then, we had an old tree, and it involved a lot of jury rigging to keep some of the branches on, and I'd have to climb under the tree...and I hated doing it. It did not help my mood. And no one would help me. That did not help my mood. They'd just walk by and go "Good job Sassy" and such. Doing all that did NOT help my mood. When my boss didn't like the way I put on the decorations and asked me to change it up, it did not help my mood.

So my work day is finally over, and I'm driving home, and the song "Leader of the Band" comes on the radio, and I start crying, thinking of my dad. This is not helping things at all.

I have to stop at the grocery store because I volunteered to make brownies for a Christmas party the next day. I make my brownies using white chocolate chips. I get to the store...and lo and behold, I can NOT find the white chocolate chips. They're completely out of them. So what do I do? I break down and cry like a baby in aisle 6. That's what I do. And I'm thinking "what is WRONG with me?? Am I losing my ever loving mind??" This 'miasma' had been hanging over me the whole darn day!

The next morning, I woke up, and lo...I had started my period. Being in my 50's, and going through menopause, there would be months when I didn't have a period at all, so I didn't associate my crazy mood with PMS at all. I'll tell ya, I was SOOO relieved to know my temporary insanity was due to PMS.

And in the past, my extreme moods have always been related to my cycle.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:07 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Yes. The emotion was grief, over losing my mother. And I felt much better.

After my mothers death, I felt very compelled to hold it together and to carry on. My husband and I ran a business and I just needed to cope.

I started having dreams where I would hear my mother call me and I couldn’t find her. There wasn’t a sense of danger, there wasn’t a sense of fear, there was just a sense of loss. After I woke up I’d tell myself this is stupid, this is just a dream, and I’d go back to sleep.

Clearly, I wasn’t dealing with my feelings.

After about six months of this, two or three times a week having these dreams, I finally had one that involved the house I grew up in, which we had taken down a few months earlier. It was the most traumatic dream by far.

To me it’s very telling that when I usually tell the story I referred to the dream as nightmares but in reality they were there was nothing frightening about them, there was nothing scary, they were simply very disturbing to me. If my sisters were having them I think they would’ve been comforted. The difference of this dream was that at the end my mother told me it was OK that I couldn’t get to her she was OK.

I woke up and got hysterical, absolutely hysterical. I kept telling my husband this was never going to end, this was going to be my life now, the dreams would never stop, that I was going to live in hell the rest of my life. I must have sobbed on my husband for an hour, and he was beside himself because there was no comforting me.

Well, that broke the dam, and for two days on and off, I cried. I went through a ton of pocket packs of Kleenexes.

And a few days later, I had another dream. I was at a party, and I was telling wonderful happy stories about my mom, and we were all laughing, people were telling me how wonderful she must have been and when I woke up from that dream, I knew I was FINALLY going to be okay.

I learned a very important lesson. I have to let grief out. If I bottle it up and try to go on, it comes out anyway and it’s really messy when it does. Grief does a real number on your head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology