U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 03:33 PM

5,388 posts, read 3,368,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I am attracted to a family member....My wife
Was she also your sister!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 06:08 PM

6,867 posts, read 3,829,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Biological. Inbreeding will destroy the tribe.
This. The biological aspect can be in the brain. Hence the revulsion when the sibling is adopted. The brain perceives the sister as sister, hence inbreeding.

Of course, we all know there are people who cross those boundaries.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:12 PM

772 posts, read 156,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Was she also your sister!
I supposed that's better than writing "I'm attracted to your wife too!"
Photo from Flicker and shows as free to use for non commercial use:

Old 08-02-2019, 07:57 PM

15,741 posts, read 4,161,979 times
Mostly cultural being as many cultures, right up the present times (including advanced ones) hooked up with close relatives.

Probably only after actual science and the Age of Reason got further under way...and the problems of close relationships were proven, did we develop the dislike.....more.

I'd say, though, that the feelings against very close (sibling, mother, father) incest is somewhat built in...maybe related to those people being your protector or something of the sort.

Also, there are instincts in animals (and we are animals) which serve to follow along with Darwins theories....that is, the diversification and selection (and mutations caused by such) are responsible for survival of the species.

We used to joke back in my old burb about natural selection...it was a fairly wealthy burb "He was the jock and she was the cheerleader". Now she plays tennis and he's a lawyer (think: 1980's).......well, add a decade or two and they are divorced, but that's too much social science for even this thread!

Old 08-02-2019, 08:09 PM

6,387 posts, read 3,627,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
We used to joke back in my old burb about natural selection...it was a fairly wealthy burb "He was the jock and she was the cheerleader". Now she plays tennis and he's a lawyer (think: 1980's).......well, add a decade or two and they are divorced, but that's too much social science for even this thread!
And in a pseudo-incestuous way he now has a new wife young enough to be his daughter.

Old 08-03-2019, 02:11 AM

9,191 posts, read 3,052,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticseas View Post
I've wondered whether people are not attracted to parents and siblings (because cousin incest is actually accepted in many parts of the world and less genetically "harmful") due to mostly biological ingraining or social ones.

The Westermarck Effect would point to it being mostly cultural i.e. the people you grow up with and live with cause your brain to desensitize any sexual feelings. This might explain why adopted children of women who are very young and attractive still don't find them arousing even though there's no basis for incest repulsion.

Similarly, genetic brothers/sisters who are separated at birth in foster homes sometimes meet later and fall in love (there was a case about that).

But what do you think? Are you attracted to any family members?
Nobody got too excited when FDR married his cousin. They produced some fine, normal children.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:08 AM

749 posts, read 203,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticseas View Post
I've wondered whether people are not attracted to parents and siblings (because cousin incest is actually accepted in many parts of the world and less genetically "harmful") due to mostly biological ingraining or social ones.

The Westermarck Effect would point to it being mostly cultural i.e. the people you grow up with and live with cause your brain to desensitize any sexual feelings. This might explain why adopted children of women who are very young and attractive still don't find them arousing even though there's no basis for incest repulsion.

Similarly, genetic brothers/sisters who are separated at birth in foster homes sometimes meet later and fall in love (there was a case about that).

But what do you think? Are you attracted to any family members?
The research was done ( sorry, don’t want to look for links right now) that “genetically” similar people have a naturally very high attraction level.
The biological “ antidote” to that is rearing one’s offspring or growing as sibling together - especially in the first year of life. In addition read on on “imprinting” phenomena...
This explains why “ a high level of sexual feelings” towards a woman is “ normally” suppose to last 2-3 years - enough time for a woman to get pregnant and nurse and somewhat raise the baby with the help of a provider to ensure the child’s survival to when a woman can be on her own with the child if needs be- ( that is from primitive societies without a “mandated” marriage)

This child-parents- siblings living together is responsible for forming an anti- attraction in a sexual sense between them- a biological defense against inbreeding.
However, if the parent- child- sibling were separated early on due to an adoption, etc- this “ anti- attraction” does not happen, just the opposite- as they are very similar genetically- they may experience a very high attraction rate.
You may have read occasionally about stories of a birth mother or father “reconnecting” with their adult children and “ falling madly in love”. Some were charged with incest.

Last edited by Nik4me; 08-03-2019 at 07:28 AM..

Old 08-03-2019, 10:00 AM

9,446 posts, read 17,470,068 times
I think it's social. Many women have told me of their fathers or brothers taking their virginity when they were young. Too many. Shockingly too many and too young! My late wife was writing a book about this, in conjunction with a psychologist. She didn't live to see it published, but it was mostly completed before her death -- close enough that she had submitted it to publishers. Of course I read it, and I heard many of the interviews she had with victims of incest. I think we all know that it's wrong, but that doesn't stop many men, even today. Both fathers and brothers often initiate sex with sisters and daughters. It's sick, but it's not too uncommon, and I think that's probably because it wasn't that many generations ago when it was, at least somewhat, accepted by many.

Old 08-03-2019, 04:42 PM

12,407 posts, read 12,608,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
A science fiction story goes deep into the topic. . .
If All Men Were Brothers, Would You Let One Marry Your Sister?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_All...Your_Sister%3F
An Earthman visits the planet Vexvelt, which is shunned by the rest of the colonized universe for unknown reasons. He finds it a utopian paradise, but then discovers to his shock and horror that incest is actively encouraged there.
. . .
However, modern studies do show that inbreeding does harm, and thus voids the story's arguments.
As long as you have a clean genome, there is no problem with inbreeding. Animal breeders have known that for centuries. You outcross to import traits into a line, then inbreed to fix the trait. It's how ever dog breed was developed.

The trick is to cull the defectives. You don't have to kill them, but you can't let them breed. Neutering is the common solution.

In human history, the Pharaohs of ancient Egypt were heavily inbred. More recently, the Hawaiians bred a royal family of 7' tall geniuses through brother-sister mating. Our culture does not find the techniques acceptable, but they are not scientifically forbidden.

Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM

6,569 posts, read 7,866,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Do you remember whether it delved any deeper....like into prevalence by gender, for instance? To the extent that there may be an instinctive component, I wonder if it is stronger in females than males.
No gender differences that I recall. It was a universal taboo for both sexes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or