U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 02:16 AM

25,231 posts, read 24,120,958 times

Advertisements

I'll never talk about that.

My high school history teacher once caught me skipping on a lovely spring day. He asked me how I'd spent my free time. He approved, and didn't report me - and also told me to not do it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 07:36 AM

6,302 posts, read 2,927,403 times
I can't recall a thing my mom didn't know even after ( years later) when I fessed up. She'd have that " I already knew that dear". No judgement...just acceptance that I wasn't near as perfect as I thought I could be.
Plus some of my friends would blurt out things we did. My mom had a way of getting folks to open up.

Reckon very few things shocked her as she didn't think of it as a reflection of her parenting skills. She knew we'd do dumb things cuz a part of us had our dad's stupid gene. And my bio dad was awfully good at dumb deeds...

Old 08-03-2019, 07:53 AM

14,732 posts, read 8,560,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
You think I'm gonna put that in writing?
/thread. And my parents aren't even in my life anymore.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:23 AM

3,581 posts, read 1,581,952 times
Walked my horse through their house. They never found out and are gone now.

I will say that "respect for authority" they drilled into us, didn't work out too well with a college professor.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:35 AM

7 posts, read 753 times
I beat one boy such violently (for abusing my ex-girlfriend) that. he lost his eye. then I paid for his medical service. for today i feel very bad about myself it could have be done more lightly. if my Mom will found out I will lost her because she never raised me like that to do such harm to people in spite of reason.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:46 AM

15,690 posts, read 12,270,451 times
(I actually have a list of things they never knew...Omg....typical high school stuff.)

Old 08-03-2019, 11:13 AM

5,058 posts, read 1,927,138 times
I would never share - too many things - and they never found out anything, thank goodness.

I think this thread illustrates how free kids need to be - and are - and most parents are in the dark.

I would hate to be a kid today with the "assistant" parents - the spies who never let you out of their sight.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:31 AM

810 posts, read 780,481 times
I have not, and never WILL let my sole-surviving parent know of this, but I made my decision to remain 'celibate' many yrs ago, which quite effectively shuts-off at least one-branch of my Family-Tree...

...specifically on my Mother's side (Russian/Cossack - Polish/Orthodox Jew ?) as result of her having lost five (due to miscarriages) and my aunt (her Sister, and only sibling) never was able to successfully conceive.

Thankfully, my Father had several siblings, most (if not all ?) were able to have & raise their own children, so my Dad's blood-line (Hungarian-Gypsy) WILL hopefully be able to continue-on.

I do not know either of my parents blood-type, but mine is A-negative...and if what my personal research has come up with is TRUE, it generally turns-out A-negative is passed-on from the Father...and it looks as if that RH-negative blood-type makes it VERY difficult to find compatible 'Mate' with-which to successfully conceive & give-birth to a healthy child.

I'm sure there have been numerous 'expen$ive' recent developments in medical-research which would undoubtedly increase the chances of successful birth, but I am not (and never have) 'Done Well' for myself, financially-speaking...so I feel that one of the most RESPONSIBLE decisions I can make in this life, is to AVOID breeding-back to the gene-pool.

A shame for my Mother's blood-line, but when I reflect on the COUNTLESS multiple-millions of blood-lines that have been lost over the millennia (due to war, famine, pestilence, etc) it does not seem like ANY of us are actually 'in control' of our family destinies, at all.

Old 08-03-2019, 01:29 PM

375 posts, read 146,480 times
Oh, God
From my youth in a small ex-Yugoslav town

I was a good girl with strict parents – atheist military father, alcoholic in his free time, and Catholic mother . Anyway those two never gave me a break. At 16-17 of age, I had a group of nine friends who liked to party. No drugs, alcohol rarely, but very interesting people.

Since a few of us had strict parents, we made a deal – birthdays were going to be celebrated in totally unortodox time, like start at 8am instead of 8pm, and we could always tell our strict folks that we were having some extracurricural activities in the morning.

So it was one of those birthdays with creative morning timeline. School always started at 2pm, but the party was so good that we didn't make it until 3.30pm right in time for English lesson which started with a dictation.

Did I tell you that I had had one beer at the party.It was one too many for me. My mind went to a weird, foggy place.

I was writing the said dictation like a robot – no thoughts of my own whatsoever, I was relying on my decent English. It was about Charles Darwin with general stuff about his life work and most important findings. We completed it, teacher collected our papers, and it was then when she asked: Ok, just curious, do you know the title of anything Charles Darwin wrote?

In my prevalent foggy confusion I was wondering how the hell no one, not a single mother-f-ing one of them raised their hands, while mine was the only one high up in the air, happy to save my comrades from such an abhorrent display of ignorance.

Teacher: Ok, Switchtoecig, tell us…
Myself: Oliver Twist !!!!

For a couple of seconds, there was a dead silence, which I'd find later was due to general incredulity. And then the class exploded in laughter. I felt ashamed for the rest of the school year.

Well, OP, I told them and everyone else, cause I found it just too funny not to. But it was many years later.

There were quite a few occasions in which I lied to my parents in order to have some social life. So, no regrets.

Last edited by switchtoecig; 08-03-2019 at 01:45 PM..

Old 08-03-2019, 02:18 PM

1,067 posts, read 366,168 times
My sisters and I watered down their expensive booze when we were in college.

They offered me their collection many years later. I declined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or