U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 12:46 AM

5,521 posts, read 2,968,816 times

Advertisements

I think about it. I work on not letting it control what I do.

Yearly at work we have to watch a video about what to do if there is an active shooter. Just yesterday I was thinking for a moment, where would I go if an active shooter appeared. Makes me sick that I have to think of this possible situation happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 05:38 AM

5,816 posts, read 4,236,793 times
I don't think there is any sense in worrying about a mass shooting. They can happen any place at any time. Even if you have a plan of escape, it won't help you if you're in the gunman's sights when he pulls the trigger.

You just have to hope that you or your loved ones are not in the wrong place at the wrong time. That goes for anything that is harmful (accidents, earthquakes, tornadoes, floods, being hit by lightning, etc.)

Old 08-08-2019, 08:59 AM

36,929 posts, read 42,290,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I don't think there is any sense in worrying about a mass shooting. They can happen any place at any time. Even if you have a plan of escape, it won't help you if you're in the gunman's sights when he pulls the trigger.

You just have to hope that you or your loved ones are not in the wrong place at the wrong time. That goes for anything that is harmful (accidents, earthquakes, tornadoes, floods, being hit by lightning, etc.)
The thing about worry, anxiety, etc. is that it really doesn't matter whether there is any sense in it, or not.

There is nobody who can say they've never worried about something that is unlikely, that is worst case scenario, that is something they can't do anything about. All those things being true doesn't eliminate worry. Nature of the beast.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:41 AM

2,777 posts, read 4,965,126 times
Fact of the matter is that there is little anyone can do about someone going nuts and shooting an area up. (and if not a gun a machete or bomb I suppose)
I am older and I have carried a handgun most of my life.
I can tell you this, should I witness such an event I will do my best to stop the action immediately.
Should I get shot oh well, I have had a pretty good life.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:50 AM

5,473 posts, read 6,728,269 times
Not going to lie, when I take my daughter to a concert, I mentally take note of where we would go and what we would do if someone started shooting. And I do think about it when they go to school.

My sister-in-law is from Santa Fe, TX. Her cousin was shot in the school shooting there and her childhood friend lost her son. Her parents still live there. Their neighbor lost a child as well. So it's really not that far removed.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:01 AM

14,788 posts, read 8,612,700 times
No. I'm more worried that a family member will stab me to death in a brawl over who gets the second turkey leg at Thanksgiving. Now that's a passionate argument!

Old 08-08-2019, 11:57 AM
Status: ""making all of his nowhere plans for nobody..."" (set 3 days ago)

7,574 posts, read 4,540,852 times
Quote:
Is anyone afraid of mass shootings in your area?
I was thinking about this on Sunday, I think, because of the Walmart shooting. I'm not afraid to go out because of mass shootings, because they are still really rare. Sometimes I do wonder about being in a convenience store when it gets robbed, but I am not scared about it either.

Living in South Carolina, I am way more apt to be killed by a bad driver than a mass shooter.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:11 PM

9,986 posts, read 5,574,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I’m so afraid that a mentally ill or an otherwise hate-filled person will shoot up my area, and I get so worried about my spouse, sister, niece, nephews (triplets) will be hurt or worse. Why do we have to worry about this so much? Why do people do these things?
Afraid? Not really. Worry? Probably not.

Aware, alert? You better believe it!

At the start of each semester, I brief my students to what to do if that happens. To run away if we are not in the drink, to follow me to deep water if we are.

If I get hit and it's the end, well, no one lives forever, sometimes the dragon wins......and we go out as heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I think about it. I work on not letting it control what I do.

Yearly at work we have to watch a video about what to do if there is an active shooter. Just yesterday I was thinking for a moment, where would I go if an active shooter appeared. Makes me sick that I have to think of this possible situation happening.
Well, to each their own. Me, if I ever find myself on a hijacked airliner, I've always figured the enemy is going to shoot me first just on general principle.

In other lights, when I get nervous, I tend to start writing notes. It calms me down. In a response to a shooter class I took, about what to do if I found myself as a hostage with a shooter, it was commented that me asking if I could take notes might actually be a good thing.......because here would be a time when someone is actually listening to "him".

Strike, run, do the unthinkable in response or escape, hide, go deep, whatever........such possibilities have been part of my life for decades.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 08-08-2019 at 01:43 PM..

Old 08-08-2019, 04:43 PM

1,639 posts, read 745,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
It's already happened here.

Marjory Stoneman Douglas in Parkland.

Fort Lauderdale International Airport.

I'm sure there are more.

That county has some crazy events. I am fairly certain that the county is number 1 in mass shootings if you account for the last decade and consider its population size. What is going on there, I go there often and it seems like a normal place.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:28 PM

60 posts, read 10,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
A few years ago, there was a shooting at our local courthouse - in broad daylight an ex husband shot and killed his ex wife right in front of their son (in fact, he also shot the son but didn't kill him!), and then began a shootout right there on the town square. A man who lived downtown had a handgun (not sure what the perp had) and was licensed and tried to shoot the shooter, but he was shot and killed instead. The shooter was wearing a bullet proof vest.
https://www.kltv.com/story/2994393/t...-out-in-tyler/

Anyway, there are many true accounts of licensed gun owners stopping crimes and shootings with their weapons - I won't post them but they are easy to look up. But we don't know if there were any gun owners carrying guns with them in that WalMart that day. Contrary to popular belief, most Texans don't walk around "packing." Less than 4 percent of Texans are licensed to carry. In fact, you bring up Colorado and Nevada - both states have a higher percentage of gun licensed folks than Texas.

The Wal-Mart is next door to a Simon Properties mall. Simon Properties prohibits weapons on their properties. The two places share a parking lot. Even if someone had a license, they would probably leave their gun in the car if they were going to both places - which considering it was the weekend before school starts, makes sense.

Yeah, I see what you are saying and agree since in many cities there have been shoot-outs with people who are holding the gun! I grew up in Southern California and shootings there in my city were/are pretty common. This was even before Columbine going forward.

I definitely know there are accounts of people with guns stopping shooters, not disagreeing there. I meant my comments/thoughts in terms of most mass shootings. Part of gun ownership requires assessment of the situation. You may not want to be mistaken as part of a mass shooting.

I own a gun but don't carry concealed. I use it for personal protection at my house. Rethinking I may carry though in a concealed manner. NV has open carry laws its not uncommon to see in more rural parts of the state. Rarely see open carry in the city though.

Last edited by FierceKaia; 08-08-2019 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: formatting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or