U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM

36,869 posts, read 42,193,303 times

Advertisements

It's a lot harder to take out 9 people in under 30 seconds as a lone, knife-weilding assailant, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM

51 posts, read 18,577 times
I wouldn't say I'm "afraid" of a mass shooting, but I recognize that there is a potential for that at my husband's workplace. It is an emotionally volatile career area, his employer is a place that is fairly large with distinct departments that each have their own culture. People are laid off for various reasons fairly frequently and there have been more than a few occasions where the former employee is distinctly "disgruntled". It's also a business that is sometimes socially or politically provocative (that's part of its core mission, in fact), so members of the public too often have strong, very vocal opinions about one thing or another. It's also a place where very large numbers of people gather for frequent, regular events. ... So, yeah, I am aware that this is the kind of place where a violent disturbance —either from within the company or from outside of it— could happen, and is in fact more likely to happen than just some totally random place like a Walmart.

But as yet nothing terrible of that sort has happened, and I think it's unlikely it ever will. It would be naive, though, to act blithely as though it never could. There are security protocols in place, but truth is if someone shows up with a gun and with the intention to inflict harm, they will be able to do so. Depending on the type of gun, they could inflict harm on a LOT of people in an instant.

Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM

23,896 posts, read 17,793,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I am no longer fond of being in large crowds since this is happening. I still go to the movies but think about it every time I go which is weekly. I really feel sorry for kids whom should never have to worry about being safe at school. Ugh!
I go to a couple dozen baseball games most years. Most don't even have security screening. The worst I've seen are a few drunken fights.

Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM

18 posts, read 1,642 times
I am concerned about it, but I do not worry about it. Over the last few years, there have been some shootings here, but they did not become mass shootings because police/security responded quickly, and lots of folks around here carry.

Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Ok mark this down as the dumbest post on City Data today!

Maybe as a secondary prize we could send you to the Dominican Republic for an all inclusive vacation with unlimited booze!
Not really that dumb.

A whole bunch of countries have actually issued travel advisories regarding visiting the U. S.

Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM

7,387 posts, read 4,284,600 times
My wife is starting to have this issue. Never big on crowds to begin with, but now mentions being afraid of going to a concert, movie theater, plays, ordering grocery delivery rather than going to the store, etc. And notes the security procedures when we do. If there's some spot checking of bags she gets nervous when her own purse is not checked as it shows not all of them are. Doesn't help that we've frequented several locations that have had mass shootings over the years.

Last edited by notnamed; Yesterday at 12:17 PM..

Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM

We're gearing up for an annual road trip to my small, rural hometown tomorrow, to see my parents and attend a festival that's been a community staple for 72 years. my mom is always thrilled to make the rounds at the festival and parade, and get to show off the grandkids to her coworkers and friends... it's her favorite time of year.

I talked to her this morning, and she was all, "Maybe we don't go to the parade this year." I was shocked, it's literally her favorite thing. But she said after this weekend, she is not feeling great about being in a crowd, and especially not at the parade.

Our town has two real defining characteristics at this point... one is that it has a significant Hispanic population, as a result of decades of agricultural work that was originally the province of migrant laborers, who eventually settled out, started businesses, restaurants, brought family up, and settled. The other is that most of the rest of the population is stereotypically Maga-hat wearing, NRA decal sporting, "We speak American, here" Bubba types. This has always been a source of tension, but it's now off the charts. My mom has worked in the public for 30 years, there, and says she has heard troubling threats of violence made with increasing frequency in the past several years, and it's really freaking her out.

I'm sure we'll attend, as always, but I hate that this is even a consideration.

Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM

32,081 posts, read 20,212,549 times
No, the things that are happening are heart breaking but my own neurosis has such a long list of things to worry about before that.

You have to be careful to not let fear of these type of things take over and control your life or mental well being.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM

106 posts, read 11,293 times
Usually after an airplane crash hits the media a few people are concerned because fatalities are huge.

But then I notice how many commercial planes take off and land at EVERY major airport every day.

That puts it into perspective .

Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM

1,901 posts, read 762,901 times
Yes, I'm scared. I have young children at home who need me and I'm very involved in their lives. I want to live to know what kind of people they become.

You can even be gunned down at the grocery store, of all places. A festival, church, movie theater. Mark Ruffalo's tweet is correct. He listed all the places you can't go to for fear of being shot and killed. He said (not sure if serious or sarcastic) that the airport was the only safest place because guns aren't allowed in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or