U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM

1,907 posts, read 762,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Not in the top 69 things I worry about. Cancer, car crash, jealous husbands, asteroid, aneurysm are all a lot higher on my lists of ways for me or my family to die.
I'm scared of health problems taking my life before old age too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM

769 posts, read 496,932 times
No not afraid at all. While these shootings are absolutely horrible on every level... Crime and rape is considerably lower today then it was in the 70's and 80's. Other then the media exaggerating their narrative and obsession with everything being a politicians fault (pick any side), things are actually pretty good these days.

So no, not worried.

You child is more likely to die from Heart Disease or Cancer. 60% of all deaths are one of those two. 7% in an auto accident. Rather then worrying about being shot in a public place, worry about the exercise and what you eat. It's considerably more likely to kill you.

HOWEVER, I do believe that the media is amplifying problems with intentions of creating problems. Perception pushes reality into being true. Negativity generate clicks. A race/class/lifestyle war would generate a lot of clicks. More clicks puts more people into their echo chambers. Feeding the narrative until it is a self fulfilling. A bonanza of $$$ fueled by animosity. Art is influencing life rather then just being a reflection of it. Homicide is only 0.9% of all US deaths! Not even one percent. Yet the media makes it sound like its 90%. ....Reality verses perception...

Bill Gates - "I’m always amazed by the disconnect between what we see in the news and the reality of the world around us. As my late friend Hans Rosling would say, we must fight the fear instinct that distorts our perspective: https://b-gat.es/2WvUqqp " Check out the link.

My advice is turn off the endless cycle of negativity news cycles. It's all entertainment of the worst kind and not really "news" anyways. Your heart will be better off without it.

Last edited by 2Loud; Yesterday at 12:52 PM..

Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM

6,881 posts, read 3,835,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Iím so afraid that a mentally ill or an otherwise hate-filled person will shoot up my area, and I get so worried about my spouse, sister, niece, nephews (triplets) will be hurt or worse. Why do we have to worry about this so much? Why do people do these things?
I think if I were a minority, it would be a real concern. Or a child. Those seem to be the main targets.

But as a white 60-something woman, I am more likely, and therefore more concerned about, getting cancer or Alzheimer's. And house problems...I keep having house problems.

But if I were young or had young children, I probably wouldn't spend that much time in large crowded places with them, esp if we were minorities. That's where we are at in this country, now, unfortunately.

Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM

6,881 posts, read 3,835,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
No not afraid at all. While these shootings are absolutely horrible on every level... Crime and rape is considerably lower today then it was in the 70's and 80's. Other then the media exaggerating their narrative and obsession with everything being a politicians fault (pick any side), things are actually pretty good these days.

So no, not worried.

HOWEVER, I do believe that the media is amplifying problems with intentions of creating problems. Perception pushes reality into being true. Negativity generate clicks. A race/class/lifestyle war would generate a lot of clicks. More clicks puts more people into their echo chambers. Feeding the narrative until it is a self fulfilling. A bonanza of $$$ fueled by animosity. Art is influencing life rather then just being a reflection of it.
That's like trying to make 9/11 seem not so bad, because crime in NY was lower at the time. Yay.

Domestic terrorism does not fall into the normal causes of death in this country. It comes from radicalized people, targeting totally innocent victims for their radical causes, and therefore comes out of nowhere, connected to nothing (except the cause of hate). It's different. It's unrelated to the normal causes of death in this country, whether it be death from cancer, car accidents, heart attacks, drug deals gone bad, or whatever.

The media isn't exaggerating the numbers. Facts are persistent things. They exist, whether anyone announces them or promotes them, or not. We have had more people killed by domestic terrorism since 9/11 than were killed on 9/11. There have been over 2,000 mass shootings since Sandy Hook.

If you want to talk about media, remember how the right wing media insisted for years that Sandy Hook never happened? That it was a hoax? That those children did not have their faces blown off? Another conspiracy theory was that some guy (who is now dead as a victim) was the one who did it. There's your ridiculous media...that anyone would even believe such an idiotic theory shows you how out of it they must be. Those conspiracy theories didn't stop until a lawsuit judgment made them stop. And the pain that all that "media" coverage caused the parents of the dead and injured children was unbelievable. Of course, such conspiracy theories aren't reported in legitimate news (the ones that someone doesn't want you to read).

Read the legitimate news,and you'll get the facts. They report who, what, when, where, how...and sometimes why. As Sergeant Friday said, "Just the facts, ma'am."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mass-sh...far-this-year/

A map of all the mass shooting locations since Sandy Hook: https://www.vox.com/a/mass-shootings...k-gun-violence

Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
That's like trying to make 9/11 seem not so bad, because crime in NY was lower at the time. Yay.

Domestic terrorism does not fall into the normal causes of death in this country. It comes from radicalized people, targeting totally innocent victims for their radical causes, and therefore comes out of nowhere, connected to nothing (except the cause of hate). It's different. It's unrelated to the normal causes of death in this country, whether it be death from cancer, car accidents, heart attacks, drug deals gone bad, or whatever.

The media isn't exaggerating the numbers. Facts are persistent things. They exist, whether anyone announces them or promotes them, or not. We have had more people killed by domestic terrorism since 9/11 than were killed on 9/11. There have been over 2,000 mass shootings since Sandy Hook.

If you want to talk about media, remember how the right wing media insisted for years that Sandy Hook never happened? That it was a hoax? That those children did not have their faces blown off? Another conspiracy theory was that some guy (who is now dead as a victim) was the one who did it. There's your ridiculous media...that anyone would even believe such an idiotic theory shows you how out of it they must be. Those conspiracy theories didn't stop until a lawsuit judgment made them stop. And the pain that all that "media" coverage caused the parents of the dead and injured children was unbelievable. Of course, such conspiracy theories aren't reported in legitimate news (the ones that someone doesn't want you to read).

Read the legitimate news,and you'll get the facts. They report who, what, when, where, how...and sometimes why. As Sergeant Friday said, "Just the facts, ma'am."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mass-sh...far-this-year/

A map of all the mass shooting locations since Sandy Hook: https://www.vox.com/a/mass-shootings...k-gun-violence
Hardly blowing it off as you make it sound. It's beyond tragic. Horrifying what these monsters are capable of doing. You wonder where it all went wrong. Especially as you learn there were numerous warning signs that our mental health or authorities missed.

Also Have no idea what "right wing" has to do with this when it's obvious that's outlier media. My link is the Washington Times and NYT. Unless you somehow want this to be some how the right wings fault? ...i guess? No idea where you are going with it. So far the Ohio shooter sounds like a left wing nutt. I don't think this is a left or right wing thing. It's all the same bird.

Which is still 0.7% of the deaths in this country. Because of the medias constant yammering people are longing for the safe good old days. Problems is it was less safe then! If you were not afraid to walk the streets in the 70's and 80's then you should be less likely to be afraid today. 1/2 as many murders today then in 40-50 years ago. HALF!! It really is safer now. That's the point. They do the same with shark attacks. Millions of tourists go to the beach every day, three people get bit and the media goes on for days about it. Changing the perception that millions have been bit. The percentage of those attacked is so immeasurable its disgusting. The media is making people afraid. Of course you should always be guarded and do what you can to protect your family. Everything in your power you should do. But this media exaggeration madness is disgusting. It's making people so afraid. They are winning and we are not.

Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM

108 posts, read 11,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Yes, I'm scared. I have young children at home who need me and I'm very involved in their lives. I want to live to know what kind of people they become.

You can even be gunned down at the grocery store, of all places. A festival, church, movie theater. Mark Ruffalo's tweet is correct. He listed all the places you can't go to for fear of being shot and killed. He said (not sure if serious or sarcastic) that the airport was the only safest place because guns aren't allowed in there.
guns aren't allowed in schools either

Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterkIjon View Post
...Or workplaces. Nearly every office has a no guns sign on the door these days. Yet how many shootings are in the workplace?

Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM

10,387 posts, read 12,375,430 times
legendary case: Bernie Goetz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_N...ubway_shooting

Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM

1,907 posts, read 762,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SterkIjon View Post
Right, but shootings have occurred at schools.

Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM

1,443 posts, read 427,093 times
No, not at all. Granted anything can happen anywhere but I have a better chance of getting killed on the freeway from some idiot than dying in a mass shooting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or