U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 02:52 PM

768 posts, read 498,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
No, not at all. Granted anything can happen anywhere but I have a better chance of getting killed on the freeway from some idiot than dying in a mass shooting.
Got that right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 03:42 PM

2,424 posts, read 2,446,821 times
The OP opened up this thread by asking "Is anyone afraid of mass shootings in your area?" (emphasis added here by myself)

A mass shooting can happen whether you're situated in New York City or Bozeman, MT or Couer d'Alene, ID or Baltimore, MD or Chicago, UL or Murfreesboro, TN or Washington, D.C. or out at a truck stop on a remote highway in the middle of Wyoming or in Paris, France or at a bowling alley in Las Vegas, NV or at a public library in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada or while visiting a museum or restaurant in Reykjavik, Iceland or visiting a religious site in India . . . or . . . or . . . or . . . or . . . or . . . or . . . or . . . or . . . or . . . or . . . or . . . or . . . or . . . or . . . or . . . or . . . or . . . or . . . or . . . or . . . or . . . or . . . or . . . or . . . anyplace at all and at anytime at all.

There is zero predictability as to what happens in life from day to day or even from moment to moment. You can attend indoor and outdoor concerts throughout your entire life (with nothing eventful happening while attending) and then, when you're 74 years of age and attending an indoor or outdoor concert, some single person or group (whether mentally ill or deranged or whether driven by political or religious or racial/ethnic or whatever other motives) can attack out-of-the-blue and cause death and mayhem.

So how, knowing that all that was stated above is undeniably true, can one decide how to conduct their life from day to day? Just stay at home and never venture out? Hey, you can be in your home (thinking you're safe and secure in there) and unexpectedly be the victim of a home invasion or a gas explosion or building-wide fire. Or an out-of-control aircraft can come plummeting down from the sky and crash into your home or your apartment building or into the store or shopping center or mall you happen to be shopping in. All these things have happened at one time or another.

In summary: One just has to decide to live their life and take prudent precautions while doing so . . . but, as Benjamin Franklin is attributed as having once stated: "There are no guarantees in life except death and taxes" (his exact quote is "In this world, nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes").

Last edited by UsAll; 08-06-2019 at 03:50 PM..

Old 08-06-2019, 03:59 PM

22,189 posts, read 14,580,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Most of the recent shootings have been motivated by racism or political differences and amounts to domestic terrorism. That needs to be addressed instead of dismissing it all as generic "mental illness."
I agree with this. I think the mass shooting is a template for unstable minds who lack real imagination. They follow the template. They do this because they have been radicalized by things they have read or seen on the internet. I do not think you can blame this solely on violent videogames, although I suspect that playing them habitually might desensitize someone to doing violence to humans.

The common denominator seems to be unhappy white men, usually pretty young. Of course there are exceptions to this, but often it does seem to be unhappy, young white guys.

Our current president gives them cover, but he is not the cause. He is a symptom, as are the radicalizing videos that people watch.

To use language from Star Wars, they have moved to the Dark Side. They have camped out and wallowed in outrage and denied entitlement. Possibly they have some mental illness; possibly they have some other dysfunction. I don't know. But plenty of people with mental illness and other dysfunction do not buy assault rifles and shoot people indiscriminately. These guys have damaged themselves and then they have damaged others.

I do not believe in capital punishment usually. But I would like to see the Gilroy shooter tried, sentenced and executed. (Yeah, I know. There is no capital punishment in California.)

Old 08-06-2019, 04:10 PM

768 posts, read 498,012 times
It does seem that most of these shooters are white and broken young men. They also don't appear to be from rural "hunting" type of communities if that makes sense. Most seem to be suburban city boy types. Does not seem to be geared toward racism in most cases in what I see. Yes of course there has been some, but in most cases it's just go-where-there-are-lots-people-gathered-to-maximize-the-damage. Also interesting how there are multiple warning signs for many of these.

But yet half the violent crime in this country is caused by 5% of the population (black 18-35 year old males). But no one notices because it's not all at once. Yet far outpaces these mass shootings. In Chicago they call that a weekend.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:29 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,026,123 times
No, I live in Hawaii and we have the highest rate of MACHETE violence, but lowest gun violence.

https://www.kitv.com/story/40879968/...cD-euVNle9Uguo

Old 08-06-2019, 05:49 PM

6,598 posts, read 6,862,308 times
I tend not to worry about things I can't control...I am much more concerned about my kids being hurt in cars accidents...for my own safety sake, I'm not worried about mass shootings...

Old 08-06-2019, 06:34 PM

45,457 posts, read 36,588,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Not really. There’s an inflated sense of ego that Texans are armed, therefore a mass shooter would get Swiss cheesed almost immediately. I’m not so sure that’s the case, but there’s no sense that anyone will do anything differently out of a fear of a mass shooting.

Less than 4 percent of Texans are licensed to carry a gun. That's about mid line when it comes to the other states, about the same percentage as Oregon. Much lower percentage than many other states, for instance, Pennsylvania has a much higher rate of gun licensing.

To address the other issues - I DO think about it more than I used to. I consider the possibility. I think about an escape route just about every time I go anywhere. I am not paralyzed with fear, and I don't avoid public places, but I have always been more of a "better safe than sorry" person anyway. Plus I have always believed that if we THINK about what we would do in a worst case scenario, we will probably default to that thought process if the unthinkable happens. So I don't mind thinking about it, and then I put it aside and enjoy myself.

The odds are definitely in my favor. But I also don't run outside in the yard during a thunderstorm, or drive recklessly, or (fill in the blank with risky behaviors). I definitely don't live in fear but I do realize that life is precarious and that the death rate for the human race is 100 percent.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 08-06-2019 at 06:42 PM..

Old 08-06-2019, 08:40 PM

9,618 posts, read 11,004,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
Worry?? It depends on
where you live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Less than 4 percent of Texans are licensed to carry a gun. That's about mid line when it comes to the other states, about the same percentage as Oregon. Much lower percentage than many other states, for instance, Pennsylvania has a much higher rate of gun licensing...
I live in a constitutional carry state. No one knows who is armed. I feel very safe.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:48 PM

36,877 posts, read 42,204,772 times
It should be noted that having being victimized by random violence as a source of anxiety that lives in your head doesn't actually preclude one from having other worries. Believe me, one can worry about auto accidents, a partner dying, road ragers, cancer diagnoses, tornadoes, whatever...and also worry about people going on public shooting rampages.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:39 PM

51 posts, read 9,904 times
I've lived in Denver/Aurora and I live in Las Vegas but I figure if it is my time to leave the earth that's it, I'm not going to worry about being killed in a mass shooting.

I tend to avoid crowds as a general rule as an introvert but I do shop at Wal-Mart sometimes...
I don't worry about being killed in a mass shooting though~

The thing I think about with these shootings is that people have guns, where were they when these young white boys were shooting up and killing people? It seems to counter the argument that a well armed society is safer, since no one stopped these boys with their guns!

Last edited by FierceKaia; 08-06-2019 at 11:39 PM.. Reason: formatting issue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or