Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 02:02 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,641,430 times

Advertisements

I’m so afraid that a mentally ill or an otherwise hate-filled person will shoot up my area, and I get so worried about my spouse, sister, niece, nephews (triplets) will be hurt or worse. Why do we have to worry about this so much? Why do people do these things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 02:06 PM

1,210 posts, read 887,776 times
Not in the top 69 things I worry about. Cancer, car crash, jealous husbands, asteroid, aneurysm are all a lot higher on my lists of ways for me or my family to die.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:18 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,982,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I’m so afraid that a mentally ill or an otherwise hate-filled person will shoot up my area, and I get so worried about my spouse, sister, niece, nephews (triplets) will be hurt or worse. Why do we have to worry about this so much? Why do people do these things?

...get a grip, will ya....does anyone in your family drive a car, do you sit at the window and worry until they get home....

Old 08-05-2019, 06:20 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
My neighbor told me she is afraid to go to the mall. We live in CT where Sandy Hook took place and she spoke with people who had seen it. Ever since then she's been afraid.

It never occurred to me to be afraid to be in a public place. But it is starting to be the new normal. When it happened at Sandy Hook, it was due to mental illness. That's something that needs to be addressed. Many of these shootings are done with guns that are legal but the person is mentally ill.

I think it could be partly due to violent video games that make this seem exciting and even fun. But if you live in a state with strict guns laws, you are safer than those people who live in places with hardly any laws. I'm not ever going to go to Texas or any other place that has weak laws. Yet there is mental illness everywhere and it's not really being addressed.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:22 PM

950 posts, read 691,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Worry?? It depends on
where you live.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:22 PM

8,478 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Not really. There’s an inflated sense of ego that Texans are armed, therefore a mass shooter would get Swiss cheesed almost immediately. I’m not so sure that’s the case, but there’s no sense that anyone will do anything differently out of a fear of a mass shooting.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:45 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
No.

Changing my lifestyle would be succumbing to the goals of terrorism, and I'm not going to do that. I take very cautious steps in my normal daily life, but I'm not going to be afraid to go out.

I absolutely disagree that this is the new normal. These are all extraordinary, horrible events that still don't outnumber the total people shot and killed by "ordinary" gun violence around the country.

We still have systemic issues that we all need to address. Staying glued to network TV as they exploit these tragedies would be a waste of my time.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:11 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,548,044 times
No, not at all. I'm more afraid of being accosted by a vagrant, as has been happening in my area, than being shot. I'm not going to let these shootings stop me from going where I want or doing what I want.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:17 PM

1,665 posts, read 973,349 times
Our town does not let it interfere with our lives. Our hearts goes out to the victims and their families. We CANNOT let mass shootings dictate our fears!!!

We conduct drills in empty buildings. Everything from the initial call, to the response, staging police and EMS personnel and extraction teams. Very intense training I might add. We just hope and pray that it doesn't happen around here.

Oh... I might add...many people knows each other, and 1 out of I'd say 3 people are armed. Be it open carry or concealed. Yea, one person might go off the deep end but I'm quite sure it would be stopped as soon as it started

Old 08-05-2019, 08:17 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
I am only afraid of being caught unprepared and unarmed. That would REALLY make me angry.

I would suggest you take a class in tactical self defense and learn how to defend yourself and others.

Then you won't have to be afraid because you'll have a plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology