U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 12:01 AM

137 posts, read 115,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
I consider myself a smart person. I pick up on things and can learn jobs fast but whenever I have to figure out anything mathematical with pricing (which is rare since it usually auto populates or I just add a percentage) I get confused and need to have my boss or a coworker walk me through it. In HS I was behind in math and never got passed algebra. Never took physics or calculus. Always had a tutor. I remember only one teacher that was able to explain algebra a certain way that I got it. Now I even have trouble with simple math. I couldnít even remember old school division. Why is it so hard for me to grasp. I feel like I have to read things 10 times if I have a convoluted price issue at work and I still donít get it. Luckily my job rarely entails this but when it does come up. I feel stupid.

It depends on what you want. If you want to be a Genius practice image streaming !. Do it religously for 1 year if you have balls! then come back and tell us your story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 06:34 AM

4,534 posts, read 3,357,531 times
If you actually WANT to learn math, assuming you don't have a learning disability that requires special help, there are lots of free resources out there. For most people, being good at math (not to mention fast at arithmetic) requires lots of practice. Give Khan Academy a go. Math might click now with your adult brain in a way it didn't when you were learning it as a kid.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:04 AM

7,136 posts, read 9,403,882 times
Quote:
I consider myself a smart person. I pick up on things and can learn jobs fast but whenever I have to figure out anything mathematical with pricing (which is rare since it usually auto populates or I just add a percentage) I get confused and need to have my boss or a coworker walk me through it. In HS I was behind in math and never got passed algebra. Never took physics or calculus. Always had a tutor. I remember only one teacher that was able to explain algebra a certain way that I got it. Now I even have trouble with simple math. I couldnít even remember old school division. Why is it so hard for me to grasp. I feel like I have to read things 10 times if I have a convoluted price issue at work and I still donít get it. Luckily my job rarely entails this but when it does come up. I feel stupid.
You're not stupid, any more than a person who has dyslexia and spells like a Martian is stupid. Like me, you have the math version which is called dyscalculia. There's nothing wrong with my IQ, either.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:26 AM

56,750 posts, read 55,094,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
If you actually WANT to learn math, assuming you don't have a learning disability that requires special help, there are lots of free resources out there. For most people, being good at math (not to mention fast at arithmetic) requires lots of practice. Give Khan Academy a go. Math might click now with your adult brain in a way it didn't when you were learning it as a kid.
I picked up a used basic algebra book for $1 from a guy with a street table. I have it in my head that during retirement, I might take up trying to learn what I could not learn when I was young. It's a winter project!

Old 08-09-2019, 09:09 AM

11,324 posts, read 8,533,398 times
Numbers cause my brain to lock up.

You know that stupid "Common Core" math? How convoluted that line of thinking? THAT makes sense to me. Not to learn it like that but it's what my brain has done all its life to overcome the inability to do "normal" math. Why make someone learn it like that when most of us (you) can do math normally?

OP you have to figure or a way to do that pay off your job. Try harder. Hire a Tudor just to work on the work calculations.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:41 AM

246 posts, read 42,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
The correct order of operations is PEMDAS. First process the parens. Then when the equation is purely multiplication and division, process FROM LEFT TO RIGHT.
=48/2*12 = 24*12 = 288.
288 is always correct.
2 is always incorrect.

Google, Matlab, HP Calculators, and Excel all return 288.
To be honest, this is not a math problem; it is "order of operations" gotcha
It all depends whether there is a difference between "/" and ":". In some approaches ":" represents a divisor line, thus having all before it as "top" and everything after it as "bottom". That's why it is advisable to always use parentheses. Otherwise even calculators take it differently :

Old 08-09-2019, 09:42 AM

411 posts, read 466,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
When I was a kid in grade school, I missed a lot of school in 4th and 5th grade because I was sick a lot with asthma. I missed a lot of math, and from that point on, I was bad at math.

When I went to community college, I had to take a remedial math class. I am so glad I did. The teacher basically started from 1st grade stuff, through algebra. Understanding that everything builds on the previous steps, she (the teacher) helped to like...lay down the basic building blocks, and keep building on what I previously learned, and how it's all related. It helped me so much!

OP, if you wanted, maybe that's what you could do. See if you can take a remedial math class at your local CC.
Excellent suggestion, Sassybluesy, about the remedial math class. I would also recommend www.khanacademy.org. Navigate to the math section, and you will find very informative videos with many examples ranging from elementary arithmetic all the way to mid-college level math. There are also many practice exercises with hints to guide you through them.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:22 AM

3,664 posts, read 1,604,213 times
Quote:
This is me, too! I got straight As in school, but a D in math. Even WITH tutors and remedial stuff.

I have come to the conclusion that it IS a special part of the brain that some have and some don't (functionally, anyway). I believe it is a "gift" like music or foreign language ability. I have neither of those, either!

DH can do math but cannot spell AT ALL and is always screaming out "How do you spell---", THEN marveling at how could I possibly know that?

We're all wired differently. I did teach myself to keep the books at our business though, as that seemed more logical and concrete. I figure out budgets for home use.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:26 AM

3,598 posts, read 1,973,992 times
Working in a HS I've seen this many times. It's a bummer for the otherwise academically successful kids to discover they suck at math because it may turn them away from many potentially interesting and lucrative careers. It can also create social separation between them and their previous cohort of high achieving peers. It's sad to see many of them try to hide or otherwise deny their difficulties. However, most eventually come to accept and work around it somehow.

In summary, a "dumb" person will struggle with math, but to struggle with math doesn't mean you're "dumb".

Old 08-09-2019, 01:15 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,103,312 times
I always liked math and found it rather easy. My reason was that it is pretty much exact. You learn and study the formulas and order of operations etc.. and there typically is only one way to do the problem. Things like Literature always drove me nuts. History was another easy one. Can't change the past. What happened is what happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or