U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM

417 posts, read 168,407 times

Advertisements

I consider myself a smart person. I pick up on things and can learn jobs fast but whenever I have to figure out anything mathematical with pricing (which is rare since it usually auto populates or I just add a percentage) I get confused and need to have my boss or a coworker walk me through it. In HS I was behind in math and never got passed algebra. Never took physics or calculus. Always had a tutor. I remember only one teacher that was able to explain algebra a certain way that I got it. Now I even have trouble with simple math. I couldn’t even remember old school division. Why is it so hard for me to grasp. I feel like I have to read things 10 times if I have a convoluted price issue at work and I still don’t get it. Luckily my job rarely entails this but when it does come up. I feel stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM

4,096 posts, read 1,157,521 times
You are NOT stupid! It takes a certain part of your brain to understand and do math. For some people it's intuitive, for others it's not. Some people are good at languages, grammar, spelling etc. Some aren't. Can you add things together like 1 + 1 =2, 2 + 2 = 4? I'm going to assume you can do simple addition. Subtraction is not as simple but still should be do-able. My wife just mentioned a formula cheat sheet. I bet if you googled it you would fine something. If you do, carry it with you.
Good luck!

Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM

208 posts, read 37,642 times
You just weren't taught it the way you can understand it. There are literally no dumb questions when learning. If someone has made you feel dumb cause you ask a question they just aren't the right teacher for you.

Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM

38,391 posts, read 56,214,899 times
You might have a condition called dyscalculia.

There are many easy to understand YouTube tutorials on the net if you want to learn...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM

3,199 posts, read 2,017,055 times
It's the power of 10. Then 50. (50%, or half) ...then the power of 100. Round everything to 10, until you hit 100. Use 100 to do long dividion. Use 10 to do fractions...

I don't think you are stupid, I think your teachers did not communicate well. Europe is smart enough to already use 10 as a basis. Americans need to catch up, makes math so much easier.

Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM

14,851 posts, read 9,205,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
I consider myself a smart person. I pick up on things and can learn jobs fast but whenever I have to figure out anything mathematical with pricing (which is rare since it usually auto populates or I just add a percentage) I get confused and need to have my boss or a coworker walk me through it. In HS I was behind in math and never got passed algebra. Never took physics or calculus. Always had a tutor. I remember only one teacher that was able to explain algebra a certain way that I got it. Now I even have trouble with simple math. I couldnít even remember old school division. Why is it so hard for me to grasp. I feel like I have to read things 10 times if I have a convoluted price issue at work and I still donít get it. Luckily my job rarely entails this but when it does come up. I feel stupid.
Iím the same way I pick up on this rather quickly but give me anything to do with numbers and Iím lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

There are many easy to understand YouTube tutorials on the net if you want to learn...
I have this and having ADHD on top of it makes things worse.

Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM

6,873 posts, read 2,475,798 times
When I was a kid in grade school, I missed a lot of school in 4th and 5th grade because I was sick a lot with asthma. I missed a lot of math, and from that point on, I was bad at math.

When I went to community college, I had to take a remedial math class. I am so glad I did. The teacher basically started from 1st grade stuff, through algebra. Understanding that everything builds on the previous steps, she (the teacher) helped to like...lay down the basic building blocks, and keep building on what I previously learned, and how it's all related. It helped me so much!

OP, if you wanted, maybe that's what you could do. See if you can take a remedial math class at your local CC.

Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM

986 posts, read 214,964 times
You'd be surprised how many engineers and mathematicians think 48ų2(9+3) = 2. (It doesn't.)

Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM

10,929 posts, read 15,259,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

Nope ..... too darned late. My phone will do it now for me.

Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM

38,391 posts, read 56,214,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Nope ..... too darned late. My phone will do it now for me.
Yeah, depend on gadgets...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or