Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 07:08 AM

1,347 posts, read 944,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
You just prompted another thought...

Who asks another human being for directions anymore? We all have Google Maps on our phones.

My 60 year old fiance refuses to carry a cell phone with him. He has one, (actually two of them) but he leaves them at home like land lines. I'm 40 and I feel distinctly uncomfortable being anywhere without my phone near to hand. It's like my backup brain or something.

My sons, who are around 20-ish in age, are even more dependent on their phones than I am. And use them constantly.

Maybe 20-somethings are not asking you, a stranger, for directions, because they don't need to. They've got an app for that.

I've had a few instances recently where someone approached me in a parking lot or some other public place and said, "Are you from around here?" I used to be wary, but I now know that's a lead-in to asking for directions. Even though they usually have their phone with them, they still have not located their destination (phone directions not accurate, can't figure out where the store is in the giant strip mall, etc). It's the exception moreso than the rule, but it does happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 12:20 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
You just prompted another thought...

Who asks another human being for directions anymore? We all have Google Maps on our phones.

My 60 year old fiance refuses to carry a cell phone with him. He has one, (actually two of them) but he leaves them at home like land lines. I'm 40 and I feel distinctly uncomfortable being anywhere without my phone near to hand. It's like my backup brain or something.

My sons, who are around 20-ish in age, are even more dependent on their phones than I am. And use them constantly.

Maybe 20-somethings are not asking you, a stranger, for directions, because they don't need to. They've got an app for that.

A month or so ago, I was meeting friends for dinner. I parked in a parking garage that was on the same street as the restaurant I was going to. When I walked out of the parking garage, a panhandler asked me if I had any money for a burger and coke (although when I first heard him, I thought he said bourbon and coke.) Anyway, I gave him a couple of dollars.

Well, when I came out of the garage, I didn't know if I needed to turn right or left to get to the restaurant. After I gave the guy some money, I said "Now you can help me. Do you know where such and such restaurant is?" It just so happened that he DID know...so that was convenient. LOL

Old 08-15-2019, 05:58 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times
As you age, you really do get more comfortable with life. If you have a hard time initiating conversation with people like I do, as I got older, I realized people are generally nice and polite and won't hurt me. So if I have something to ask, I can walk up to a person and say ask it.

I have an in-law who's 10 years younger than me and she's naturally more outgoing than me, but has a hard time walking up to a stranger to ask or say something to them.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:04 PM

260 posts, read 129,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
I've had a few instances recently where someone approached me in a parking lot or some other public place and said, "Are you from around here?" I used to be wary, but I now know that's a lead-in to asking for directions. Even though they usually have their phone with them, they still have not located their destination (phone directions not accurate, can't figure out where the store is in the giant strip mall, etc). It's the exception moreso than the rule, but it does happen.
I would be suspicious of someone approaching me in a parking lot with a vague question like that. No one needs to ask directions anymore, and I'm not going to take the chance when I'm alone in a parking lot trying to make it to my car. I'd hop into my car and wouldn't wait to find out which it is. Better safe than sorry, because there just aren't that many people asking for directions anymore. Strip mall stores have addresses on them, or they can call the store directly from the app for directions.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:20 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allison7 View Post

No one needs to ask directions anymore ...

... there just aren't that many people asking for directions anymore. Strip mall stores have addresses on them, or they can call the store directly from the app for directions.
And batteries never run out, service is never down, and phones never get lost.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
And batteries never run out, service is never down, and phones never get lost.
Plug the phone into the car? I've never experienced down service at the same time I'm looking for a strip mall or something new, but I'm not saying it couldn't happen, just that it wouldn't be a regular occurrence and not something that is going to coincidentally happen much for the poster.

He is asking why younger women don't talk to strangers or ask directions, and it's because there really isn't a reason to. If my phone is lost, I'm probably going to be looking for my phone instead of asking a stranger how to get to somewhere I've never been to before.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Plug the phone into the car? I've never experienced down service at the same time I'm looking for a strip mall or something new, but I'm not saying it couldn't happen, just that it wouldn't be a regular occurrence and not something that is going to coincidentally happen much for the poster.

He is asking why younger women don't talk to strangers or ask directions, and it's because there really isn't a reason to. If my phone is lost, I'm probably going to be looking for my phone instead of asking a stranger how to get to somewhere I've never been to before.
It's naive to assume that someone will NEVER have to seek out help from a stranger because technology will always be a reliable option.

Plug the phone into the car ... unless they Ubered.
Lose the phone ... and just look for it without asking anyone around if someone has turned in a phone.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It's naive to assume that someone will NEVER have to seek out help from a stranger because technology will always be a reliable option.

Plug the phone into the car ... unless they Ubered.
Lose the phone ... and just look for it without asking anyone around if someone has turned in a phone.

You're confusing. If they ubered, why would they need to be asking some stranger on the road for directions?

Old 08-15-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
You're confusing. If they ubered, why would they need to be asking some stranger on the road for directions?
If they got dropped off in front of a mixed-use area with lots of businesses.

Or if they get out of the Uber and get purse-snatched. The point is you never know.

Life's not always a best-case scenario.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:57 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
I would be suspicious of someone approaching me in a parking lot with a vague question like that. No one needs to ask directions anymore, and I'm not going to take the chance when I'm alone in a parking lot trying to make it to my car. I'd hop into my car and wouldn't wait to find out which it is. Better safe than sorry, because there just aren't that many people asking for directions anymore. Strip mall stores have addresses on them, or they can call the store directly from the app for directions.
Plenty of people still need to ask directions. For one thing, not everyone has a smart phone. Or they didn't bring it with them. Or the directions aren't clear. I just went to an event downtown today, but got disoriented between the parking garage and the event venue, and had to ask directions. It's normal. However, the chances of young women needing to ask directions are slimmer, since nearly all have the needed technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology