Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2019, 02:49 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,772,904 times

Advertisements

I would say I've felt older than my age since I was a teenager. I'm 34 years old now.

Even as a kid in high school, I became preoccupied with "finding the one."

I never slept or dated around. I never drank (only because I don't like the taste of alcohol).

I started saving up from an early age.

My only long-term relationship has been with my wife, whom I hooked up with at 20 and have been with for over 14 years.

I've been in the same job for 8 years. I've hit a dead end, but I'm much too comfortable to leave. The pay is good, as are the benefits and flexibility I have to take vacations, take late lunches, and go to doctor's appointments.

I work mostly with people in their 50s and 60s.

My favorite subjects? History and psychology. I love traveling to historic cities and hitting up museums and monuments.

When I got married at 29, I told my wife we should buy a condo because I wanted to keep things simple (less space, less expensive, less maintenance).

I bought a Nissan Versa (no frills, affordable car) to save money.

I'm very on top of my health, and usually waste no time heading to the doctor/urgent care when something seems off.

My motto continues to be "Aim for a simple life." We're trying to start a family now, but I only want to have one child.

Do I like playing games (e.g., pool. video games, and basketball) and doing other stuff with friends my age? Of course.

But as you can see, I am sort of like a "young old guy" because I:

- Am risk averse
- Dislike change
- Have the mentality and hobbies of an older person in many ways (living simply, enjoying history lectures)

I think it has a lot to do with my upbringing. I grew up around women (mom, grandma, 2 sisters). My mom is a serious person herself -- the type who'd question why I got anything lower than an A in a class or on a test.

Does this make me unusual? Do you know of any 30-somethings this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 03:41 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
There is no one way to be young—or old.

I would say you don’t like change or inconvenience. And you are somewhat risk adverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology