Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 06:18 PM

228 posts, read 208,292 times

Advertisements

I overheard one of my coworkers yesterday saying how I am boring when she was talking to another coworker. She said that I am too quiet. I work in a cafe. I work back in the kitchen with two other people. I work with a girl and another boy. The boy is very talkative and has a good personality. The girl and him talk a lot. I will talk and say something when I feel I can add something to the conversation.

However, the boy leaves earlier than us, and when it is just us two it's quiet. I have Social Anxiety and I am a very quiet person in general. I do better with group interactions as opposed to 1 on 1.

I don't really have any hobbies besides YouTube, Reddit, and surfing the internet. I don't have a whole lot of interests. My coworkers try to get to know me a little bit, and I don't really have anything to say because I don't really do anything outside of work. They ask me what are my hobbies, what kind of movies do I like, etc.

It hurt when she said that I was boring. She said that Darren (The other coworker) makes the job more enjoyable.

This isn't the first time I've been told that I was boring.

How can I be a more interesting/exciting person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 10:11 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,506,193 times
I don't know how you can appear more interesting but my advice would be to not worry about it. I'm assuming you're fairly young, as are your coworkers. I kind of felt the same way about myself when I was younger. Now that I'm older I couldn't care less if others thought I was boring. I'm introverted and don't like to waste my time talking to people I don't want to even for the sake of small talk. I'm not rude but I don't feel I have a lot to gain from talking to most people. They don't interest me. I realize my advice won't work for everyone, as some really care about how others view them, but that's all I can say to you.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:48 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,921,573 times
You say you don’t have any special interests. Well, why don’t you? Surely there is something you’d like to try or experience. You might start from there.

And if you see a movie every week, or read a book from time to time, you could talk about those things.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:02 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,287,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post
I overheard one of my coworkers yesterday saying how I am boring when she was talking to another coworker. ?
In my experience, people who complain that someone else is boring, is someone who is boring themselves and thinks others should fulfill a need for excitement in their life. It is not your job to entertain other people.

I wouldn't worry about this person's comment. Just keep being who you are.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:39 AM

22,844 posts, read 18,124,688 times
You aren't going to impress every person you meet OP. Don't bother trying. This says more about the speaker than it does about you. People who don't bother to make an effort to know or understand someone often say they are boring. Now if YOU agree with her, cultivate some interests. Don't fall back on the same things you always do. Take your brain on a walk once in a while.

Old 09-19-2019, 04:28 AM

7,568 posts, read 4,111,256 times
That coworker is rude and she sounds boring expecting other people to fill her need for entertainment. My only advice to you if you want to change is to become more curious about activities in your area. Pick one that keeps you active.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:01 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,837,400 times
Find a hobby or two; dancing, bicycling, golf, tennis, chess, hiking, bowling, the choices are almost endless.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:54 AM

3,264 posts, read 1,774,019 times
Quote:
I overheard one of my coworkers yesterday saying how I am boring when she was talking to another coworker. She said that I am too quiet. I work in a cafe. I work back in the kitchen with two other people. I work with a girl and another boy. The boy is very talkative and has a good personality. The girl and him talk a lot. I will talk and say something when I feel I can add something to the conversation.

However, the boy leaves earlier than us, and when it is just us two it's quiet. I have Social Anxiety and I am a very quiet person in general. I do better with group interactions as opposed to 1 on 1.

I don't really have any hobbies besides YouTube, Reddit, and surfing the internet. I don't have a whole lot of interests. My coworkers try to get to know me a little bit, and I don't really have anything to say because I don't really do anything outside of work. They ask me what are my hobbies, what kind of movies do I like, etc.

It hurt when she said that I was boring. She said that Darren (The other coworker) makes the job more enjoyable.

This isn't the first time I've been told that I was boring.

Do not try to be who you are not.

That never works and will come off as phony.

Find a group of people like you to hang out with - you'll fit in better.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:22 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,046,845 times
Quote:

The question is, do you really want to? Are you not living your life now doing what you want (internet)? Don't change in order to please anyone much less everyone. But if you do want to be more interesting to others, you have to find something you find really interesting yourself and then share that passion. I'm a rather quiet person myself but I can talk up a storm about scuba diving. I often give presentations to dive groups and carry group conversations about diving. Then when the topic shifts I step back but that's fine because it gives someone else a chance to shine.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:46 AM

21,608 posts, read 9,198,119 times
I agree with people who say be who you are. But you could read a book or see a movie or read a newspaper to broaden your horizons.

I have come to the conclusion in life that people like talkers. Even if they are boring talkers. I know people who drone on and on to the point I want to put a gun to my head but other people seem to like them. I think people like talkers because it takes the pressure off of them.

My sister is a talker and she is funny so people like that. She is rude and talks about inappropriate stuff sometimes. She came to stay at my house once with her daughter and they were into some book and they opened their books and read the entire time they were here. When she first met my husband, she started talking about how their bathtub had poop all over their it. (I can't remember why). But she is a talker so people like her. My dad once told her that people only get so many words in life and she had used up her share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology