Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2023, 10:10 AM

15,761 posts, read 6,802,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
My point is that part of the repulsion for men, per the thread, is that it ISN’T natural. Tamara solidified a good point re: ‘natural bodily functions’.

Do you agree that, at least anatomically/biologically, heterosexual sex is ‘natural’ (and represents the vast majority)? That said, I’m not implying homosexuality is ‘abnormal’, either; it is what it is. However, to suggest it’s somehow more ‘natural’ than heterosexual sex (especially since you claim to be a straight female) is just - odd.

No such claim was made.
The repulsion towards homosexuality for men arises from fear of rape. It is similar to what women experience about being raped. Both fear being penetrated unwillingly. Not sure how much more clearer this can be made to you.
But you go ahead with your shadow boxing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2023, 11:32 AM

8,337 posts, read 3,632,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
The repulsion towards homosexuality for men arises from fear of rape. It is similar to what women experience about being raped. Both fear being penetrated unwillingly.
If you’re a straight female, as you previously stated, it’s odd you’re claiming to be an expert on how straight men feel about homosexuality - particularly relative to violence or fear. Rape is about power and assault, not sex or sexual orientation; it’s psychology 101, per the thread. If one’s fear of something is affecting their behavior or thoughts, something is wrong/unresolved in their head. That I’m disgusted by the thought of sex with another man, obviously, doesn’t mean it’s not appealing for gay men (nor does it have anything to do with rape); I accept it is what it is.

In other words, (the fear of) rape doesn’t have anything to do with a man’s (or woman’s) sexual orientation in a psychologically-healthy individual (or their thoughts about others’ sexuality, for that matter).

Old 11-25-2023, 01:25 PM

315 posts, read 164,418 times
I am not afraid of being raped by gay men, but I don't really like going to shopping for clothes at say Banana Republic or similar stores because it is just awkward being hit on by the gay men who often work there.

I also tend to avoid going to art galleries or other environments like that where I think gay men might hit on me.

What gay men do behind closed doors is something I don't want to think about but it's ultimately their business and if they just left me alone, I would not really care what they do. But I have been hit on by enough gay men where all things considered I would rather not be around them either.

Old 11-25-2023, 03:12 PM

695 posts, read 447,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarNiemeyer View Post
I am not afraid of being raped by gay men, but I don't really like going to shopping for clothes at say Banana Republic or similar stores because it is just awkward being hit on by the gay men who often work there.

I also tend to avoid going to art galleries or other environments like that where I think gay men might hit on me.

What gay men do behind closed doors is something I don't want to think about but it's ultimately their business and if they just left me alone, I would not really care what they do. But I have been hit on by enough gay men where all things considered I would rather not be around them either.
How do you think a lot of women feel when they are hit on constantly by men they have no interest in? Sometimes situations can become very dangerous for them, too. This is much less common with straight men being hit on by gay men, although male homophobia can lead to incredible violence.

I don't have answers for all of this things that make us uncomfortable in life. It's just life - we are all going to have aversions to things we don't like until death. Not much you can do. You can go meditate like a monk in the forest; but even them, something will annoy you. It's possible you'll see two male animals sniffing each other's genitals, as they size each other up before mating.

Peace.

Old 11-26-2023, 10:37 AM

8,337 posts, read 3,632,601 times
Quote:
You must not live in the Bay Area, LA, or any other large metro area if you essentially hide for fear of ‘awkwardness’ at being ‘hit on’ by gay men (or anyone). As a straight man in my 40’s, being approached by a gay man is no different than a woman I have no interest in. You decline and move on.

Quote:
Heh, they are in all environments i.e. not just Banana Republic or art galleries - including professionally. Be confident in who you are; why hide or alter your behavior for fear of ‘awkwardness’. It’s not as if folks (whether gay men or straight women) are going to battle you over being interested or not, lol.

Old 11-26-2023, 12:04 PM

1,022 posts, read 550,142 times
Lol @ being afraid of being hit on by gay men in Banana Republic or art galleries?

Is this actually a thing?

I guess this is "extreme" homophobia.

I have NEVER been hit on by gay men @ the above venues. Maybe I'm not as handsome as said poster :P

The way I see it is this... if anybody hits on you (flirts?) then maybe take it as a compliment?

A gay man will not continue hitting on you if you show that you aren't interested. Trust me you aren't that hot

Old 11-26-2023, 12:08 PM

1,657 posts, read 1,032,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Lol @ being afraid of being hit on by gay men in Banana Republic or art galleries?

Is this actually a thing?

I guess this is "extreme" homophobia.

I have NEVER been hit on by gay men @ the above venues. Maybe I'm not as handsome as said poster :P

The way I see it is this... if anybody hits on you (flirts?) then maybe take it as a compliment?

A gay man will not continue hitting on you if you show that you aren't interested. Trust me you aren't that hot
A Navy man I knew told me when he had to deal with aggressive LadyBoys...He would kick them out the way and continue on his way.

I'll leave it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology