Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 11:43 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I don't like to listen to music in the house. The only time I like music is when I'm driving. I do usually have a dvd on in the background when I am doing these kind of chores at night. I have a few complete sets, Friends, Mary Tyler More, stuff like that, that I cycle through, to distract me.

I just find it so odd, that it's just these two things, and I've been like that my whole life.
Baggage from your childhood, (childhood angst?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2020, 05:49 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
This topic grabbed me enough that I’ve been thinking about it in my off internet hours and I have a theory about why some people hate to put away clothes or dishes and this one is from my life experience. I’ve noticed that when I have let myself get cluttered and I have too much stuff then it’s more difficult to put things away. Like if you’re having to search for more space and move things out of the way to put your things away, you’re not going to enjoy those tasks. The solution of course is to go thru and get rid of things you can do without so it’s easy to put the remaining things away and I’m guessing you would enjoy it way more.

But ooh ooh...another thing I hate is sending things in the mail. I put that off as long as I can and in the past it’s gotten me in trouble with late bills. I’m smart but I ain’t got no sense sometimes!

Old 12-25-2020, 09:37 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,322,407 times
I can do anything in the house. But one thing I hate the most is cleaning the bathrooms and especially the toilets. No matter what, I have to do it anyway because if I don't do it, nobody does. My husband takes care of the car for me and many other heavy works. So, even I hate so much to scrub the sinks, the toilet bowls inside and out, to mop the floors, to clean the mirrors, I just have to force myself to do it. I turn on the music and think about how lucky I am to have a nice house to live in, and I feel grateful about that, and eventually the work is done.

Old 12-26-2020, 09:14 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,634,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
All my life. I hate to put the clean dishes away, and I hate to put the clean laundry away. What IS that? I've always been like this. It was kind of a family joke even, when I was a kid, when it was my week to do the dishes (whether it was washing by hand or when we had a dishwasher, I HATED unloading the dishwasher) or my week to do the laundry. Now I'm 60 years old and I STILL hate to empty the dish drainer (I don't have a dishwasher) or take the clothes off the drying racks (I don't have a clothes dryer), fold them and put them away in the drawers.

I don't mind doing laundry. I don't mind washing dishes. I don't mind cooking or cleaning or picking up the cats' toys and putting them away. I never leave dirty clothes lying around, they always get put in the basket. My shoes are taken off and put where my shoes go, my coat is hung up where my coats go, hats and mittens are put where they go.

Papers are filed. Books are put back in the bookcase. DVDs and cds are put back into their proper cases and put back in order on the shelf.

But the dishes sit in the drainer until I am about to wash dishes again, and then I grumble and moan because I can't wash the dishes until I put the clean ones away. Laundry hangs on the drying racks until I do a wash, and need to clear space for the new wash. I'll take the clothes and fold them and want to just set them somewhere, I have to force myself to put them away, right then and I am always grumbling and moaning to myself as I do it.

I can't figure out what that is all about. It doesn't seem, at this late date, that I will ever change. But I wish I could get over it. It's annoying, all that negative energy.

You mentioned being 60, some people, assuming that you are female, go through the "change of life" around that period of their lives.

https://ezinearticles.com/?Menopause...fe!&id=1166441

It is perfectly normal. Now and then we feel that same way too, believe it or not. So you are a normal regular 60 yr old. Everyone has things they just like to do a certain way.

Old 12-26-2020, 09:27 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,634,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
My spouse and I take turns doing these chores. The only difference is that I rinse the dishes pretty well before putting them in the dishwasher. She says that's the dishwashers job. Neither of us mind putting dishes away. Our dishwasher is located where you only have to walk 3 steps or less to put them in the cupboards. We are both retired so we have lots of time to do them at our leisure. I also love folding clothes. Getting them nicely folded and putting them away.
Maybe you should listen to some music you like while doing these chores. My $.02.
We like to do rinse off the dishes right after the meal prior to washing them. They are easier to clean that way. After they are done we can relax and not have another pending chore to be done. Also the dried on food is harder to clean if you let them sit too long. We prefer to let the dishes air dry and not use a towel to dry them. Then we leave what is done there instead of putting them away so they are ready to use. Sometimes we do put them away, helps declutter things.

Old 12-27-2020, 06:59 AM

9,447 posts, read 5,212,640 times
I could care less if the dish drainer is full of clean dishes...but I cannot stand a sink full of dirty dishes. Nope, no way.

I'm also very slow to put away clean laundry. It seems I could conclude, that if the items are clean, I don't really need to worry about them, but if they are laying around dirty, that's what bothers me.

Old 12-28-2020, 03:46 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,527,393 times
Why not just do it and not spend time obsessing about why you don’t like to? We all have things in life we would rather not do but, need to be done. What is the point in trying to figure out a deeper meaning? Just do it and move on.

Old 12-28-2020, 06:50 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,125,092 times
Same here.. almost the 2 worst chores... putting laundry away and unstacking the dishwasher. Of course, I do it.. but ..ugh. But I enjoy ironing... go figure.

Old 12-28-2020, 06:53 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I think everyone hates certain chores. I hate doing dishes and folding laundry.

I never wondered why, just don't like it.

Though if I have a good audiobook or podcasts, I can power through most chores with little pain.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-10-2021, 06:35 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
I am glad I started this thread. Reading about everyone else and their pet hated chores has helped me a lot. I am grateful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology