Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 02:28 PM

433 posts, read 529,871 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who would say not only that the glass is half empty, but, someone is going to steal the rest (and the glass.) Life is always just one supposed disaster after another. It got me to wondering what makes a person like this? And, what, if anything, can be done to change?

I recently ran across some TED talks on YouTube that I found interesting. Apparently a Dr. Martin Seligman has been researching, and writing on this subject. Has anyone here had experience with his studies, books, etc.?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/are-y...he-t_b_4234395

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CpLEOO5oyo

Thank you for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 07:39 AM

4,110 posts, read 2,995,189 times
One coworker said about another coworker: Some people see the glass as half-full, others see it as half-empty, his glass is leaking.

Old 01-15-2021, 04:04 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,647,959 times
This is kind of a rant, and I have worked hard NOT to dwell on the negatives...

And I find so many and plenty on this C-D forum who are so into gloom and doom and their glass is really leaking...I try to post some counter comments to their gloom and doom and get "knocked down"...

We have so much to be thankful for and so many dwell on gloom, doom and even dying issues...I'm thinking of one of the forums I have posted on with Positive comments...

Old 01-15-2021, 04:06 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,193,413 times
I am an optimistic realist. Pessimism is so sad.

Old 01-15-2021, 06:01 PM

23,062 posts, read 18,442,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
This is kind of a rant, and I have worked hard NOT to dwell on the negatives...

And I find so many and plenty on this C-D forum who are so into gloom and doom and their glass is really leaking...I try to post some counter comments to their gloom and doom and get "knocked down"...

We have so much to be thankful for and so many dwell on gloom, doom and even dying issues...I'm thinking of one of the forums I have posted on with Positive comments...
It is always possible to take positivity to an extreme...ending up in denial. I suspect people come down on you sometimes because of that. For some, though their outward motivation appears helpful, what they really want is another opportunity to brag/preach their personal mantra. Eventually people catch on and stop tolerating it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-15-2021 at 06:23 PM..

Old 01-15-2021, 08:09 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,647,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
It is always possible to take positivity to an extreme...ending up in denial. I suspect people come down on you sometimes because of that. For some, though their outward motivation appears helpful, what they really want is another opportunity to brag/preach their personal mantra. Eventually people catch on and stop tolerating it.
I'm not in denial and if we the people can't find more Good than Bad in their Lives then Sad for these people...I could go on and on about not being able to walk much for the last 5 yrs but really work on that Not to...I have so much to be thankful for and at least I can walk. LIKE most here I would think.

And You have no clue how I feel and thank goodness I have friends who have some nasty health issues and we talk about them and make sure we do plenty of laughing as all in all our lives have been very very good. And we do reflect on all the good.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-15-2021 at 08:38 PM..

Old 01-15-2021, 09:44 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,890,565 times
I am a realist.

Old 01-15-2021, 11:27 PM

23,141 posts, read 28,906,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
I am an optimistic realist. Pessimism is so sad.
The optimists don't realize there's some big plusses to being a pessimist!

When you're forever thinking the worst is going to happen and it doesn't, then you celebrate and jump up and down and smile!

I've always thought the worst was going to happen to me, and? It never has! But think of all the celebrations along the way.

Optimists? Let's see!

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-17-2021 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: Politics.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:42 PM

2,448 posts, read 887,707 times
I can't imagine going through life as an optimist. I know most will insist this isn't true, and that optimists just pick themselves up again with a smile, but you set yourself up to be constantly disappointed. I saw this with my wife. I didn't attempt to make her pessimistic. I simply said, maybe don't get your hopes up so high most of time?

I base my philosophy on this, along with a couple other things. One, everytime I go into anything thinking, "It will be fine. Everything will be great," it almost invariably turns out badly. In contrast, when I go into something thinking that this may not go well or probably won't go well, it usually doesn't. It took many years for me to figure out why, but then I realized it's because when I think things will go badly, I prepare more. I've seen this same scenario play out with other people. Second, I know that human beings are fallen creatures. Hopelessly flawed. That view doesn't lend itself well to becoming a ****-eyed optimist.

But to each his own, and more power to you.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,037,189 times
People who constantly predict/expect disaster do so to protect themselves from disappointment. It can become a mental habit that is hard to break.

Constant exposure to this behavior is very wearying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology