U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 10:25 AM

11,576 posts, read 8,926,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Well, I'll eat a fish. But no way I'm eating a bug. Bleech !
Never had crabs, shrimp or lobster? All bugs, basically.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 12:04 PM

15,221 posts, read 8,087,707 times
Because stepping on bugs is going out of your way to destroy and one does not care if the entire population lives or dies. Sports fishing, on the other hand, depends on that population surviving. In the pain that the sport generates, there is species survival.

If, say, there are wetlands that a developer wants to fill in for condos, my ally against will be the sports fisherman and not the biologist for the sports fisherman will not want to see his recreation destroyed.

In order to save the all, a few must die.

Old 06-29-2021, 02:38 PM

5,622 posts, read 8,329,277 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9puHtVcU5o

Old 06-29-2021, 02:39 PM

17,872 posts, read 7,699,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBlain View Post
Over the course of time I have noticed a small number of people who immediately dislike it when I step on bugs, with varying degrees of distaste.
Meanwhile: catching fish and releasing them is arguably more brutal but rarely condemned.

What makes you think it is the same people? The people empathisizing with bugs may empathasize just as much with fish but they likely won't be on the fishing boat next to the fisherman to express their distate.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:16 PM

15,013 posts, read 8,595,576 times
Not all of us embrace sport fishing. I see nothing sporting about recreational (as opposed to subsistence) fishing even if the unfortunate fish gets returned to the water alive or its population is "appropriately managed". IMHO its torture to intentionally pierce an aquatic critter's flesh with a sharp object, force it to fight to exhaustion for my entertainment, then haul it out of the environment it is dependent on to gasp and drown in the air while I unhook it and take a brag photo. If I was starving and had nothing to eat other than fish (don't happen to like fish that much), yes, I'd probably catch and kill some.

I accept the fact that I am an omnivore...which includes eating flesh of other beings. I do what I can to be humane about it and I also acknowledge the relative hypocrisy of leaving the butchering of some of my food to someone else. As for killing bugs, it has to be for a good reason; they must be a direct threat to me or my important possessions (like food). Killing bugs just because I don't like them isn't enough of a reason.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-29-2021 at 04:46 PM..

Old 06-29-2021, 05:29 PM

10,929 posts, read 5,485,127 times
Big or small...short of it being a disease carrier or destroying an abode. The critters have equal luxury in doing their own thing.
I often figure those who put forth an effort to dominate and kill something beneath them are missing something in them.
I don't have that killer instinct. Evolution does that for some of us.

As my grandma said. Fight fair.
smashing an insect for existing near your proximity is flippant with a dash of indifference.

But the last laugh is the worms will feast .

Old 06-29-2021, 06:14 PM

36 posts, read 5,141 times
Unhappy  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah
Because stepping on bugs is going out of your way to destroy and one does not care if the entire population lives or dies.
A nice reply Tamara...

I love Nature and I think all lives mean something,not just ours..... I do not step on and kill things.. I have friends that do and it makes me sad they would take a life like that.... The poor things dont deserve that.....

Arent humans supposed to be the ones to set an example??

They arent doing a good job at all.....

Old 06-29-2021, 06:19 PM

5,675 posts, read 3,759,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBlain View Post
Firstly, I'm the kind of guy who steps on bugs, not around them. If there's a bug in my house; I don't "rescue it." I squash it, then flush it. So, that's my very non-objective starting off point on the subject, and I just want to be upfront about that.

With that said, on to the meat and potatoes:

Over the course of time I have noticed a small number of people who immediately dislike it when I step on bugs, with varying degrees of distaste. Some examples: I'm at a restaurant and a creepy looking spider is crawling on the floor near my seat, so I quietly slide my foot over and crunch it. Then someone at the table goes: "that was mean" Or, a bee lands on my glass so I sneak my hand up from the side to give it a flick (which I'm pretty good at btw) and then hear "it was just hungry" right after I've stomped it. Or if I'm playing tennis with a buddy and I stop to bulldoze an ant mound with the toe of my sneaker, he'll half-jokingly go "Come on... what did they do to you?" missing the obvious point that I'm purposely doing it for no reason.

This sort of reaction is more the exception than the rule. Most girls love when I step on a spider for them. Even when I go to step on ants, the most common reaction is indifference.

Meanwhile: catching fish and releasing them is arguably more brutal but rarely condemned.

Fish which are caught then released die all the time, bleeding to death, intended or not. Releasing doesn't mean "not lethal." And everyone who does catch and release fishing is aware of that outcome. That means its done for entertainment, doesn't it? Even worse that it is ritualized. And these are vertebrate organisms with a significantly more developed central nervous system which experiences pain. But people do this to "pass the time." To them this activity is a "hobby."

When I go to stamp my feet on a line of ants during an outdoor lunch, there's a chance I'll get a look from someone... but probably not if I were fishing. However, Attack of the Sharp Flesh-Tearing Hook seems more unpleasant than the Attack of the Giant Sneaker. Obviously I'm not a bug or a fish but given the choice, getting one's face punctured by a hook and dragged 20 yards until its torn out and you can't breathe seems way crueler than being crushed instantly under a gargantuan white rubber thing. The smell of my feet would be more traumatic, honestly.

So why is one tolerated but not the other?
Because most of our behaviors are determined by culture. Culture says fishing is something we're supposed to do. It makes no claims that we should be stepping on bugs indoors, so we're free to release the bugs we find indoors, but we're not free to oppose sport fishing.

That's it.

Reason seldom matters to people NEARLY as much as following tradition.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

I suppose you could argue that sport fishing is fun, and teaches people to be better at fishing in general, which can be a food source though. That'll be another reason.

__________________________________________________ __________________

Most, we just follow whatever culture tells us to do though. That's how we live our entire lives too. It's far from isolated to fishing and bugs.

Old 06-29-2021, 06:27 PM

3,290 posts, read 1,310,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Because most of our behaviors are determined by culture. Culture says fishing is something we're supposed to do. It makes no claims that we should be stepping on bugs indoors, so we're free to release the bugs we find indoors, but we're not free to oppose sport fishing.

That's it.

Reason seldom matters to people NEARLY as much as following tradition.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

I suppose you could argue that sport fishing is fun, and teaches people to be better at fishing in general, which can be a food source though. That'll be another reason.

__________________________________________________ __________________

Most, we just follow whatever culture tells us to do though. That's how we live our entire lives too. It's far from isolated to fishing and bugs.
Whose culture are you talking about, exactly?

Old 06-29-2021, 06:31 PM

6,903 posts, read 10,496,352 times
Bugs are part of the ecosystem. It's pretty sadistic to revel in killing something and make a show out of it. Bugs pose no threat to you, they are trying to exist on this world same as we are, why kill them? Really makes me question the character of someone who enjoys killing, even if it is a bug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology