Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2021, 05:49 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times

Advertisements

Anytime a political argument is looming with someone I have a way of stopping them dead in their tracks: All arguments are juvenile, 2 people with their minds already made up, bashing their heads against one another.

And yes, I have to agree, it's fun, sometimes, to be a juvenile once again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2021, 09:20 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,421,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Anytime a political argument is looming with someone I have a way of stopping them dead in their tracks: All arguments are juvenile, 2 people with their minds already made up, bashing their heads against one another.

And yes, I have to agree, it's fun, sometimes, to be a juvenile once again.
It is possible for 2 people with different ideas to educate each other and realize they actually agree. But it depends on not feeling or expressing any anger. Anger and logic are not compatible.

Sometimes I hear someone going on "blahda blahda bla" on some kind of robotic boring rant. I pretend to listen silently until their battery finally runs down. I remind myself to not try and reason with them.

But there are times when I dare to inject my own opinion. They might actually hear it and think about it. I also try to be open-minded about their opinions.

All that doesn't always work though.

Old 09-18-2021, 09:31 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I think we have several major political tribes in the US, and I think they influence all of us, although we might not be aware of it.

Our thoughts tend to congregate and form constellations based on these political tribes, making it hard to think logically.

For example -- someone says abortion should be illegal, and I start to argue against them, saying why it should be legal at least in some cases. The "liberal" tribe starts lighting up in my brain, and if the conversation goes on to other subjects, I might take the liberal perspective. I might start saying things I don't really believe, because my liberal tribalism has been activated.
I think the core issue is more and more people have made their political tribe part of their core identity. I think that's a serious and dangerous mistake. IMO, the corrupt elites on both sides have deliberately promoted this over the last 30-40 years preciscely because getting people to identify with their 'tribe' makes it easier to control and manipulate people and divide them against each other. They've got many of us right where they want us, unfortunately.

Old 09-20-2021, 09:16 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,421,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think the core issue is more and more people have made their political tribe part of their core identity. I think that's a serious and dangerous mistake. IMO, the corrupt elites on both sides have deliberately promoted this over the last 30-40 years preciscely because getting people to identify with their 'tribe' makes it easier to control and manipulate people and divide them against each other. They've got many of us right where they want us, unfortunately.
I think that could be true. Americans are so busy hating each other, they don't notice how crooked our government has become. Both parties.

Old 09-21-2021, 05:31 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,456,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohangr View Post
I think that's because the words we use as labels are only vague. We have a set of characteristics matched to a word based on our experience with the equivalent parties, but in truth people have different degrees of being liberal and it changes based on the subject.

You said it's hard to think logically sometimes, but I think the word that matches better in that sentence is objectively. Logic is not always objective. so you may think logically, but you are having difficulty being objective cause your "liberal" part lights up.

In the end it always ends up being a discussion of what words really mean. What is objective and what is not. Does the person I'm talking with have the same understanding of the words I am using as I am? That's why I find it useful to always take what someone is saying with a grain of salt.

Just some personal thoughts.^^

Perhaps one day we will have a "Darmok and Jilad at Tanagra" / "Shaka when the walls fell" moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyQ8WDUYX-Y

Sakoth his eyes open

Everything is controlled narrative to sway and propagandize various constituencies to make themselves look best to whichever audience they engage. The news media is used to control and farm the populace.

Big money flows to those most controlled by money powers, so, as they move up the political hierarchy the more 'malleable' the candidates are to their 'funders'. Politicians get 174k to 400k in salary, yet end up making millions through inside information, legislation - regulation, insider trading (by family), payoff from funders for book deals and speaking engagements, etc...

Old 09-22-2021, 05:53 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Hey, I'm Roman Catholic. No one political party represents my beliefs. And actually, I like that.

Old 09-23-2021, 03:12 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,115,740 times
I've become more apathetic. People are far too ingrained in their beliefs. I don't think it should be that way. You should leave room for an opportunity to change your mind. But sadly, that's not the way it is for most people. So if actual dialogue or intelligent discussion on a topic with normal give-and-take cannot happen, then I choose not to bother with it.

"The sky is green, the earth is flat, the doctors are trying to kill us, Trump will resume the presidency in August, oxygen is poison and you will never change my mind of that!"

Welcome to political dialogue in 2021! Nah, no thanks.

Old 09-24-2021, 03:22 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Quote:
I think that could be true. Americans are so busy hating each other, they don't notice how crooked our government has become. Both parties.
Too many people today are looking intently at the leaf, but have lost sight of the tree and the forest!

Old 09-24-2021, 08:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I want to add one more thing about being Roman Catholic. Here in the US, for many years Catholicism was looked down upon and even outlawed. Remember, this nation was founded in part by people who were leaving Europe to get away from Catholicism - it was founded with the Reformation and its ideas in full swing and at the heart of our Constitution. For many decades, Catholicism was seen as answering to the Pope, not to a particular government, and the founders of our nation didn't like that.

Yet another reason to remember that personhood and our inner beliefs often transcend political parties. Political parties come and go.

Old 09-26-2021, 03:13 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Correct. That's the idea. Divert people's attention and divide them against each other in every way possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology