Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2021, 05:26 PM

1,702 posts, read 782,134 times

Advertisements

If you don’t start minding your own business, you might not get to see much more of “your” grandchildren.

Old 09-20-2021, 05:44 PM

2,282 posts, read 1,582,667 times
"...radical/ extremism regarding Covid, communism taking over, vaccines controlling us"

I would just keep them away if you're concerned. Be careful though to control what they hear and see. Eventually, one or all will be exposed to different views at some point. It's always best to know all angles and perspectives about a topic than one view. It's not fair to call them extremists if they strongly believe differently.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-12-2021 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 09-20-2021, 07:48 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
My DIL is obsessed to the point of radical/ extremism regarding Covid, communism taking over, vaccines controlling us, that whole current scene, and my small grandsons are parroting her now and fearful for their safety. How harmful can this get? I’ve tried to talk with her about it but she just gets defensive and now is threatening to separate me from their lives. I’m not sure how to deal…..
I've got "radical dems" and "radical reps" in my extended family. I get along with them all because while we may not agree, I give them space.

As a grandparent you have virtually no rights. So, you need to suck it up and go with the flow, learn to keep the conversation on non-political topics or at least learn some conversation skills.

As it stands, all you're doing is destroying your chance with family over politics. Is it worth it? Learn to be more subtle, acknowledge their points, just sorta learn a little verbal street smarts.

Old 09-20-2021, 10:15 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
Just ignore Karen and concentrate on your grandkids

Old 09-21-2021, 01:15 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
Good Lordy! Now we have the cancel culture denying a Grandparent the right to their opinion. And wise observation to boot! Sorry but I think as a relative (and an important relative at that) in the Nuclear Family, this is important to keep a pulse on.

Lori Vallow is a PERFECT example of a radical . And look how she used her RADICAL views to harm.

So this burying ones head in the sand is NOT the answer.

OP- I'd suggest speaking to Your Son. Have the "adult" perspective of hearing and conveying. Openly discuss your concerns. Your Son may well be aware of his spouses "radical" and delusional views.

Yes at Young ages children are molded. Be the voice of subtle reason with them if you are given such opportunity. Plant small seeds of - Here is another tidbit of information. then let them mull over it.

Keep your heart open and your eyes attuned. Children deserve healthy outlets when in a home with such extreme views.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:09 AM

9,447 posts, read 5,208,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
My DIL is obsessed to the point of radical/ extremism regarding Covid, communism taking over, vaccines controlling us, that whole current scene, and my small grandsons are parroting her now and fearful for their safety. How harmful can this get? I’ve tried to talk with her about it but she just gets defensive and now is threatening to separate me from their lives. I’m not sure how to deal…..
Mind your own business. That's how you deal. They are her children. Unless she is doing something to endanger their health or safety, in which case you should probably report her to child protective services (really...you want to go there??) give it a good leaving alone.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Mind your own business, you raised your kids now it is her turn. Political differences do not mean she is neglecting the children although beating them up with CRT is abusive to their well being. Read American Marxism in your spare time.

If the children are truly being harmed call the authorities at once.
totally on board with you, Heidi......(American Marxism is next up after my current pile o'books is finished).

Old 09-21-2021, 06:16 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,047,339 times
Remember that song from South Pacific , "You have to be carefully taught"?

It appears to me that some people here have no problem with the way the DIL may be influencing her children.

I do agree that the OP needs to keep her mouth shut and focus on being a good role model and set a positive example for her grandchildren.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
Remember that song from South Pacific , "You have to be carefully taught"?

It appears to me that some people here have no problem with the way the DIL may be influencing her children.

I do agree that the OP needs to keep her mouth shut and focus on being a good role model and set a positive example for her grandchildren.
Well, then, extrapolating on your remark, maybe they should just round up all the chillins' and send them to education camps....so they can be influenced the way YOU think they should be.

They are NOT her kids. She needs to butt out.

Old 09-21-2021, 08:26 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,607 times
OP, you don't need to teach the children to oppose your DIL's views and to adopt your own. What's missing here is critical thinking skills. The children can be taught to take a step back, assess what's being said, find their own info and make their own decisions.

This needs to be taught to all kids in schools, and a little skepticism would be a good thing for us all. I think you and society at large has a very serious problem with growing fascist biases, and hope this may help a bit.

https://www.indeed.com/career-advice...hinking-skills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology