Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 03:54 PM

439 posts, read 290,020 times

Advertisements

Today, seemingly whenever a horrible person commits a horrific crime the defense is always "Well, they suffer from depression, schizophrenia, or some other abc mental illness" Like Hitler., Salin,.Genghis Khan, Mao. Pol Pot, were all of them just mentally ill or not? Can people NOT be mentally ill and still commit rape, murder genocide and the like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2021, 04:03 PM

1,702 posts, read 782,921 times
If you define “mentality ill” as “insane” or not able to fully control what they think or do, I say NO. A person does not have to be “mentality ill” to commit horrific acts. People do it ALL the time, and are still very fit to stand trial for their crimes.

Old 10-21-2021, 05:22 PM

6,455 posts, read 3,977,052 times
Well, of course they can. But people like to come up with "reasons" why bad things happen, so they can feel more safe from having bad things happen. Someone had a heart attack or has cancer-- well surely they did something unhealthy, right, so I'm safe. Someone gets murdered-- they must've been involved with bad people or gone somewhere they shouldn't, so I'm safe. Someone's house burned down-- they must've neglected some kind of maintenance or left a candle burning, so I'm safe. Someone does something bad-- they must have a mental illness so I'm safe. Etc.

Old 10-21-2021, 05:35 PM

20,763 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Americans had slaves for a really, really, reallllllly long time. I dont think they were all mentally ill

Old 10-22-2021, 08:27 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,115,740 times
Human beings are more than capable of doing horrific things to one another without being mentally ill or unwell. In fact, most diagnosed mentally ill people are more harm to themselves than to anybody else. Hitler justified in his mind that he was doing the right thing for Germany; that the Jews and other targeted minority groups had this coming to them for the role they played at the end of WWI. A lot of murders are plotted in the heat of the moment or because one party feels they are justified in doing it in order to accomplish another goal. I think some people have a broken moral compass and their mental health may or may not have anything at all to do with it.

Old 10-22-2021, 08:34 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,115,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Well, of course they can. But people like to come up with "reasons" why bad things happen, so they can feel more safe from having bad things happen. Someone had a heart attack or has cancer-- well surely they did something unhealthy, right, so I'm safe. Someone gets murdered-- they must've been involved with bad people or gone somewhere they shouldn't, so I'm safe. Someone's house burned down-- they must've neglected some kind of maintenance or left a candle burning, so I'm safe. Someone does something bad-- they must have a mental illness so I'm safe. Etc.
Look at how many spouses kill one another. Did Gabby Petito feel safe up until the point that her fiancee, Brian Laundrie, was strangling her? How about the way Maya Millette felt at the moment her husband was shooting her? I don't believe either of these people were diagnosed with a longstanding mental illness before their crimes.

Old 10-22-2021, 11:00 AM

3,494 posts, read 1,409,976 times
We all have free will, so if people are doing horrific things, they are doing so by choice.

Old 10-22-2021, 11:29 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Today, seemingly whenever a horrible person commits a horrific crime the defense is always "Well, they suffer from depression, schizophrenia, or some other abc mental illness" Like Hitler., Salin,.Genghis Khan, Mao. Pol Pot, were all of them just mentally ill or not? Can people NOT be mentally ill and still commit rape, murder genocide and the like?
Depends on the person and where they are.

There is a line of thought, some diplomat of the time I guess, that Hitler could be calm and charming and reasonable at times, and bad at other times......and that one day, the bad took over and never let go.

As far as the others, we-ll.....many people see violence as doing bad things to people because it is emotion but there is also a line of thought that says violence is a learned tool as a way to accomplish things.

Consider the concept of THUNDERCLAP which is on the first day of the war, one side does something most horrible to show the other side how horrible war really is, to convince him to get back to the negotiations table. A "classic" THUNDERCLAP would be nuking a major city. A lesser one, that has happened, is sinking one of his major warships, the General Belgrado in the Falklands War, show to him how expensive war is.

Fictionally, we have the TV show Xena. She can be mean when she has to really fight. She doesn't want to be but it is necessary for the task at hand. Once the task is done, she pulls back, pulls out of that state.

Old 10-22-2021, 11:35 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,730 times
I believe some people are just bad/evil, not mentally ill. And you can't cure evil. I know it's not politically correct, but I also believe we should have the right to protect ourselves from such people by any means necessary.

Last edited by CatTX; 10-22-2021 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: Clarifying

Old 10-22-2021, 11:39 AM

720 posts, read 428,619 times
I think there is a spectrum of cognitive behaviour and it's not always clear when someone is mentally ill.
Let's take murder for example. There are countless different murderers all doing it for completely different reasons. How can one judge if someone who seemingly out of nowhere murders their spouse is mentally ill? A young adult after being indoctrinating with hating trans people ends up killing one. Is it a clear choice? Or is it an accident waiting to happen in a society riddled with hate?

Do you believe hate is something that is detrimental to mental health?

I think it's a philosophical discussion based on morality and the ability (or lack thereof) of humans to think rationally.
So I guess as far as my opinion goes I think that a person that does those things is at least to some degree mentally compromised if not mentally ill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology