Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 07:49 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,182,976 times

Advertisements

What is wine cooler?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 08:02 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
What is wine cooler?
It's what me and my friends in high school drank before we learned what real drinking was.

Old 10-29-2021, 09:02 AM

4,930 posts, read 3,043,296 times
Yes, most AA people are like "this".
They expect the world to revolve around their sobriety, it's part of their self-centered recovery.
He's jealous and angry b/c he can't drink, don't let it ruin your day.
I was once an alcoholic, and quickly learned recovery programs don't work.
Drinking is a life choice you make, or don't; I quit on my own using workout programs.
Yet, can still drink like normal people; 2-3 drinks maybe twice a month now.
So is it really a disease?, I know alcoholics would like everyone else to think they cannot control it; but feel the term is more of an excuse for people to relapse.

Old 10-29-2021, 09:36 AM

13,684 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post
My ex boyfriend was a recovering alcoholic and addict (every drug known to man) and has 9 years sobriety and he is very dedicated to the AA Fellowship. He attended at least 5 meetings a week (3 were AA and 2 were Alanon). This was in 2017. This past year it has dwindled down to 3. He often chairs the meetings, and is well known in the AA community in our area.

He has been going to Alanon for 9 years. He still enables his son. He is extremely judgmental and nobody likes to be around him on the weekends because he doesn't drink, and doesn't like anyone else to drink. Even if it's a beer or two watching Football. I had TWO Smirnoff wine coolers and he accused me of "slurring my words"...

If I mentioned anything about my friends or family members he would automatically say that they were taking pills or alcoholics and they needed AA. He said that there is NO POSSIBLE WAY that a person can beat drug addiction without going to AA. He assumes that everyone is an addict or alcoholic for no reason.

Is it possible that people like this are actually 'jealous' of non-alcoholics because we can drink a couple of drinks and stop? Are they jealous that they are different?
I've been a member of AA for almost thirty years. It can be a very insular society with its own language and culture. There are those like your ex-boyfriend who've built their entire lives around the program and this causes some to have difficulty getting along with others both in and out of AA.

Is it possible that people like this are actually 'jealous' of non-alcoholics because we can drink a couple of drinks and stop? Are they jealous that they are different?

My experience ha shown AA members such as your ex-boyfriend aren't jealous but take an annoying high moral ground position. They are right/You are wrong.

Old 10-29-2021, 09:50 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
I'm not an alcoholic so I can drink any time i want. If I were to "not drink" then I would be enabling HIM to control me even more. I drink maybe 3 wine coolers a month IF that much. He knew that when we met and were dating. Why would I just not drink my wine coolers because HE is an alcoholic?

Do you not think he can walk into a store and see all the ads for alcohol and beer everywhere he goes? It isn't my responsibility to make sure that he never sees alcohol. That's ridiculous.
Quote:
That's because you are intimidated by your AA friends. I am not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
In three posts, you have said more about you than your alcoholic ex.
OP, you sound like an entitled, spoiled brat. You may be lovely in person but all of your posts to this topic make you sound like a cold, horrible person with no empathy.

Old 10-29-2021, 12:08 PM

9,110 posts, read 6,150,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
op, you sound like an entitled, spoiled brat. You may be lovely in person but all of your posts to this topic make you sound like a cold, horrible person with no empathy.
+1

Old 10-29-2021, 12:21 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
I agree OP

Its like the formerly fat person making fun of things fat people eat.

You should not have to tiptoe around HIS problems.

Alcohol was HIS issue,not yours.

In short,the guy is a jerk and you should be glad he is out of your hairs.

People like him try to self diagnose other people.

My small RANT:

I am tired of having to cater to addicts. Right now someone with a spinal disease is screaming in pain because the goverment dictated that doctors cannot write pain medication subscriptions for all of their patients because some dumbassess decided to get addicted to them .Meanwhile,the ones who actually need it suffer.

Old 10-29-2021, 01:03 PM

9,110 posts, read 6,150,521 times
You seem excessively concerned and involved in other people's mental state.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/psyc...es-appear.html

Maybe you should just focus on your own problems and ignore ex boyfriend's issues (emphasis on ex) and the like.

Old 10-29-2021, 03:52 PM

979 posts, read 416,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I certainly don't require an alcoholic beverage just to have a good time watching a ballgame. If you can't, maybe you need to take a deeper look.
Neither do I - But beer, marijuana and a bet make it so much more fun and interesting!

Old 10-29-2021, 04:37 PM

9,431 posts, read 5,194,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
Neither do I - But beer, marijuana and a bet make it so much more fun and interesting!
hear hear!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology