Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 03:38 AM

7,583 posts, read 4,137,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, you could acknowledge that you're having a bad day, and add, "I wish you wouldn't call attention to it, though. It's kind of rude, and you're making me uncomfortable." Anyone with any decency would be speechless, or might manage to stammer out an apology.

Sheesh. I guess people like that think they're being funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Surely there are at least 100 ways to handle someone saying something like that.

1. Smile, and say I guess I'm kind of tired today
2. Smile and say "Oh, you just caught me in RBF mode."
3. Smile and don't say anything
4. Smile, wink, and walk away
5. Look at the person very seriously, and tell him/her you're there to guard the president

There's 5 things you can do, to get you started.
These are practical ways to respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 06:37 AM

9,351 posts, read 5,107,812 times
You must be young.
I don't consider this 'mocking.' Anyone who has worked for any length of time in the real world knows the exact feeling of 'excited to be here.'
It's a joke, for heaven's sake.

I suppose you could also take it as, you really don't LOOK excited to be here.....or you look bored, and you could take it as a criticism or 'mocking,' but I think that's a bit much.

Maybe you could come up with a stock answer such as, "Yea, it was a big let down to see there are no donuts or bagels here today, so yea, not excited."

Old 11-18-2021, 06:43 AM

6,283 posts, read 4,167,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
I hate dealing with people's sarcasm, sometimes.

I hate when you don't look or sound extremely excited and someone says, " Wow you look so excited to be here" or " Don't sound so enthusiastic". How should i respond when someone says these things to me , knowing they are being sarcastic? Comments like these always bother me because I feel like i am being made fun of. I guess people don't consider that someone may be depressed or going through something. People really suck.
I’d probably blurt out “ wow , who swallowed a sarky sandwich this morning eh!”

Old 11-18-2021, 07:34 AM

102,126 posts, read 107,402,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
You must be young.
I don't consider this 'mocking.' Anyone who has worked for any length of time in the real world knows the exact feeling of 'excited to be here.'
It's a joke, for heaven's sake.

I suppose you could also take it as, you really don't LOOK excited to be here.....or you look bored, and you could take it as a criticism or 'mocking,' but I think that's a bit much.

Maybe you could come up with a stock answer such as, "Yea, it was a big let down to see there are no donuts or bagels here today, so yea, not excited."
lol. That's good. "Yeah, I don't usually attend events that don't have free food." That wouldn't work if there actually were some refreshments, though.

Yeah, it's supposed to be a joke, OP, but if you're not feeling well or are stressed to down due to life "stuff" going on, it can come as a shock and can make you feel put on the spot. People have no idea what others may be going through, so their jokes come across as clumsy. Heck, now that we're discussing and dissecting it, I'm coming to the conclusion, that it could be intended as a sort of backhanded way of saying' Cheer up!" (As if that ever cheered anyone up.)

Old 11-18-2021, 08:06 AM

349 posts, read 222,011 times
Quote:

I hate when you don't look or sound extremely excited and someone says, " Wow you look so excited to be here" or " Don't sound so enthusiastic". How should i respond when someone says these things to me , knowing they are being sarcastic? Comments like these always bother me because I feel like i am being made fun of. I guess people don't consider that someone may be depressed or going through something. People really suck.
Easy answer...I don't care what others think or say about me. Try it. If you feel the need to respond, reply with the same level of sarcasm.

Somewhat related...many of my friends seem to want to be liked by EVERYONE, ALL THE TIME, which makes no sense to me. You can't please everyone all the time. By attempting to make everyone happy, your integrity and credibility is diminished.

Old 11-18-2021, 09:16 AM

23,658 posts, read 13,860,766 times
Quote:

Comme ce, comme ca. My favorite to say to such, "Well, you're just one big bright ray of sunshine, aren't you?".

It's not to mock them but to throw another cheerleader charge into me.

Now, how should one respond to such? "I'm not actually here. This is my warp shadow* you are talking to while I'm really at home watching the ball game instead of being at this boring event.".

*Warp shadow, astral projection, clone, double.....depending on one's orientation

As far as boring event goes, it borrows from "American Dreamer" when it is realized that the contest winner is not at the celebration and the declared authoress states, "Which only shows intelligence. She must be out enjoying herself instead of being at these boring events." (or something like that)

Old 11-18-2021, 09:17 AM

11,987 posts, read 8,324,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
You must be young.
Thinking. Ironically I think it has grown worse with the relatively recent awareness of and emphasis on feelings. Is an effort to educate turning into a mandate? Is it the new self-centered world of social media that everyone should care about me?

Maybe it's an unrealistic expectation to think everybody out there should respond to what they see on our face appropriately. Truth is we all carry our bad moods, our hurt feelings, our sad days.

Do we all go out looking to soothe others' obviously hard days?

Nah. Mostly we wonder how we are going to manage our own. So we get reactive when other people don't help. After all, I'm wearing it right on my face. Why won't they give me what I want?

On days when you're feeling so fragile that the wrong response will be painful maybe it's better to just stay in and protect yourself. And in the meantime learn that the working world is not there to nurture your pain. It would be a great world if it were but that's wishful thinking.

In the meantime, find personal support and when you go out armor yourself with healthy realistic belief that no one out there may help or care. Extra if they do.

Unfortunately for us we have to learn how to deal with our feelings on our own or we end up with a life of disappointments and neediness waiting for someone to help. We all have to learn how to get our needs met. And when it is appropriate to ask.

It's hard, cold truth.

Old 11-18-2021, 09:29 AM

29,700 posts, read 34,246,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Thinking. Ironically I think it has grown worse with the relatively recent awareness of and emphasis on feelings. Is an effort to educate turning into a mandate? Is it the new self-centered world of social media that everyone should care about me?

Maybe it's an unrealistic expectation to think everybody out there should respond to what they see on our face appropriately. Truth is we all carry our bad moods, our hurt feelings, our sad days.

Do we all go out looking to soothe others' obviously hard days?

Nah. Mostly we wonder how we are going to manage our own. So we get reactive when other people don't help. After all, I'm wearing it right on my face. Why won't they give me what I want?

On days when you're feeling so fragile that the wrong response will be painful maybe it's better to just stay in and protect yourself. And in the meantime learn that the working world is not there to nurture your pain. It would be a great world if it were but that's wishful thinking.

In the meantime, find personal support and when you go out armor yourself with healthy realistic belief that no one out there may help or care. Extra if they do.

Unfortunately for us we have to learn how to deal with our feelings on our own or we end up with a life of disappointments and neediness waiting for someone to help. We all have to learn how to get our needs met. And when it is appropriate to ask.

It's hard, cold truth.
Sure, but the OP has mentioned in other threads that he has a hard time making friends. This particular example makes me wonder how many times someone might have tried to break the ice with him and he interpreted the interaction as hostile and insulting, rather than awkwardly friendly. That's a lot of misunderstanding people's intentions.

Old 11-18-2021, 06:23 PM

979 posts, read 412,308 times
Quote:

You're extremely sensitive.
It's called joking around.

I'm very open, so I'd respond with however I'm feeling - 'I'm alright, just tired. Thanks.' or 'Yeah, this sucks.' or 'I'd rather be anywhere other than here.' or 'I'm good, how you doin'? ' or 'This is usually my nap time.' or 'Tired, got ripped last night. Got an Alka-Seltzer?' or 'I'm hungry. Where are the vending machines?'
But that's just me.

Use it as an opening for conversation.

Old 11-18-2021, 08:48 PM

11,987 posts, read 8,324,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Sure, but the OP has mentioned in other threads that he has a hard time making friends. This particular example makes me wonder how many times someone might have tried to break the ice with him and he interpreted the interaction as hostile and insulting, rather than awkwardly friendly. That's a lot of misunderstanding people's intentions.
I understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology