Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 01:54 PM

1,250 posts, read 677,649 times

Advertisements

Have you noticed the fad of autism? It's particularly noticeable on FB - people are actually clamoring for a diagnosis.

In the old days, autism was a rare diagnosis and was indicated by someone extremely anti-social, non-verbal, with all kinds of other quirks and behavioral problems (many couldn't speak).

Now you can be extremely verbal/fluent/expressive, and have absolutely no outward appearance of being "different," yet you're given this diagnosis.

Last edited by thinkingandwondering; 12-13-2021 at 02:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2021, 02:06 PM

640 posts, read 448,879 times
Well. . . . Yes, it could be a fad, same as being gluten-free today. But there are many real cases. There is also what is now called "autism spectrum." It includes the so-called "high functioning" people who are capable of everyday interactions but are not fully capable of empathy, have certain ideas in their heads that are impossible to talk them out of, etc. They don't necessarily take that Adderall.

There are five main types of autism: Asperger's syndrome, Rett syndrome, childhood disintegrative disorder, Kanner's syndrome, and pervasive developmental disorder – not otherwise specified. Please read more on that:

https://www.integrityinc.org/what-ar...pes-of-autism/

https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/facts.html

I can assure you this autism spectrum is real, and it's no fun dealing with those afflicted.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-13-2021, 02:34 PM

5,654 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
Have you noticed the fad of autism? It's particularly noticeable on FB - people are actually clamoring for a diagnosis.

I think the reason in 99% of cases is drug-seeking. Gotta have that Adderall! The docs are criminals, colluding with drug companies, and dumb people just eat it all up.

In the old days, autism was a rare diagnosis and was indicated by someone extremely anti-social, non-verbal, with all kinds of other quirks and behavioral problems (many couldn't speak).

Now you can be extremely verbal/fluent/expressive, and have absolutely no outward appearance of being "different," yet you're given this diagnosis.

A lot of people on the autism scale don't like taking meds.

Old 12-13-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
A lot of people on the autism scale don't like taking meds.
I edited the OP because I got mixed up.

Old 12-13-2021, 06:19 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:

Are you saying that people who aren't on the spectrum are somehow wrangling an autism diagnosis because it's fashionable?

It's hard for me to understand what you're saying here.

Old 12-13-2021, 06:21 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
I think nowadays they have broadened the autism range. I believe there is a high functioning autism diagnoses. I’m no expert but one can have mild symptoms like anxiety, deficits in people skills.

Old 12-13-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Are you saying that people who aren't on the spectrum are somehow wrangling an autism diagnosis because it's fashionable?

Yes. That's what I'm saying.

I think I made it clear.

Old 12-13-2021, 07:52 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:

That's thanks to all the media portrayal of autism as something positive. And autism, especially profound autism; actually sucks.

As long as autism is represented by characters such as "The Good Doctor" & the happy, flappy muppet on Sesame Street, without being countered with images of "real" autism, this will be a problem.

They never show people like my friend's 20 year old son, who is going blind because he slams his head into the floor so often he's causing his own retina's to detach. Or another woman's son, who's 300 lb 25 year old wears diapers & smears his poop on the walls. Or what about my son, who's immune system was so injured that it can't mediate his puberty androgens? Parenting him is like parenting a 6 foot 5, 280 lb 3 year old with Roid Rage. Or my friend's 14 year old daughter, who attacks her by tackling her to the ground & ripping handfuls of hair out of her head?

That's Autism. Autism is having a happy healthy baby for a year or two who's brain "suddenly" becomes inflamed & stops working. And then they start regressing. And within 6 months, your beautiful, smart child loses all their potential & their future is ruined. Life expectancy drops to age 36. Parents lose their careers & often their marriages.

But since there is no ACTUAL autism awareness, we have people who think being autistic means you are an awkward genius with super-powers. They think it's cool.

And you know why this is happening? I do. It's happening because only problems require solutions. As long as autism is painted with flowery terms like "neurodiversity" & "different not less"; it's not a problem. And there's a big "public health" agenda that desperately wants autism to not be a problem, so that we stop looking for answers.

Old 12-13-2021, 09:29 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,310,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

Yes, some people have gone doctor-shopping to get a diagnosis of being on the autism spectrum.

It comes from this belief. This is a false belief, but it seems some people believe it.
Consider that most businesses will fire you if you're caught drinking on the job or doing drugs.
The belief is that if you turn yourself BEFORE getting caught and go into rehab or a treatment program, then you have officially have a disability and firing you for getting caught doing drugs on the job becomes impossible (or much more difficult) because you're now protected by the Americans with Disability Act.
This is a false belief, but it seems some people believe it.

So, a certain kind of obnoxious male gets the idea that if he is diagnosed by a doctor as being on the autism spectrum, then he is protected by the ADA from being fired for all the awful things he says to people and harassing the females.
It may have worked as an excuse for somebody somewhere, but the ADA doesn't support it.

Clarification.
As I understand it, the employer can fire you for using on the job at any time. But they cannot fire a ADA disabled employee solely for having been an addict or alcoholic, or for having gone into rehab, so long as they are not using presently.

Old 12-13-2021, 10:07 PM

2,450 posts, read 971,670 times
A fad? Tell that to my friend who has two non-verbal kids. One is a teenager who still wears a diaper. The other one is 10 years old and is an escape artist. Some fad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology