Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 01:47 PM

20,003 posts, read 13,480,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post
Dreams have always been somewhat weird. Your brain is processing data while you sleep, thus the jumbled things. It doesn't mean anything at all. Nothing.
There are Jungian dream dictionaries online that attempt to map various persons, symbols and objects in dreams to some sort of meaning. It is a very subjective thing, but I do recall having an unusually vivid dream after my prior wife's death, and I looked up the key things in that dream and it mapped pretty well and not just in some vague nonspecific way to the grieving process I was then going through. However, that time and the handful of times after that where I looked up a remembered dream, the explanation for the dream was not really useful or actionable or revelatory. It was just kind of obvious.

So my conclusion is that in dreams, the mind is not just jumbling random things together necessarily, at least part of the time it is ruminating in a sort of symbolic way on things of current interest. Jung was interested in dreams because he believed that at bottom our brains work in symbols, not in language, and he was fascinated by exploring and cataloging this symbology.

All that said, some of my dreams truly do seem a random jumble of stuff that seems unrelated to anything; sometimes it is even borrowed reruns of previous dreams. There are sometimes just themes, like trying to find your way someplace in a car and the roads not being quite what you remember, full of weird dead ends and Dr Seuss-like fanciful interchanges and so on. Probably just standard-issue floating anxiety about the various uncertainties in my life at any point in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2022, 05:37 AM

19,716 posts, read 20,244,680 times
Sounds like you watch alot of tv/movies. Just the fact that majority of your dreams seem to feature celebrities.

Maybe turn off the tv for a few days and see what happens... You could try stimulating your brain with music instead, as an experiment. I suggest classical or jazz for maximum effect.

Old 01-18-2022, 07:42 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,469,281 times
Do you have sleep apnea or a prostate issue that has you waking up often in the night? That might explain why you remember your dreams so often. As to the content of your dreams, I can't speak to that. To find any meaning in someone's dreams you'd have to know everything about their life.

Old 01-18-2022, 12:15 PM

144 posts, read 45,908 times
I had a dream that a UFO landed in my yard but when I woke up they had already gone.
Another one
I had a dream that was over the moon, but when I woke up, I was still down to earth.
:|

Old 01-19-2022, 12:32 PM

880 posts, read 565,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Sounds like you watch alot of tv/movies. Just the fact that majority of your dreams seem to feature celebrities.

Maybe turn off the tv for a few days and see what happens... You could try stimulating your brain with music instead, as an experiment. I suggest classical or jazz for maximum effect.

I rarely, rarely ever watch TV. I mean that sincerely. When I do, it's usually re-runs of This Old House, or I might leave the "Design" channel on for inspiration as I'm doing home renovations or something of the sort. I don't know why I know these people's names... quite honestly, as I don't really watch movies either... though at one point in my life I had more free time. I also don't play video games, even though I own like 100s of them... haven't played a game in like 6 months, and even then, it was for 30 minutes for one day. I just don't have time since I work full time and am also going for another degree at night... plus family.

I play violin, have since I was 5... I listen to pretty much everything. I prefer 80s music since I'm a Gen-Xer, but also classical music (since that's what I grew up playing). Slayer and Pantera are getting harder and harder to listen to as I get older. I can't stand country or rap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Do you have sleep apnea or a prostate issue that has you waking up often in the night? That might explain why you remember your dreams so often. As to the content of your dreams, I can't speak to that. To find any meaning in someone's dreams you'd have to know everything about their life.

No, no sleep apnea. I usually fall asleep pretty quickly. I only occasionally wake up around 2:00pm, but only if I drink a lot (water) the night before.

Last night's dream was not as fun, but oddly weird anyway.

I was visiting family in the UK... though... I don't actually have family in the UK (one aunt, but never visited her there). All my family is from the Netherlands, or Argentina, if they don't live in the US. But anyway, I was visiting family in the UK (all people I don't know). We were entertaining Robert Stack (from Airplane and Unsolved Mysteries in the 80s)... and I don't even remember what we were doing, but at one point I realized I had a big patch on my arm. It was a huge band-aid that said "COVID" on it. It was a band-aid that had been put on when I got my shot back in March. Me getting a shot in Feb and March was not really of any consequence, but I have no interest in getting a booster. But whatever... I had a big COVID band aid on my arm. I took it off, and then we started playing board games with Robert Stack. Then my wife was talking in her sleep (maybe second time in my life I've heard her doing this) and I woke up... haha...

Old 01-21-2022, 05:59 AM

Latest one last night...

I was building a space ship. I had several team members, including Halle Berry or however you spell her name. I built the space ship out of scrap metal and was welding it myself. Did not seem like such a difficult job (taught myself to MIG weld years ago when I was restoring classic cars on the weekend). All the metal pieces had been pre-fabricated, despite being scrap metal. I built the space ship in sort of a teardrop shape... or maybe more like a corn kernel shape. Seating was rows of bench seats (lol, sorry). Halle Berry was commanding the rest of the crew, while I was the captain (and also building it). We also had two tigers on the ship, which were laying down in the back. We had to be careful because if we got too close, they'd bite our legs and clamp down. Wasn't anything that was scary, we just had to try to give them their space.

We flew off to space, when my wife woke me up by accident when she got back into bed.

Old 01-23-2022, 08:19 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post
...almost every single night that's crazy / weird.

One night, I was being attacked by Anne Hathaway. She had a sniper rifle, and she was trying to take me out. She had this super advanced sniper rifle that shot bullets which were heat seeking. My sniper rifle didn't have such technology, so she ended up shooting me... but I woke up before I died.

Another dream my wife and I commanded a 1000+ army of soldiers that were all clones of my wife. My wife and I kind of went about our day, but there were 1000+ Erica soldiers (dressed in black tactical gear with plates) all hustling around and jumping over things and ready for battle.

I even had a dream where John Lithgow and I were trying to start a home renovation business.

There was even one where Jada Pinkett (sp?) and I were negotiating an arms deal... but I vaguely remember that one.

But the other night was uniquely interesting...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and I were hosting a cybersecurity seminar at some Sheraton hotel (don't know where we were). Everything was very early 80s / late 70s looking... kind of drab carpets, a lot of fake gold paint on the walls. We both took turns speaking, but no one was really paying attention. The meeting room sat about 100 people, but there were only 8 people sitting in chairs and not really paying attention to us.

I have no idea what any of this means. I don't use drugs, and I eat pretty healthily, and am a perpetually happy person. I HAVE been working long hours though. These aren't nightmares or anything... I kind of wake up with a what in the world kind of confusion.

Is it something I'm eating? Is it the protein shakes?

Again, not really concerned, but these are too crazy for me to try to disseminate their meaning.
Are you in security work or were you in the military?

You must watch a lot of TV or movies.

Hmm.

OK...you want to be a director, but you are insecure about your abilities. How's that?

Old 01-24-2022, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Are you in security work or were you in the military?

You must watch a lot of TV or movies.

I do not watch a lot of TV or movies. About the only thing I watch is This Old House, and occasionally have the Design channel on. I don't even watch the news.

For the first question... yes and no. I worked for a three-letter agency for a little over a decade, and deployed as a civilian to a couple of high-risk places, including Afghanistan for 6 months. The last one (Afghanistan) leaving me really quite broken actually. Not so much what I experienced, but how it ended. It wasn't just that it was demoralizing in how it ended, but I felt like all the horrible things that happened were acceptable consequences so long as the end result was a vibrant and flourishing country that we'd eventually leave behind. This failure is actually what prompted me to quit the agency. I loved my career, and I was well established, well known, etc. But I came to the realization that I was wasting my time, and everything we'd all fought for was an enormous waste of life, resources, and effort. Even though I also carried a gun when I deployed, also had to move my family every three years, and was also obligated to all the same rules as the military, I'm not a veteran... and that's "ok." I don't get the free Denny's lunch on Veterans day, haha... but, I can't go to a veterans service or anything remotely related to service or event like that without completely breaking down crying uncontrollably.

Anyway, I'm OK, I have an awesome family, a great new well-paying career, and I'm working towards another degree to transition into another field that I'm interested in. But it is something I still think about.

Last night, I had a dream that I was getting attacked. Someone was running up the stairs in our house and I screamed out my wife's name in my sleep to let her know someone was coming and to be prepared. She was actually still awake playing on her tablet next to me in bed as I was sleeping and heard it... and was like, what the hell?

First time I've had a dream where I was being attacked in a very long time. Probably just something I ate, haha.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:14 AM

19,716 posts, read 20,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post
I rarely, rarely ever watch TV. I mean that sincerely. When I do, it's usually re-runs of This Old House, or I might leave the "Design" channel on for inspiration as I'm doing home renovations or something of the sort. I don't know why I know these people's names... quite honestly, as I don't really watch movies either... though at one point in my life I had more free time. I also don't play video games, even though I own like 100s of them... haven't played a game in like 6 months, and even then, it was for 30 minutes for one day. I just don't have time since I work full time and am also going for another degree at night... plus family.

I play violin, have since I was 5... I listen to pretty much everything. I prefer 80s music since I'm a Gen-Xer, but also classical music (since that's what I grew up playing). Slayer and Pantera are getting harder and harder to listen to as I get older. I can't stand country or rap.

Last night's dream was not as fun, but oddly weird anyway.

I was visiting family in the UK... though... I don't actually have family in the UK (one aunt, but never visited her there). All my family is from the Netherlands, or Argentina, if they don't live in the US. But anyway, I was visiting family in the UK (all people I don't know). We were entertaining Robert Stack (from Airplane and Unsolved Mysteries in the 80s)... and I don't even remember what we were doing, but at one point I realized I had a big patch on my arm. It was a huge band-aid that said "COVID" on it. It was a band-aid that had been put on when I got my shot back in March. Me getting a shot in Feb and March was not really of any consequence, but I have no interest in getting a booster. But whatever... I had a big COVID band aid on my arm. I took it off, and then we started playing board games with Robert Stack. Then my wife was talking in her sleep (maybe second time in my life I've heard her doing this) and I woke up... haha...

Who needs tv with dreams like these? lol

Can't say I'm not entertained, lol....Funny enough, that movie Airplane was on tv yesterday, hahahha

(I heard something about they were making covid "vaccine" patches recently... )

One thing I can say, is you sound like you're the one in control in your dreams, and that's great news. Rather than being at the mercy of whatever is just happening to you. You were the captain of the Halle Berry ship, and even your last dream - in a dire situation, you were able to call out your wife's name from inside of dream and warn her in waking life!

This is all good, even if it is weird.

Old 01-26-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Who needs tv with dreams like these? lol

Can't say I'm not entertained, lol....Funny enough, that movie Airplane was on tv yesterday, hahahha

(I heard something about they were making covid "vaccine" patches recently... )

One thing I can say, is you sound like you're the one in control in your dreams, and that's great news. Rather than being at the mercy of whatever is just happening to you. You were the captain of the Halle Berry ship, and even your last dream - in a dire situation, you were able to call out your wife's name from inside of dream and warn her in waking life!

This is all good, even if it is weird.

Thanks D217, that's a really good point... and I appreciate the context. I do seem to "mostly" have control of the dreams, and the overwhelming vast majority of them are actually quite funny.

I had several over the past few days that I didn't write down and forgot, but they were also wild. But I had TWO... back to back last night, and after I woke up from the first one, I sent an e-mail to myself with my phone because it was so ridiculous, and the second one, I didn't, so I'll try to remember it. I apologize in advance if anything I say might be taken offensively, it's not my intent... just reiterating what my dream was.

FIRST DREAM (it ended when I woke up at midnight):

I had a dream that I was part of some TV show on HGTV (?), and I was supposed to play board games with members of the White House staff. This was apparently the SECOND time I'd done this event, it was an annual thing. The previous year I had done it with President Obama... though obviously that doesn't make any sense because President Trump was in between them. Never the less... it made sense to me in my dream.

So there I am, in some large hallway that's set up more like a butler's pantry. There's an oak table, an alcove, and a separate room that's used for the physician.

President Biden comes over (while all of this is being recorded) and stands behind me, making comments for the camera, etc... and he's going to make a move on the board game we're playing together (no idea what game)... but he accidentally pulls on the back of my chair, which flips my chair over.

... as my chair is flipping over, a plate that has all of Biden's medicine (it was like over 100 pills) that he's supposed to take every night, falls over and they all fall onto the floor and some into the trash can. I don't know where this plate was the whole first half of the dream, but never the less... this is what's going on. I frantically help the rest of the White House staff try to pick them up, and Biden is a little cross, but makes some nice comments and moves along. I think we found all the pills and that was that.

Things calm down and I start talking to the videographer. He has the camera recording, but he set it down and I'm not supposed to notice that it was still recording. I don't know what the significance of that was, but it was something I was "aware of" in the dream.

I start talking about President Obama with him and saying how gracious of a host he was the previous year, really nice guy, blah blah. For what it's worth, this is not necessarily my political leaning, but that was what I was doing in my dream never the less.

The videographer and I go back and forth for a bit, and he says... "Hey, I know something fun we can do..." and he starts totally BLASTING Cindy Lauper's "Girls just wanna have fun." So we all start singing it, and it's playing really loudly.

At some point, my wife and I (who happened to be there playing the board games with me at the White House, even though I don't remember seeing her earlier)... we head back to our room at the "hotel???" somehow we made our way from the White House to a hotel suite (not the Greenbrier, haha)... and ended up in the McMaster's house from the TV show Magnum PI. We go out on the varanda and check it out... it's really nice, we're in Hawaii all of a sudden.

It starts getting windy, so my wife and I come back inside and close the door, and there's a HUGE gust of wind that blows open the door (off the door's hinges). We're startled by it, and then Tom Celic walks into the room through the hotel room door (again, we're still in the McMaster's mansion or whatever his name is) and starts telling us this happens all the time, and not to worry about it.

And then I wake up... because my wife is coming to bed (she was binge watching Ozark or something... again, I don't watch TV, and I don't use drugs either). I have been working long hours at work though.

DREAM #2:

Starts off with me flying a plane. I'm in a small Cessna-style plane... and I'm not paying attention or something... and the plane gets a stall warning (or some kind of warning). I look up and I'm perpendicular to the sea... heading straight for the ocean, nose down.

I crash... and then somehow end up back in the air again, and this happens a second time. The second time, the plane is too damaged, so I pull some cord, and a raft deploys off the side of the plane. I'm concerned that I'll be in the middle of no where on a raft, when I happen to notice that I'm conveniently coasting to shore with the plane and the raft.

So I casually get out of the plane and notice that there's a resort / bar up on the beach. I get out, walk towards the beach, and start asking the people there where I am. They start talking to me in Spanish.

So... I start speaking back to them in Spanish. I'm not fluent, I was born in the US... but my mom is from Argentina. So I know enough Spanish to have a conversation at a rudimentary level. I find out that I've landed on the beaches of Bolivia. Pay no mind that Bolivia doesn't even border an ocean, but let's not let facts get in the way of dreams. I knew it was the ocean, and not that body of water (Lake Titicaca or something).

Anyway, I had a good conversation with some of the locals there, and we started talking about football... and then I woke up.

So... yeah, I'll just keep detailing them here if for no other reason than they are genuinely crazy, hahah... and maybe provide entertainment to someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology