Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 04:42 PM

402 posts, read 273,921 times

Advertisements

I wonder why so many ordinary people are really obsessed with celebs? I mean I myself have some curiosity about them but it's never constant.
I'm talking about the people who always follow a certain celeb or in general the gossip columns readers.
How does knowing who slept with whom, who divorced or who bought that 3 million mansion enrich a person?

I often quit following celebrity lives because to me it's a waste of time and mildly offensive to invest so much of my time to be such a huge fan to someone who doesn't even care nor know I exist.

I mean if Kim K invested so much time following others she wouldn't be a celeb herself, no?

If they'll never reciprocate and boost my exposure why care? I mean I'm more curious about the lives of people I know in real life, not someone I'll never meet. I don't follow my fav singers/actors personal lives, to me they exist just to please me with their art so if you say it's because you love their art you know following their personal lives isn't necessary for enjoying their products.

Do you think proneness to following celebs and gossip in general takes away from the will to succeed in a person as the most accomplished people I know wouldn't be caught dead reading celebrity gossip and many don't even have TVs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2022, 05:33 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I have no clue what the attraction is. I have a friend who's obsessed with reality tv and the (fake) lives of people she doesn't know. I might fangirl over someone I like if I saw them in person but I still don't want to spend time watching their personal lives play out on reality tv or social media. Celebrities are pointless and unnecessary in my life, which has enough people I know personally in it!

Old 05-28-2022, 05:54 PM

1,250 posts, read 678,432 times
I read once that some people who are fans of celebrities come to see them as their family in a way.

Old 05-29-2022, 12:14 PM

11,055 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Wondered this myself! Same way I wonder about the Brits being so devoted and fascinated by the royal family.

It must fulfill something in them. I appreciate some actors and musicians but wouldn't expend any effort or money to "follow" them. The whole "following" concept sounds like a bunch of sheep, to me. Lol.

In the old days it used to be autographs and I never "got" that either. Even book signings....

Old 05-29-2022, 12:23 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Wondered this myself! Same way I wonder about the Brits being so devoted and fascinated by the royal family.
I always wonder about the *Americans* who are obsessed with and devoted to the British Royal Family. Around the time of Harry and Meghan's interview with Oprah there was a thread on here that became absolutely bonkers.

Old 05-29-2022, 02:35 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
I read once that some people who are fans of celebrities come to see them as their family in a way.
I've heard similar, that the people who obsessively follow celebrities become emotionally invested in their lives, as though they know them personally.

Old 05-29-2022, 08:55 PM

2,530 posts, read 1,862,143 times
Vicariously living through others.

Old 05-29-2022, 09:55 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Puts me in mind of how real it becomes for some fans and how dangerous that can be for a celebrity.

That theme has become a niche unto itself in novels and films. The first one I saw was "Play Misty for Me" with Clint Eastwood in 1971. Seems there can be a fine line between fascination and delusion for some people.

And remember the assassination attempt on President Reagan to win the attention of Jody Foster? That's the big scary stuff. But there are also the attempts to connect and the adoring harassment which must be a tiresome thing to deal with.

Old 05-30-2022, 07:33 AM

65 posts, read 50,153 times
It is just another form of religion.

Old 05-30-2022, 08:52 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
I will confess that i did this once. I was a fan of this one guy on a TV show. He had a lot of fans. so me and my best freind were major fans of this guy. We wanted to send him a little gift.. so we did. it cost maybe $10. it was actually fun to do that.

turns out, this guy got so many gifts from fans, he had to give them away. LOL..

I dont think i would ever do this again though. but for some reason it was fun to buy him a gift. We were hoping he would wear it on the tv show as that would be the fun reward for giving him a gift. It was a little bracelet that i bought him.

the other fun thing i did to a "celebrity" was finding that person's Facebook page. And I wrote a comment. This is a weather-girl on my local news station. So when she actually replied to me, it gave me a little bit of happiness that she actually responded to little old me. LOL. i think its humorous that i got all happy coz a weather girl wrote me back on Facebook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology