Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2022, 12:53 PM

729 posts, read 600,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I didn’t accuse you of killing her (or of ‘moral depravity’). I’m questioning your lack of empathy/feeling relative to now, since you’re an adult.
I'm supposed to be upset now about a recurring dream I had 55+ years ago? Haha.
Ah well, you can't please everyone!

Dream analysts will tell you that everyone who appears in your dream is actually you in some respect. Really never had the slightest thing to do with my mother.

I found it interesting then and find it interesting still. Never was sure what it "meant" (if anything) and still am not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2022, 01:01 PM

8,663 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
If one fantasizes it, plans it and acts it out scene by scene
then kills someone in their mind instead of actually committing the act in real life, why not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
Dream analysts will tell you that everyone who appears in your dream is actually you in some respect. Really never had the slightest thing to do with my mother.
I don’t find the dream disturbing in and of itself - as I previously stated. What I find disturbing is the lack of emotional attachment (and anger) required to plan/feed the thoughts/details of murder, per the thread (and to think of it as beneficial in some way). It doesn’t have anything to do with dream analysts.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 06-26-2022 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: added quote

Old 06-26-2022, 02:22 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Seriously?

I don't know how to put this nicely, so ... that sounds totally nuts to me.

(And why on earth would you ask such a question?)
It was more of a rhetorical question although the lines are slowly blurring but that could be a byproduct of my SSRI malfunctioning.
The 25 to life consideration is a non issue.
I don't survive any of the scenarios

Last edited by lluvia; 06-26-2022 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 06-26-2022, 03:08 PM

16,070 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
That said, regarding the OP/thread, it’s more disturbing one would ‘waste their time’ relative to feeding such anger/dreams/fantasies - as it’s certainly more likely to materialize as a result.
On the contrary I don't find it to be that unusual, and to a certain extent probably a fairly common way to deal with frustrated anger.
Quote:
One study found that 73% of men and 66% of women in their sample had fantasised about killing someone.
In a replication of their study they found similar rates - 79% of men and 58% of women.
Quote:
When we mentally rehearse such situations we realise that murdering someone probably isn’t what we actually want to do, that we couldn’t live with the consequences. Those who don’t have this capacity to mentally test potential future behaviours might act more impulsively, and live to regret it.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...ling%20someone.

I think it would be cause for concern if someone is obsessed with such a fantasy, or becomes aroused by it, or acts on it in any way, but I don't think that's the case for most people who find themselves sometimes fantasizing the death of someone they think has wronged them or caused them harm in some way.

Old 06-26-2022, 03:12 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I saw the last episode last night. YEAH, it leaves us hanging with BTK. Of course, I know they weren't going to catch him for another 13 years.

But to the topic, it's a serious subject. I DID think about ways to kill my abusive husband when I was married. I can tell you, when you think there is no other way out, it's a very short trip from wishing someone dead to starting to think about how you can make it happen.

More than the actual act, though, I fantasized about what I would wear to the funeral, how I would play the part of a grieving widow, etc. I didn't actually have the stomach to kill in the way we think of murdering someone, but I did make sure I cooked him high-cholesterol meals and such, knowing he had high cholesterol and that his father had died at 49 of a heart attack. Hey, he didn't have to eat it.

My favorite fantasy of killing him was to start telling people he'd gotten into eating natural foods and was going into the woods to pick wild mushrooms and such. Then a few months later, whoops, he ate some poison mushrooms.

In reality, though, it wouldn't have flown. Claiming that an ordained, dedicated alcoholic with a coke habit who also liked prescription drugs had turned into a natural-food freak wouldn't be believable to anyone.

In the end, I got to the point that I was actually terrified that I WOULD kill him. I feared I might snap one day and start beating him over the head with the cast-iron pan or something and not be able to stop until he was down and not moving. It is a sobering thought to realize that you are capable of killing.

We've been divorced more than 20 years now and are civil to each other. I no longer wish him dead. We recently celebrated our daughter's PhD together and had a good time. He's got health issues from years of bad habits, but he's someone else's problem now.
You could have tried the leg of lamb method - you kill him with the frozen leg of lamb; then you dispose of the murder weapon at dinner.

Old 06-26-2022, 03:30 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
If one fantasizes it, plans it and acts it out scene by scene
then kills someone in their mind instead of actually committing the act in real life, why not?
Mom would call that mind pollution....but she understood when it was in my line of work to have to that from time to time. The thing is, that when I do it, it is because the mission calls for it, like planning a scenario for an armed hostage situation.

Finally, as that I am one of the ones with the firepower, I don't fantasize about offing this or that criminal.....if I had the chance. I don't think that is healthy but further, I think that leads to patterns of thought that support such a wrong decision, could lead to the wrong decision in a critical moment, be it a tactical situation.....or even voting for someone who calls for such action.

The most I go to fantasizing is some TV land thing and often, it is rather fantastic. Ever see 90210 where Donna almost gets raped in the beach house (and David comes charging to her rescue)? Well, in my fantasy, I am hiding there in the shadows, place a 12 gauge to his temple while he is atop of her and blow his head off (why, didn't even have the decency to get him off Donna first).

Okay, that is phase I. In phase II, who is investigating me? Lt. Columbo! His problem, 10 minutes before the rapist was killed, I was positively confirmed to be 60 miles away by unshakeable sources and 10 minutes after, that alibi was reconfirmed by the same. To do that killing, I would have to move at Mach 1+ (actually at Mach 2 for how I did it), so if I did it.....how?

That's as far as I take my murder fantasies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, I am currently watching Mindhunter, and that's part of the information. They start out fantasizing. Best not go down that road.

Then again, a murder mystery author would have to.
That's the way Amos Kline......ie, Simon Templar......worked (at 15:35)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnGkX1HAhGw

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 06-26-2022 at 04:03 PM..

Old 06-26-2022, 03:46 PM

8,663 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
On the contrary I don't find it to be that unusual, and to a certain extent probably a fairly common way to deal with frustrated anger.
It may be common (or not); that doesn’t make it beneficial (or healthy) regarding the OP/thread. If I was personally associated with such a person, it would certainly give me pause (as it’s a clear indication, from my perspective, they are not as emotionally healthy as they could be relative to unresolved anger/fantasy). In other words, it’s far more healthy to have a (constructive) life, or working toward such, than be lost in thought/fantasy relative to taking a life. It’s not rocket science.

Additionally, while not all go on to actually commit the crime, thinking about it in detail/planning it in one’s mind is certainly how it starts for those who do.

Old 06-26-2022, 03:56 PM

16,070 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Cheap shots aren't really conducive to an exchange of ideas.

Old 06-26-2022, 03:59 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
You could have tried the leg of lamb method - you kill him with the frozen leg of lamb; then you dispose of the murder weapon at dinner.
Yes. Made me smile. "Two Bottles of Relish" short story by Lord Dunsany.

It's a wonderfully grim crime mystery.

http://www.americanradiotheater.org/...-OF-RELISH.pdf

Old 06-26-2022, 04:32 PM

729 posts, read 600,480 times
Quote:
I don’t find the dream disturbing in and of itself - as I previously stated. What I find disturbing is the lack of emotional attachment (and anger) required to plan/feed the thoughts/details of murder, per the thread (and to think of it as beneficial in some way). It doesn’t have anything to do with dream analysts.
You have an interestingly piqued censorial take on my reactions to my own ancient dreams. This interests me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology