Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 04:24 PM

9,487 posts, read 16,380,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Like most people, I have a lot of regrets. That's life. There's one that comes to mind that I think was life-altering. I interviewed and was offered a job at a long-established rose grower in Oregon. I would have helped run the gift shop, learned how to deal with all the growing barns, the irrigation system, learned all about their particular roses that are their signature rose... in short, I would have learned the entire business. It would have been life-changing. So, I accepted the offer and was really excited, even though I had an old truck and it was 30 miles away.

As the same time, I was offered a job at a large grocery chain (think: the "S" word). My family was adamant that I take the grocery job because it paid more and was local. I reneged on the rose grower job. The grocery job turned out to be a disaster. I was sent to a store that didn't need me, the manager was rude and had no idea why I was sent there, he called HR and chewed them out, so I was out of a job, as there was nothing else available at that time. Lost out on both jobs.

So yeah, the whole course of my life changed at that point. All because I listened to family instead of my gut. Big regret. Oh well. That's the breaks. Listen to your heart, and listen to your gut, that's my advice!

I took a part-time job at the S grocery store on the Gresham Troudale line some years ago. I lasted 1 day. The schedule had me working 3 hours a week, and I hired on for 15 to 20. So I said No Thanks and quit. I heard last year the roof of that store collapsed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2022, 04:44 PM

10,950 posts, read 6,687,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I took a part-time job at the S grocery store on the Gresham Troutdale line some years ago. I lasted 1 day. The schedule had me working 3 hours a week, and I hired on for 15 to 20. So I said No Thanks and quit. I heard last year the roof of that store collapsed.
Wow. That company is apparently almost as bad as the W word. For the record, the store I was hired at was in the area between Beaverton and Portland. I see that it is no longer there, probably relocated to a newer build location. The only thing I can say is that the HR person was really bad at her job, and sounds like the same at the store where you briefly worked. I have other regrets, but that one sticks out in my mind. There are large regrets and small regrets. Like others here have said more eloquently than I have, it's part of life as much as it can hurt.

Old 10-04-2022, 05:40 PM

5,320 posts, read 8,488,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I regret that my instincts told me to not move to Florida in 2015 and I didn't listen. I listened but didn't feel I could manage a move last year. Now I know I cannot remain living in Florida. The expense of it and the stress from these Hurricanes, and other issues is a constant here. I've had enough.

So I regret having wasted all this money to retire to this state. There is not enough sunshine and Palm Trees to make me want to remain here.
I was just talking about this with a friend the other day- how people in Florida deal with the stress of the unpredictability of hurricanes. Its easy to say that most of the state is not affected by them (which many people say), but when a big one comes through, the path can change, and evacuating is not easy. To me, it seems like it would be very stressful.

Old 10-04-2022, 07:09 PM

21,487 posts, read 12,588,095 times
This is a good one to cry to if you have regrets, particularly about hurting or failing a loved one in the past; I guess it wouldn't resonate with the no-regret contingent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHJ2QAocHLs

Old 10-04-2022, 07:57 PM

246 posts, read 116,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I have a major regret in my life that has been weighing on me for a few years now. Its regarding a relationship with a family member. They are still alive, so its possible I still have time to do something about it.

So it probably isn't a surprise I was drawn to this audiobook - The Power of Regret. It sounds a bit cheesy, but its deep, and really thought-provoking. It goes completely against the pop-psychology notion of having "no regrets." I highly recommend it.

The author has been conducting research on regret through his website with a survey - https://worldregretsurvey.com/ - so far more than 19,000 people have submitted a significant regret they have, along with some basic demographic information. Its anonymous, and only takes a minute to complete. I submitted mine.

If you click on the survey link, and scroll down, there is a map where you can read regrets people have submitted from all over the world by country, and in the US and Canada, by state. Its really amazing to see the commonalities of what people regret in their lives, despite age and gender.
Haven't read the article yet , but I will , for now all I have to say , if a person has no regrets , they are either lying , or they have not lived their life. Life has consequences.

Old 10-04-2022, 08:08 PM

246 posts, read 116,476 times
Most of these answers from 16? 19? twenty somethings.....give me a break here, they have barely lived , holy guacamole , having major regrets before they even have kids ...they have a heckava life ahead of them. I still had my whole life to go then . Maybe these kids are onto something. They just may be learning and will become wise I sure hope one and all make good choices and have a great life , think .... Oh boy , now I have even more regrets !

Old 10-04-2022, 08:44 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,126,671 times
Regrets? Working 70 plus hours for a good part of my life in pursuit of the almighty dollar! Missed a good part of my children growing up...time you can never get back!

Old 10-04-2022, 08:46 PM

6,869 posts, read 11,180,688 times
Smile The odds

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I was just talking about this with a friend the other day- how people in Florida deal with the stress of the unpredictability of hurricanes. Its easy to say that most of the state is not affected by them (which many people say), but when a big one comes through, the path can change, and evacuating is not easy. To me, it seems like it would be very stressful.
I've lived in Florida since I was 11 and I love it.

In the county I grew up in, there have been 18 storms from 1900 to 2010.

In the county I live in now, there have been 16 storms from 1900 to 2010.

Not all of these were huge Ian or Andrew like storms but it is not as stressful as you think.
You can prepare; you have time to leave and get out or stay.

We live about 5-8 miles from the beach so we had Wilma in 2005, Jeanne and Frances in 2004. Andrew spared our area but was headed to us (turned south). Wilma was the surprise.

We have impact windows and doors now and literally, we do not hear a thing. We also have the shutters still just in case.

I'm not sure I would be OK living on the 30th floor of an oceanfront condo. Condo living is not for me. I like a single family home and we have dogs. One is a big guy.

Old 10-05-2022, 11:18 AM

3,867 posts, read 6,773,234 times
Regret has an element of hindsight to it. The funny thing about hindsight is that it's impossible to put yourself back into your state of mind prior to the events unfolding.

When we have a full 20/20 view of what transpired, the decisions you made, and the final outcome it's easy to say I "regret" this or that. In reality you were working with the information you had at that time and made your decision. Whether your decision panned out like you expected or not is what causes your "regret".

For example, I regret the best man I chose for my wedding. It was between my childhood lifelong friend who my mom calls her second son but rarely saw OR a friend I hung out with 2X a week or more, worked with, and made me his best man at his wedding. I chose the friend I saw all of the time because at that time he truly WAS my best friend. Eventually he moved to Raleigh and my childhood friend moved back so we reconnected. I'd love to reverse my decision but it's not possible. Its not that my choice was bad, I just feel that my childhood best friend deserved the honor more. Either way, its done.

To the poster who said they regret moving to Florida for retirement. You took a risk and it didn't pay off. You could have just as easily loved every bit of it and regretted not moving sooner, so you never know.

Old 10-05-2022, 11:57 AM

21,487 posts, read 12,588,095 times
I equate regret with conscience; some simply don't have the capacity to feel bad about their own actions, whether past OR present. And, as the podcast points out, that's indicative of a much bigger problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology