Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2022, 03:50 PM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
As Jerry Springer, who was raised a poor to lower middle class kid, said...the biggest lesson he learned about money was "It's easy to make money, if you have money."
Springer took advantage of folks for almost two decades in order to make money and gain popularity; I’m certain money didn’t buy him happiness (or a conscious, for that matter) - and not even good sex/a social life as he resorted to hookers/had to pay for it, lol. From my perspective, he’s an odd person to quote relative to the thread.

In other words, it’s easy to make money if you have a solid education (and common sense) - and you’re already happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2023, 07:24 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Springer took advantage of folks for almost two decades in order to make money and gain popularity; I’m certain money didn’t buy him happiness (or a conscious, for that matter) - and not even good sex/a social life as he resorted to hookers/had to pay for it, lol. From my perspective, he’s an odd person to quote relative to the thread.

In other words, it’s easy to make money if you have a solid education (and common sense) - and you’re already happy.
He came from nothing and got a Grade A education, excelling at school. Became a lawyer, then ventured into TV. Admirable insofar as a true success story. This comes, of course, from his parents and family when he was growing up. Good parents make the difference in so many instances, seems to me.

But if you have amassed a $1 Million in expendable funds, you can put that in an index fund and turn it into multiple millions without doing a thing. As he said, "It's easy to make money, if you have money."

Old 01-01-2023, 09:39 AM

13,689 posts, read 7,973,244 times
For those who suddenly come into money it doesn't change the person as much as it magnifies the quality they already possess.

As far as money making you happy:

"Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it."

David Lee Roth

Old 01-01-2023, 10:08 AM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
He came from nothing and got a Grade A education, excelling at school. Became a lawyer, then ventured into TV. Admirable insofar as a true success story. This comes, of course, from his parents and family when he was growing up. Good parents make the difference in so many instances, seems to me.
I agree re: good parents, to an extent. Once one is making their own career/life choices, however, it’s on the individual - not their parents. Many folks who grew up in less than ideal circumstances are successful; many who grew up with every advantage in life are not. That said, I think you missed my point regarding the thread, which isn’t about success/money in and of itself but happiness relative to such.

From my perspective, in order for money to enhance one’s life, we must already be happy/content with who we are i.e. psychological wellness and solid coping mechanisms as well as strong/stable personal relationships. Springer, on the other hand, obtained such by taking advantage of the downtrodden and using his power in a questionable manner early on in his career as well; he was known to use hookers many times. Clearly, his life was out of whack; a socially ‘normal’ guy i.e. one who is well-educated, successsful and so on does not (need to) resort to hookers for a satisfying sex life or display/encourage the pain and suffering of others for his own gain or popularity (all while giving off a self-righteous vibe in comparison to the guests on his show).

In other words, money was clearly the focus, rather than a byproduct, of a happy life.

Old 01-09-2023, 05:19 AM

246 posts, read 120,005 times
Happiness is not getting what you want...............Happiness is wanting what you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology