Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 08:10 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
My trigonometry teacher in high school was 5'2". He would stand on his desk waving a yardstick while talking about random stuff, and frequently mentioned that Napoleon was 5'2".
And another post that mentioned a Napoleon Complex.

"In the 21st century, people may not be able to say exactly why Napoleon was so important, but they can usually say that he was short. Alas, the one thing everyone remembers about Napoleon probably isn’t even true!"

"Yet interpretations of Napoleon’s death certificate estimate that his height when he died was between 5’2” and 5’7” (1.58 and 1.7 meters). The discrepancy is often explained by the disparity between the 19th-century French inch, which was 2.71 cm, and the current inch measurement, which is 2.54 cm. Sources consequently estimate that Napoleon was probably closer to 5’6” or 5’7” (1.68 or 1.7 meters) than to 5’2”. Although the range may seem short by 21st-century standards, it was typical in the 19th century, when most Frenchmen stood between 5’2” and 5’6” (1.58 and 1.68 meters) tall. Napoleon was thus average or taller, no matter the interpretation."

I got this info from the following links which shows how popular belief can be manipulated by the press.

https://www.britannica.com/story/was-napoleon-short

The political cartoons of the English probably didn't help much either as they always depicted him as very small, almost childlike. The History dot com site on this topic explains this aspect further.

https://www.history.com/news/napoleon-complex-short

------------------------------------

Old 12-17-2022, 11:08 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,830,041 times
I would say yes,it is true. The short men I dated were some of the most meanest men,even worse if they were short and fat.

Old 12-18-2022, 05:17 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,244,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My tenth grade geometry teacher called me The Giraffe. I was so humiliated already because of my height and my looks, plus I was terribly self-conscious and shy, that I started getting "sick" and having to go home before math class. He just could not stop pointing out my height and making fun of me. As soon as I walked into the class, "Oh here comes The Giraffe."

As an adult, I remembered him one day and it finally dawned on me that it was HIM who was uncomfortable because he was a short man and took it out on the gawky, homely, six-foot-tall girl in his class. Wish I'd realized that at 15 instead of turning it inward.
Sorry you were picked on MQ, and the last people who should have been doing it were the teachers.

Old 12-18-2022, 06:12 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
My trigonometry teacher in high school was 5'2". He would stand on his desk waving a yardstick while talking about random stuff, and frequently mentioned that Napoleon was 5'2".
He told some of us we were smart, so we could work on our own. I didn't ever do any work in that class, and still barely know the first thing about trig, but all the tall girls--including me--got As.

But that's just one guy, and I don't believe that all short men are like that. It's just a funny story now; good thing I never had a dire need for trigonometry.
Definitely not all short men are like that. I've known some men of excellent character over the years, particularly professionally, who did not let their stature turn them into mean little bullies.

Old 12-18-2022, 07:40 AM

3,246 posts, read 1,737,655 times
When I was in the Navy my platoon chief would call me over and stand on a chair to "correct" me. This only served to encourage me to screw things up for comedic effect. Yeah, I was (and still am) that kinda guy. When I sold Acuras & Honda's I'd open the sunroof and stick my head out thru the roof when I had to move cars on the lot. <--- my manager

Old 12-18-2022, 07:58 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,554,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I would say yes,it is true. The short men I dated were some of the most meanest men,even worse if they were short and fat.
Sounds like you made some pretty poor picks to start with. Glad to see your personal small sample size validates the topic as factually true.

Old 12-19-2022, 12:36 PM

5,321 posts, read 6,098,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Sounds like you made some pretty poor picks to start with. Glad to see your personal small sample size validates the topic as factually true.
I think she like most women aren’t really attracted to short men so she was looking for any reason she can to no longer date them.

If she had a few bad experiences with good looking tall men she wouldn’t stop dating tall men or generalize them negatively

Old 12-19-2022, 12:50 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My tenth grade geometry teacher called me The Giraffe. I was so humiliated already because of my height and my looks, plus I was terribly self-conscious and shy, that I started getting "sick" and having to go home before math class. He just could not stop pointing out my height and making fun of me. As soon as I walked into the class, "Oh here comes The Giraffe."

As an adult, I remembered him one day and it finally dawned on me that it was HIM who was uncomfortable because he was a short man and took it out on the gawky, homely, six-foot-tall girl in his class. Wish I'd realized that at 15 instead of turning it inward.
You didn't tell your parents about him? They could have told you, it was probably all about him. Or they might have reported him to the principal.

Old 12-19-2022, 03:45 PM

10,970 posts, read 6,849,128 times
My high school typing teacher looked exactly like the gunnery sarge in Hogan's Heroes (Frank Sutton) who was always harassing Gomer Pyle. We were all terrified of him because he acted like the sarge, too. He was very short and built like a tree stump.

That being said, I don't believe this study. Too generalized.

Old 12-19-2022, 05:24 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You didn't tell your parents about him? They could have told you, it was probably all about him. Or they might have reported him to the principal.
I didn't really talk about school much with my parents, but I remember I did tell my mother about that teacher. I think I was feeling hormonal, and I was crying about it. My mother grew up as tall as me at an even worse time, during WWII when she had even fewer choices for clothes and shoes, so she just sort of sympathized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.