Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 03:00 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times

Advertisements

There's some exhibitionism involved and liking to be the center of some attention.

She being a former NFL cheerleader (as you state OP) fits right into that.

As for City-Data being or not being a 'connection' zone, it definitely is. Not for making connections in real life, but for feeling connected to some other posters psychologically and emotionally and in helping some people who post to not feel as alone and to have people to talk with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2022, 03:17 PM

23,296 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
There's some exhibitionism involved and liking to be the center of some attention.

She being a former NFL cheerleader (as you state OP) fits right into that.
Especially once the spotlight has moved elsewhere. Yearning for faded former glory.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-26-2022 at 03:27 PM..

Old 12-26-2022, 03:47 PM

3,144 posts, read 1,600,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Their condition is called monetizing LOL..
Exactly. If people are willing to watch you doing mundane things and you could monetize that, why not. A young, attractive female who is alone probably yields more views than a couple who are together from delusional males thinking about asking her to marry them.

Old 12-26-2022, 04:40 PM

25,959 posts, read 22,113,827 times
There are at least hundreds of youtube channels like this. I don't subscribe, but sometimes watch for informational purposes, as many give reviews of areas and products that interest me. The majority of the ones I watch are seniors that are full-time living in their SUVs and Minivans for low amounts of social security, some have part-time or seasonal jobs. At this point, I am living vicariously through their channels. My turn is coming soon!

Now, the young women that show "skin" and "stuff", well, they are getting their views from guys who are, well, I'll let that one go.

There is really nothing wrong with these people, at least as far as I am concerned. Seriously, there was a time when one could do their own thing and be a little different, rather than be a cookie cutter imagine of everyone else. Sad that is being lost.

Old 12-26-2022, 04:54 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
There are at least hundreds of youtube channels like this...There is really nothing wrong with these people, at least as far as I am concerned. Seriously, there was a time when one could do their own thing and be a little different, rather than be a cookie cutter imagine of everyone else. Sad that is being lost.
Except that in all striving to be so "different," they all become very much the same! As you said, they're a dime a dozen these days.

Old 12-26-2022, 05:42 PM

11,474 posts, read 5,995,398 times
I don't ascribe some psychological condition to these people. Their lifestyle may impact their psychological condition, but I don't feel the opposite is true.

I beleive that most YouTubers just want to get rich, while living an independent life free of the typical 9-to-5 rat race working for an employer.

Most go bust. Some make it. Hot young women tend to make it more often that most others, playing off their hotness to greater or lesser degree. Some actually produce somewhat interesting content.

Art is all about how you do it, not what you do. Leonardo DiVinci's "Last Supper" is just 13 guys at a dinner table. Pick the right guys and paint it just so, you have a masterpiece.

I have never heard of the girl the OP linked. Clicking her video link, it appears her video has a half million hits. Google says she was on "The Bachelor" and is worth $3 million, and earns around $500,000 per year. She was never going to earn that working for starbucks or teaching high schoolers or being a government employee.

This is the kind of big score most YouTubers are looking for. We will see if she can maintain the appeal after she loses her looks.

I think the nature of the beast does not lend itself to socialization. They tend to work far in excess of 40-hours a week traveling, filming, and editing. They don't have time for a social life. I think their plan is to get rich and sign off and live off of their wealth, but it easy to fall into the trap of never knowing when to quit. Posting videos and having hundreds or thousands of followers, is inherently therapeutic. You have a captive audience to listen to all of your thoughts, dreams, plans, and complaints. How do you ever stop?

Most never get off the ground. Some get rich, and it remains to be seen if their posting addiction can ever be overcome. You don't see many in lasting relationships, if they have any relationships at all. Their ambitions is to be rich and popular, and they subordinate everything to that goal.

Psychologically, I would simply say they are ambitiously driven to the exclusion of all else.

As related to "lonely" lives or what have you, they don't have time to "feel" lonely because their activity, filiming, and posting is continuous throughout the years of their lives. Some day they will turn around and be 60 and either bask in the body of work they produced, or wonder where their lives went so fast with nothing to show for it but a torrent of vapid videos.

I think the dream is to get rich by 30 and then live a life of independent wealth thereafter. Or maybe by 40. Or if necessary by 50. Whenever. Any plans or desires of marriage or family must be delayed until independent wealthy is achieved or the YouTuber quits in failure and rejoins the 9-to-5 rat raced they strongly sought to avoid.

Most don't seem to want marriage or relationships anyway. They may someday regret that, or not.

Old 12-26-2022, 05:48 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
I don't know why people would watch videos like that... or make them.

But, as for using CityData, I like it because I can connect with people without leaving my home. I can interact without inviting anyone over for tea. I don't like to entertain, not even a little bit. Although I have many interests outside of the internet, it's nice to sit back in my baggy sweatpants, relax and chat online with people I don't know.

Old 12-26-2022, 08:33 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
What is mundane to you may be very exciting to a lot of us.

Old 12-27-2022, 05:26 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,215,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Exactly. If people are willing to watch you doing mundane things and you could monetize that, why not. A young, attractive female who is alone probably yields more views than a couple who are together from delusional males thinking about asking her to marry them.
Yup I think people are reading way too much into this. It’s a business at the end of the day. No different then someone’s favorite athlete endorsing crappy Papa John’s Pizza even though they don’t eat that crap themselves. In fact most YouTubers endorse products they actually use themselves which makes them a little more authentic IMO than mainstream advertisements with famous sports stars who are just whores to the most lucrative endorsers.

Old 12-27-2022, 06:14 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
I'm much more curious about ordinary people who do this. In particular, young parents who are addicted to social media who are constantly photographing, filming, and posting their very children online. One I know personally seems to be trying to make a social media influencer out of her young daughter, dressing her in expensive outfits, several a day (no, it's not monetized), coaching her to do cute things (you can sometimes see the coaching on the edge of the screen, etc.). and dozens of likes and comments every time. That seems to me to be pathological!

Then there are the random ordinary people who "go live" for seemingly no reason.

Just seems unhealthy to be this invested in technology, but I've always disliked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology