Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 07:49 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,237,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It's possible to be snarky and witty, without being rude.

It's possible to share ideas and debate, without arguing.

Maybe steer between those bounds.
...lots of people can't tell the difference on here and it can get you suspended - it's a very fine line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2023, 08:03 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,439,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
...lots of people can't tell the difference on here and it can get you suspended - it's a very fine line.

...and at the end of the day, these are words on the screen. If there are doubts about tone, one should ask questions before assuming negative intent. This is, of course, taking into account the offended actually cares about resolving whatever issues they perceive, instead of just looking to get their way.

What's most hilarious is we don't actually know WHO is behind the screen. At least we shouldn't, unless a member has willingly shared those details with you. So what exactly are people reacting to, when they get so angry over words to the point they feel the need to report vs. use their own will to ignore. Lack of self control, perhaps.

Old 01-17-2023, 08:12 PM

6,634 posts, read 5,857,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
One of my New Year’s resolutions is to stop being rude and to stop arguing online.

From now on, I am not going to be rude or argue online. And if someone is rude to me or wants to argue, I am not going to engage.

This is in the psychology forum because I read in the Wall Street Journal that you can change your personality, even late in life, and taking a small step at a time helps do that.

So, everyone, if you see me being rude or arguing, you can hold me accountable.
Bravo! A noble goal. I also try to control my natural temptation to respond bluntly and rudely. It is strange that people are so much more restrained in person than electronically.

That said, people are way less restrained in person than they once were. Social norms have changed, and the old controls on our behavior -- fear of opprobrium, frowns from authority figures, our parents, our religious leaders -- have disappeared or lost much of their influence.

I find the best thing is to (1) stick to the facts as I see them, and avoid making "you" statements, as in "You are wrong!" type of direct challenges, but instead "In my opinion..."

and (2) when I get mad at someone's outrageous insults or whatever, it's time to fast-forward to the next thing. "Mute user" is also a useful tool.

Old 01-17-2023, 08:28 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,439,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
That said, people are way less restrained in person than they once were.

I agree. I've noticed an increase with a certain group trying to physically intimidate me when in public (invariably where I stand out as someone who--in their minds--shouldn't be there). I generally ignore them, but if the behavior continues I return the favor. It's funny watching them shrink when they realize they can't intimidate me (particularly disturbing when this bullying comes from men).

Old 01-17-2023, 09:04 PM

32,804 posts, read 36,064,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
One of my New Year’s resolutions is to stop being rude and to stop arguing online.

From now on, I am not going to be rude or argue online. And if someone is rude to me or wants to argue, I am not going to engage.

This is in the psychology forum because I read in the Wall Street Journal that you can change your personality, even late in life, and taking a small step at a time helps do that.

So, everyone, if you see me being rude or arguing, you can hold me accountable.
You've been rude? I guess I've missed that. I'm not easily offended.

Old 01-18-2023, 05:43 AM

24,354 posts, read 9,215,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
They can't tell the difference because it's all subjective. Something "snarky" that gets you suspended in the Relationship section could go ignored in the Politics/controversies section. In one section it's a violation, in another section its just a mod cut. In one section the entire post is deleted, in another section it's just fine.

Snarky, witty, sarcasm, rude, dark humor, tounge in cheek, it's all subjective.

Old 01-18-2023, 09:12 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,346,348 times
That is an admirable goal. Good luck with it.

Old 01-18-2023, 10:45 AM

18,748 posts, read 11,731,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
If that's your goal then stay out of the P&OC forum here.
Oh come on, that's half the fun
One person's definition of rude is an others definition of that's just the way I communicate. Some one might be rude without even knowing they are being rude. Yes there are rectums that know they're being rectums.

For me? I just let it roll off and forget about it. Comments from random people are not important to me.

That's not to say we shouldn't try and be nicer to one another so kudos for that OP.

Old 01-18-2023, 12:06 PM

5,614 posts, read 3,048,097 times
I admire those folks who always seem to have an even keel. I am not one of those people. I even DM'd a member once, to tell her how I admired how she ALWAYS seemed to choose to respond evenly...even if people did not treat her the same way.
I also admire those folks who have a wicked sense of humor. I have laughed MANY times at some of the smart aleck shenanigans going on around here. LOL

Old 01-18-2023, 12:56 PM

1,108 posts, read 946,921 times
Sometimes, it's best to walk away and regroup. Taking a break is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology