Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 03:58 PM

5,576 posts, read 3,002,180 times

Advertisements

I post probably daily...but not all day.

if something BIG and bad happens, I may post...because yeah...I'm asking for some emotional support. Like when my dad had a heart attack, and then he died...yeah friends, hold me up a little bit, ok?

But I'm mostly about fun and happy stuff. Facebook doesn't need to know if I had a fight with my husband, or my kids aren't fond of me, or my stepson is circling down the drain, and we wonder how many people he'll take down with him...or we're getting ready to put my mom in 'a home', etc. Nope. Facebook doesn't need to know all that.

Here...I'm anonymous. On Facebook, I am not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2023, 04:20 PM

20,676 posts, read 19,795,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
While I agree I’m not interested in any of that crap either, why the need to unfriend/unfollow a friend over personal differences re: social media? I just ignore it. That said, why would you be questioning (or care) if a drama queen has friends ‘in real life’ - aren’t you one of those friends (if you were following them and know their drama).
No, I don't have any friends who post drama on social media and the ones I unfriended were usually not really friends. They were friends/relatives of friends or people I barely know.

None of my friends post drama publicly. We speak about real stuff in person or on the phone to selected people. Maybe it is a generational or cultural thing. I don't want everybody and their sister know about my personal life. I have about 100 friends on facebook - from family to friends to people I know from childhood to former coworkers. Most of these people do not need to know when my grandmother died or where I am right now. I post special event stuff that I don't care about if some stranger in India reads about it. I don't understand why so many people feel the need to tell the world everything about them. Yes, you can limit your audience on facebook but in my opinion - what's out there is out there - so I only post what I would not mind seeing published all over the news.

Old 10-20-2023, 04:26 PM

8,438 posts, read 3,698,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
No, I don't have any friends who post drama on social media and the ones I unfriended were usually not really friends. They were friends/relatives of friends or people I barely know.
That was my point i.e. why be friends with them in the first place (especially persons you don’t know)? I see folks complain about drama or social media often; but, if you are participating by posting or following nonsense, you’re part of the problem.

Old 10-20-2023, 05:48 PM

20,207 posts, read 14,430,848 times
Quote:

None of my friends post drama publicly. We speak about real stuff in person or on the phone to selected people. Maybe it is a generational or cultural thing. I don't want everybody and their sister know about my personal life. I have about 100 friends on facebook - from family to friends to people I know from childhood to former coworkers. Most of these people do not need to know when my grandmother died or where I am right now. I post special event stuff that I don't care about if some stranger in India reads about it. I don't understand why so many people feel the need to tell the world everything about them. Yes, you can limit your audience on facebook but in my opinion - what's out there is out there - so I only post what I would not mind seeing published all over the news.
I've got a lot of "friends" on Facebook I guess...over 500 I think...but they are at least acquaintances in real life. But I don't really post much personal stuff there at all, the vast majority of my posts are "shared" content. Cool art, funny animal videos, jokes, memes, articles. Gorgeous old houses listed for sale. If I get enjoyment from something, I often think that my friends might as well.

If I need to talk about something in my life, I usually call my Mom. She's crazy, but I love her and she doesn't judge. And she's got nothing better to do most of the time, than have a long conversation about stuff.

The people that I unfriend or unfollow...a good example of that, was a coworker who was a very nice older lady I enjoyed talking to, but once I accepted her as a friend on Facebook, every post was some weird "share this and tag all your friends or you don't love Jesus" or a religious "motivational poster" type thing...and it isn't the kind of thing I'm on there to see, so I told her truthfully that I thought we'd be better friends off social media than on, and I unfriended her on there. She didn't take it personally. We continued to have a nice rapport at work.

Old 10-20-2023, 06:15 PM

20,676 posts, read 19,795,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
That was my point i.e. why be friends with them in the first place (especially persons you don’t know)? I see folks complain about drama or social media often; but, if you are participating by posting or following nonsense, you’re part of the problem.
I get friend requests from a lot of people I don't know or friends of friends that I don't know or people I barely know. First I did not want to be rude and approved them. Usually regretted it.

Now I usually don't approve them. I see no point in collecting a bazillion fake friends. Maybe I am too old for this but I really do not give two cents about a strangers or semi strangers life.

Old 10-20-2023, 10:26 PM

21,442 posts, read 12,558,787 times
Quote:
People who don't post all day only on rare/special occasions/vacations are my kind of people. Why not post a happy event? People who have a life. Hobbies, family, friends ... They don't need to put their life and what they eat on display for everyone to comment on.
Why should "happy people" feel the need to post "special occasions/vacations" and other "happy events"? It's all exhibitionism and for attention, whether they're positive or negative posts. The longer you DON'T do it yourself, the more clearly you see this and the sicker the whole thing seems. I haven't posted anything in forever. It finally occurred to me that no one really cares; they're all busy posting about their OWN lives!

Old 10-21-2023, 04:03 AM

14,418 posts, read 22,363,178 times
My biggest issue with FB friends are so the once that constantly have to tell us how they feel along with a selfie that mirror that emotion. I mean. I guess it's ok sometimes but every single day. Aslo, people who constantly post selfies so that all their friends can write stuff like " ABSOLUTLEY GEORGOUS".. LOL!
Once a girl I used to go to school with put a selfie of herself, one of many she post every week, and one of her male friends commented " you look really tired" Wow, she snapped back and then deleted the picture.
But I will admit, when FB was new I was always posting meanless crap so I wasn't that much better. I do laugh when I see my FB memories comes up and look at the things I posted.

Old 10-21-2023, 04:09 AM

14,418 posts, read 22,363,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Why should "happy people" feel the need to post "special occasions/vacations" and other "happy events"? It's all exhibitionism and for attention, whether they're positive or negative posts. The longer you DON'T do it yourself, the more clearly you see this and the sicker the whole thing seems. I haven't posted anything in forever. It finally occurred to me that no one really cares; they're all busy posting about their OWN lives!
I had a couple of friends, married couple, who was always posting vacation trips, pics of the kids skiing, going to Disney land, renovating the house, happy happy happy all the time. Then , one day I see him with a new profile pic of himself and a new chick. I call my friend and ask her who the hell that chick is posting with her husband. She tells me that's his new girl friend. After that we have been talking and all their picture perfect family life clearly was all a façade.

Old 10-21-2023, 09:36 AM

19,364 posts, read 12,014,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I had a couple of friends, married couple, who was always posting vacation trips, pics of the kids skiing, going to Disney land, renovating the house, happy happy happy all the time. Then , one day I see him with a new profile pic of himself and a new chick. I call my friend and ask her who the hell that chick is posting with her husband. She tells me that's his new girl friend. After that we have been talking and all their picture perfect family life clearly was all a façade.
That is just a common facade that some people do on social media.

But what about actually believing it, squishing down all the real issues because social media is used as a happy pill. NOT saying to broadcast deep personal things, but to be able to face them ourselves. Putting up the facade can prevent us from seeing the whole picture as it really is - bring us into a kind of denial.
Social media is like a drug for some people, and not a good one.

Old 10-21-2023, 10:45 AM

8,438 posts, read 3,698,199 times
Quote:
I get friend requests from a lot of people I don't know or friends of friends that I don't know or people I barely know. First I did not want to be rude and approved them. Usually regretted it.

Now I usually don't approve them. I see no point in collecting a bazillion fake friends. Maybe I am too old for this but I really do not give two cents about a strangers or semi strangers life.
Yeah, I don’t see the point in approving them in the first place - never have. That said, I don’t unfollow my friends, family or colleagues just because of some selfies or posts that I don’t care about (and am not likely to notice anyway). Frankly, I think it a rude thing to do to a friend, particularly when one can simply ignore it. Drama, on the other hand, is a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology