Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2023, 01:31 PM

22,236 posts, read 47,157,925 times

Advertisements

Or maybe they are simply posting so that they have that memory stored, to pop up in years to come.
Or maybe they want relatives to stay connected.
etc
etc

Odd that you know the reasons why parents post photos of their children...
I thought you avoided social media, yet you know that your "friends" post photos every day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2023, 01:36 PM

21,437 posts, read 12,558,787 times
I said I no longer POST on social media -- myself. I do occasionally scroll in my downtime for the sheer entertainment value. And, yes, some of these people are my family. And even if it were "just for the memories" (whatever happened to private albums?), I personally think it's invasive and intrusive, if not exploitative, to compulsively post your underage children for attention, especially on public status. Just my opinion.

Old 10-22-2023, 03:08 PM

48,267 posts, read 34,383,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I said I no longer POST on social media -- myself. I do occasionally scroll in my downtime for the sheer entertainment value. And, yes, some of these people are my family. And even if it were "just for the memories" (whatever happened to private albums?), I personally think it's invasive and intrusive, if not exploitative, to compulsively post your underage children for attention, especially on public status. Just my opinion.
Most people have their pages set to Friends/Family only.

People love their kids, pets, grand kids, food, travel photos, etc.

Most of us love seeing them too, and are happy they shared. It keeps people up to date on your life even though you may be thousands of miles away. Plus it can be viewed as the person has time, not a phone call which can be inconvenient, and........ doesn't have pics.

So yes, show me your lunch! (when I'm in the area I might want to try that restaurant) Show me your kids/grand kids (they will be a foot taller next time I see them, so it's nice to see them growing up). Show me your pets! (because anyone on my friends list is a animal nut like us)
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-22-2023, 03:52 PM

19,364 posts, read 12,014,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
So "too positive" bad, and "too negative" bad.

So can you all let me know what the correct ratio is?

Along with the don't post pics of food, pets, grandkids......
Too much of anything can be overwhelming and turn people off. Unless you have a page for something in particular in which case it would be expected to be mostly about that topic.

Old 10-22-2023, 06:07 PM

48,267 posts, read 34,383,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Too much of anything can be overwhelming and turn people off. Unless you have a page for something in particular in which case it would be expected to be mostly about that topic.
But "too much" is totally subjective.

So I propose that the fault is not in the poster, but in the reader. And the reader doesn't HAVE to read. So move along.

Heck, even my "tolerance" changes day-to-day, sometimes I'm in the mood for someone's grand kids, and sometimes I could care less. /shrug That's the beauty of the "scroll".

That is also the beauty of social media. If I'm on a call and don't want to hear about the kids, I'm pretty stuck, and have to strain at the politeness meter. Online? I can look when I like and not look when I like. Good lord, if all of life could be like this it would be heaven.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-23-2023, 10:44 AM

20,207 posts, read 14,430,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
But "too much" is totally subjective.

So I propose that the fault is not in the poster, but in the reader. And the reader doesn't HAVE to read. So move along.

Heck, even my "tolerance" changes day-to-day, sometimes I'm in the mood for someone's grand kids, and sometimes I could care less. /shrug That's the beauty of the "scroll".

That is also the beauty of social media. If I'm on a call and don't want to hear about the kids, I'm pretty stuck, and have to strain at the politeness meter. Online? I can look when I like and not look when I like. Good lord, if all of life could be like this it would be heaven.
I'm just gonna be all kinds of honest for a second, and say that I'd much rather see photos of my adorable nieces, than try to have a phone call with my brother and hear their very high pitched shrieking voices in the background. He's got three little girls under the age of 6 in his house.

otterhere asked, "what about private albums?" Well, if all the photos were in private albums then I would never get to see them at all probably, I rarely am physically visiting with family that live all over the country. Though I do share in a bit of a lament that this has fallen out of fashion, because I've been going through the stuff of deceased relatives and I really enjoy the photo albums. They are more enduring, if not best for sharing with others who may wish to see them.

And I can say, since my late in-laws kept boxes of correspondence, that in the old days people mailed HEAPS of cards, letters and photos to each other. I've been throwing away a lot of pictures of people we don't know (mother in law had a busy social life) and I dunno...these things have pros and cons. Through letters that are left behind, those of us who care can learn more about people who are not here anymore. The internet seems like much more information but such a flood of it, that nothing is important, few voices rise above the noise to seem important in any way that would have meaning or last. I do feel like something has been lost, in the move away from letters and phone calls.

But it doesn't make me salty about what other people are doing on social media.

Already said the flavor of this is reminding me of the grumpy attitudes of people in the mid-Atlantic region where I grew up. Later I realized how silly it was, that they were just negative people who complained a lot and were not very friendly, and they were simply justifying that by calling it "honest" and "real." It's not any more real than someone who is genuinely positive in their outlook and attitude. There's nothing special about either one, we just are who we are.

If a family member only shared happy looking things and I later found out that behind the scenes, things were troubled... I think my reaction would be to wonder if I was a good enough friend for them, if I should have checked in with them more, or if for some reason they did not TRUST me enough to tell me what was going on. Like do they have cause to think I would judge them or gossip about them? Was there a reason I was not thought of as part of their support network if they needed one? Why did they think they had to go it alone? Because that's what that is, when you put up the truly false front of happiness. It's isolation. People don't do that "for attention" or to show off. People do that because they are making a heroic effort to try and handle their crap without making a spectacle of it. Or because they don't believe that anyone truly wants to actually be there for them.

Old 10-23-2023, 10:55 AM

5,576 posts, read 3,002,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Why should "happy people" feel the need to post "special occasions/vacations" and other "happy events"? It's all exhibitionism and for attention, whether they're positive or negative posts. The longer you DON'T do it yourself, the more clearly you see this and the sicker the whole thing seems. I haven't posted anything in forever. It finally occurred to me that no one really cares; they're all busy posting about their OWN lives!
Maybe those happy people are genuinely happy to see other people's vacation/special occasions/other happy events, and so those happy people assume their friends will be happy for them.

That's pretty much my sentiments anyway.

Old 10-23-2023, 01:33 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,635,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Mm, I'm not sure.

If the negative situation centers on you, and you're using humor to cope with it, you're applying a positive (humor) to the negative situation so you can deal. And in some of my lowest times I tried to be grateful for what little I DID have and optimistic that if I kept pushing forward, then my life might get better...that helped keep me feeling empowered to accomplish things.

. . . .
Fair enough. There could be good or bad points to positivity in a negative situation. I think that (positive) humor can be used to help in negative situations depending on contexts. Basically, as long as the positivity isn't used as a weapon that would otherwise affect the dignity or self-worth of a person unnecessarily, could positivity be a good thing. But, it definitely could be a bad thing, or "toxic" too.

Context matters- always.

Old 10-23-2023, 01:42 PM

22,236 posts, read 47,157,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Maybe those happy people are genuinely happy to see other people's vacation/special occasions/other happy events, and so those happy people assume their friends will be happy for them.

That's pretty much my sentiments anyway.
Mine also!

I think some people lack the ability to be happy for others.

Old 10-23-2023, 01:51 PM

5,576 posts, read 3,002,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Mine also!

I think some people lack the ability to be happy for others.
I have a facebook friend who is currently in Europe with her husband for their anniversary. Paris, Portugal, London, Poland, and The Netherlands so far. She's been posting lots of pictures of the places they've been, their gorgeous hotel rooms, the delicious food they've been eating, etc.

I'm tickled to DEATH for them, that they've gotten to take this trip. What an amazing time for them. I can be happy for them.

I have another facebook friend who's currently touring Africa with her girlfriend. They've gone on a couple of safaris so far. Lots of pictures of hippos and chimps that I've seen. I'm happy for her too...although she takes fabulous vacations seems like every year. lol Her pictures of Viet Nam were pretty cool.

Dang...I have the emotional capacity to be happy for them when they're happy. There's nothing wrong with that. And there's nothing wrong with hoping for the same from our friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology