Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 01:47 PM

20,216 posts, read 14,446,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
I love taking photos but am overly obsessed with not having anyone in the picture if at all possible. My family gets mad that I don't take "people" (as in picture of me) while on vacation. I know what I look like, they know what I look like I don't need photos of me but I do like photos like the one you took. In fact, I have two framed ones in my dining area of Venice, Italy.
Yeah. I honestly do regret not taking more pictures of my sons while they were growing up. That was DEFINITELY about being "in the moment" and not wanting to be bothered fooling around with some device to get photos. I enjoyed my time with them and our conversations and the activities we did together when we did day trips and things. I did take some, but I wish now that I had more.

(They are young adults and now I live in another state and don't see them often. At least one of the two likes to take and post selfies. The other one does not.)

Hell, OP, these days you are recorded in tons of places you go in public anyways. There are cameras in every store. Cameras on people's doorbells. In parking lots.

But if you feel you've got an entitlement to tell strangers on public hiking trails not to take nature photos because you fear that due to a camera in their hand they might be trying to sneak shots of you not looking your best... I'd like to gently suggest that not everything is about you. I am...disinclined to acquiesce to that request. But I do at least have enough courtesy to not only avoid getting strangers in my shots but to probably avoid even letting it look like I might be trying to photograph other people. As in, I'm pointing my camera another direction entirely or waiting for them to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2023, 01:54 PM

1,045 posts, read 567,572 times
The OP is pretty much stating 2 issues with today's device heavy society:

1) EVERYONE seems to be always be concerned with their phones. Staring down on it while driving, walking, hiking, eating, being with friends, etc.

I do own a smartphone and understand it's part of life now. People texting me about events coming up or asking me something etc.

But I too HATE that most ppl are addicted to them. I would get together with friends and there would be a group that are attached to their phones... social media, surfing for cool videos, etc. That irks me. Why are we even together here?

2) Since everyone has a smartphone, they tend to take pics / vids all the time and then yes post on social media. In the past before smartphones it would be relatively rare for ppl to carry around a camera and take shots unless you are in a tourist area etc.

This part I don't really mind too much. It's part of being in public... as long as they don't stalk you and take multiple pics.

For the most part the addiction to our phones will have very bad repercussions. Esp for the younger generation born with a device in their hands. I see that with my friend's kids.

Me: hey why is your (10 YO) son upset?
Friend: we had to leave our friend's place and he was upset that he was no longer connected (wi-fi, no data).

We are all use to having the convenience of our devices, but the younger generation won't know what to do without them.

Old 09-05-2023, 02:56 PM

401 posts, read 267,679 times
You have to learn to ignore these folks. At the end of the day, are they missing out on the moment bc they are too busy posing getting their insta ready pose done right, or are you? I take photos on every vacation, but I don't post any on social media until days later when I am back home bc I like to actually enjoy my trip. Your little subtle jab towards the middle aged ladies taking photos in their bathing suits, I'm considered middle aged or close to it, and still weigh 125 pds like I did at 23 and have a rocking body better then half the 20 somethings I see walking around. I am sure I don't have people saying "no thanks." lol

Old 09-05-2023, 02:58 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,057,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The laws are very clear on this. If you are in a public place, you can expect no right to privacy. That means you can be photographed without your consent. Simply being in a group does not change the law.

The OP appears to have asked if they were over-reacting. The answer is yes. If police can be photographed while making an arrest, if peeping Toms can be photographed in the act, if dashcams can record crashes and at fault drivers, being upset at being seen in a public place in any personally chosen attire, and then having that recorded, is most certainly over-reacting.

Unless the OP is part of a witness protection program, or does not want to be seen as affiliated with the group they are in, the motivation for the negative response to being photographed most often comes down to simple vanity.
Legally, that is 100% true. I think it's more about what is considerate than what is legal. These are fellow hikers not 1st Amendment auditors. The relationship should be friendly not adversarial. And it probably is so I question if these people taking and posting pics are aware of how the OP feels.

Old 09-05-2023, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It's not limited to just hiking, which was the point of my post, as I've already complained about the hikers (who, while staring at their phones, are also wont to follow Alltrails onto wrong trails instead of following the actual leader). It has now pervaded literally every activity I pursue. Even practice sessions, spontaneous meetings, or lunch out with friends (I do this only rarely for myriad reasons; this is yet another) end up on the world wide web within the hour with multiple pics (no one seems to edit down to just the best, but simply snap compulsively and then photo dump online) of not just the food and the obligatory group shot, but candid shots of people talking and EATING. I can be seen, or rather not seen, as a blur running away from the group that's trying to talk on a hike or a partial body hiding behind another's at dinner if I happen to observe the sniper in time, but since the phone is constantly in their hands regardless, it's hard to tell. At least in the old days, you had a pretty good idea you were being photographed when an actual camera was pointed at you. Please just put the phone down -- but they can't or won't. And if and when I run away, I'm a Debbie Downer and ruining all the fun, while everyone else seems to regard it as normal. Hence, I wonder if I'm the "weird" one, but I honestly think I'm just the non-addict seeing - and suffering from - their addiction.
If everyone else sees it as normal and you see it as offensive, then by definition you are the abnormal one. I too question your aversion to being photographed. News flash, no one really cares anyway.

Last edited by oceangaia; 09-05-2023 at 03:14 PM..

Old 09-05-2023, 03:14 PM

Maybe hikers are looking at their phones because they are looking at a trail map, looking at a compass app, checking the weather forecast for the afternoon, reading background info about the area they are in, or trying to photo identify a bird or plant they just saw?

Old 09-05-2023, 03:55 PM

21,498 posts, read 12,595,676 times
To clarify: I don't care if fellow hikers are staring at their phones instead of being present in the moment (that's their loss); my objection, which I think I made clear, is having candid, unflattering (such as topping a hill with a red, sweaty face and mouth wide open) pics of ME posted on "public" status and tagged so everyone who knows me - or doesn't - gets to see it -- again, without my permission. Quite likely you're correct that "no one cares," but - however shallow it may be of me - I care. If I were 20 and looked amazing, maybe I wouldn't, but I'm not and I don't, so I do. That's my hang-up, perhaps, but also my prerogative. There are two issues: 1) the troubling herd mentality of "smart" phone users and its effect on society, which isn't really the topic of this post and is probably another conversation for another day on the "Psychology" forum, and 2) one's personal privacy, over which I believe the individual should retain SOME control, however controlling, weird, or abnormal that may make him or her in this digital age. I simply wondered HOW abnormal. Apparently very!

Last edited by otterhere; 09-05-2023 at 04:10 PM..

Old 09-05-2023, 03:55 PM

8,880 posts, read 5,899,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No. It's considered rude to post a picture of someone without asking if it's OK or if they don't know it is going to be posted.

Usually these days if a group shot is taken, it is assumed somebody is going to post it. But random shots of someone, especially in a swimsuit or even any type of shot of a person? No, not without checking with them.

Rude?

Rude is a four-letter word that no longer has any meaning. It might the only four-letter word that is no longer used by all.

People are so taken with themselves, that they rarely consider others. In some cultures, it is believed that by taking a picture of someone, you have captured their soul.

But in the US:

I have my rights.
I have my space.
I have my music.
I have my language with a full complement of four-letter words.
I have my phone conversations on speaker.
I have my clothes with all sorts of body parts falling out.

Old 09-05-2023, 04:02 PM

21,498 posts, read 12,595,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Maybe hikers are looking at their phones because they are looking at a trail map...
This was in fact the case on one of my hikes, in which the back half of a group of about 30 hikers veered off on a side trail because Alltrails so directed the person staring at the phone at that juncture and not because I had lost them; we were still in sight. Apparently AT inspires more confidence? I knew this was coming when a group of them surrounded me with their phones in hand at the beginning of the hike asking the names of the trails so they could stare at the map the whole way. As it turned out, it wasn't a totally "wrong" turn, as so many on Alltrails are (sometimes disastrously so), but a shortcut, as a result of which they finished the hike a half hour before the first half of us and missed one of the major highlights. No one seemed to mind, however...???

Old 09-05-2023, 04:03 PM

22,871 posts, read 18,160,783 times
You've created at least one other thread complaining about unauthorized phone photos and the SM addictions you don't share OP. Does it need to be rehashed all over again? Besides, creating phone-free events is hardly a new concept!

You do seem to find reasons to put down others in your hiking and other group activities. If your current groups no longer suit you, that's not their fault. Maybe you're just becoming the odd man out more and more often. Find or create another.

Others are not required to conform to your wishes. Lay in a supply of T shirts or neck placards that read "No Photos Permitted Without Permission!"

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-05-2023 at 04:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology