Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 06:26 PM

18,417 posts, read 9,011,021 times

Advertisements

Before you ingest any psychedelic substance, read this article:

https://bulletin.hds.harvard.edu/a-t...ith-bad-trips/

The effects of these chemicals seem to be pretty random and unpredictable. And the effects can last long after the chemical has left your body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2023, 09:55 AM

1,564 posts, read 707,602 times
It's a long read, but thanks for posting.

That's exactly what freaks me out about trying drugs, especially 'natural' drugs like mushrooms where you have no idea what kind of dosage you're ingesting.

I went on a hike with a bf once who spotted a dry cow patty on the ground, flipped it over to look for mushrooms, and lo and behold started eating them right there on the spot, saying he hoped they were trippy. I was shocked and scared, wondering what I would do if he ended up poisoning himself out in the middle of nowhere. Nothing happened, but...what an idiot.

Old 09-25-2023, 10:50 AM

11,874 posts, read 8,166,466 times
I tend to be cautionary having lived through the Sixties and seeing the damage done. Thanks for the song, Neil Young. Can we tame that with experimentation and knowledge? Can the quirks of the individual mind be known and mastered?

Maybe one of the reasons these chemicals can be useful is that stripping of identity that people experience. It may give a person a new way of looking at themselves and their interactions with their world. Suggest possibilities.

It is also within that very experience that some seem to become trapped. We used to say, "He took a trip and never came back."

The sense of oneness with all things is a tempering one. Something many people naturally intuit.
It seems a thoughtful and healthy approach to life. But humans need safety, boundaries, common sense in the material world. Maybe that's why those meditating on such things sought out a quite cave or mountain peak to live in the dream. LOL

As young people we are more experimental, take more risks, I think. It is true that everyone needs a vacation from reality now and then. It's, heavy stuff, Man. And actually it is healthy to have an occasional escape. But moderation is the key to using relief in a healthy manner.

With these drugs there is so much unpredictability. What will be moderate about the first dose?

I've been on the "guiding" end after the damage.

We had books, education, experience, a team of psychology experts, spiritual counselors, medical doctors, social workers, physical and job therapy people trying to solve the problem of how to help that eighteen-year-old lying up there in the psych ward crying and frightened because he didn't know who he was any more.

Usually that meant eventually passing him on to a half-way house where there would be even less therapy and knowledge and hoping time would clear the brain. In spite of caring, expense and time most of those people found their way to a half-life of sorts on the streets. They were like hollowed out, eccentric cyphers.

It occurs to me a large part of the puzzle was that an eighteen-year-old doesn't have much of a "there" to return to. Perhaps older, more experienced people benefit from having a more solidified sense of self. Like it or not, at least there's an anchor.

Old 09-25-2023, 02:35 PM

19,553 posts, read 19,955,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post

I've only tried weed twice in my life, both times it made me extremely sick and uncomfortable and scared me off for good. I'd be open to trying mushrooms in a very safe, controlled experience.
"Controlled experienced?!" lol...

Dude, if marijuana scared you that bad, then mushrooms are not for you.

Old 09-25-2023, 02:40 PM

48,215 posts, read 34,248,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
"Controlled experienced?!" lol...

Dude, if marijuana scared you that bad, then mushrooms are not for you.
Meh. I don't like pot, I get uncomfortable on multiple levels, but I'm fine with mushrooms.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-25-2023, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

But the thing is...my friend, she describes all of her experiences with hallucinogens vastly different from what my acid trips were like. She talks about all this "feeling of oneness with the universe" stuff. Personally, I didn't get anything like that. But I'm not a very mystical person and was not in search of a spiritual experience. I just got a sense of cool clarity, a shutting down of my typical thought narratives (similar to the effects of ADHD meds, ephedrines, and other powerful stimulants on me) and beautiful visual hallucinations that were just colors and movements and distortions and patterns. And just an obsessive desire to LOOK and look, to an extent that all other bodily urges or imperatives were totally suppressed. I did not want to speak, or think, or eat, or have sex, I just wanted to spend the hours enjoying all of the pretty visuals.

I don't know if mushrooms will be like that for me or not.
RE: The Pattern

It's fractals, the Fibonacci Sequence, the golden ratio. Sacred geometry and the structure of reality is what you are shown on LSD. This is called "God's fingerprint", and this is precisely where the potential for having a spiritual/religious experience exists for the individual. I've had it myself.

Terence McKenna On Fractals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWKCsrwA1PY

I enjoyed tripping for many years as a teenager in the 90s, until I saw the darkside, and once you've been shown that, you can't unsee it, so I don't mess around..

Old 09-25-2023, 03:15 PM

10,351 posts, read 7,419,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
It's a long read, but thanks for posting.

That's exactly what freaks me out about trying drugs, especially 'natural' drugs like mushrooms where you have no idea what kind of dosage you're ingesting..
You can either weigh the mushroom wet or dry and get a pretty good idea of the potential dosage.

Body weight and personal sensitivity are a couple minor variables.

For recreational use, of course one should use a small to moderate amount with an initial dose. Mushrooms only "disintegrate the ego" with sizeable consumptions.

For therapeutic use, trust the persons setting up the experience.

In either case if you're "freaked out" about the potential effects it's probably best to take a pass.

Old 09-25-2023, 05:23 PM

In my opinion, there are some big problems with the modern-day psychedelic movement:

1) Bias: people who have good experiences with these drugs are often biased in their favor. They might downplay the dangers. Psychedelics have a tendency to create "evangelists." Rick Doblin is a case in point. He's behind much of the modern push for legalization and medicalization.

2) Reliance on anecdotes: in the popular press, there is a tendency to rely on testimonials and individual stories, rather than statistics. We hear stories of alcoholics who were miraculously cured of their addictions, but we don't hear as much about the people who were damaged.

3) Corruption by money: there are big business interests who want to capitalize on psychedelics. They have little concern for public safety, and they have enough money to bribe the regulators and politicians.

Last edited by Freak80; 09-25-2023 at 05:39 PM..

Old 09-25-2023, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I enjoyed tripping for many years as a teenager in the 90s, until I saw the darkside, and once you've been shown that, you can't unsee it, so I don't mess around.
Can you expand on the bolded statement? What do you mean when you say you saw the "dark side?"

Old 09-26-2023, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Can you expand on the bolded statement? What do you mean when you say you saw the "dark side?"
I was accidentally dosed a puddle in the palm of my hand instead of a few drops. (I was @ a rave in the DC Armory, thousands of people there) A friend led me outside to the car, and on the way, faces of strangers around me were literally turning into demons. Then, when we finally found the hotel, I made the mistake of looking in the mirror... There were good, and funny, and interesting times along the way, but my inner reality had changed significantly, and the experience had altered my personality, I think for the worse - it was more depressing for me than anything, as I had internalized everything. It was just too much and something that took a while to shake afterward. Not sure if it's a coincidence, but I started getting ocular migraines about 6 months later, and I still get them to this day, twenty-some years later.

I'm certain mushrooms are different, for 1, they grow naturally. I remember trying them once and not tripping at all that I could tell. The worst part was the taste, I could barely stomach them, so I probably didn't eat enough. Ending up smoking a bunch of weed anyway.

I know this stuff isn't for everyone, so fair warning. And if you're scared, you definitely shouldn't do it, that fear willl skew your entire experience. Stay clean and just say no. Don't do it if you have young children, my personal opinion, the children must come first. This is something one should be fully on board with and ready to just let go and say eff it.. You gotta be @ that point in your life where you're ready for whatever comes, with the freedom and space to process it all afterward. But I'm not against it for those who are prepared to eff around and find out ..

Bill Hicks - Mushrooms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE45bAde84I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology