Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2023, 12:40 PM

12,591 posts, read 8,820,605 times

Advertisements

Ok, this question isn't about people who hold strong opinions and can't be swayed by fact. Rather this is about very simple situations where simple learning an understanding should be obvious but some people just keep doing the same thing. Kind of like pounding on a wall rather than walking through the door.

Prime example that brought this up: An item won't fit in the space available. Becomes pretty obvious really quick that it's too big (long, wide, tall, whatever) to fit. Yet someone keep shoving, pushing, twisting, trying to make it fit. Even telling them to stop for a minute and think about it just get's more shoving.

Why does it bother me? Because I'm one of the people who has to clean up the mess and fix things after these folks create a mess or wind up breaking something along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2023, 01:33 PM

22,249 posts, read 47,174,114 times
They continue doing that because they can avoid admitting they are wrong and/or they can avoid admitting they need help.
Quite sad, really....

Old 10-22-2023, 05:04 PM

22,844 posts, read 18,137,155 times
The old saying about doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different outcome seems to sum that up quite well. And use a fewer words in the process

Old 10-23-2023, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The old saying about doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different outcome seems to sum that up quite well. And use a fewer words in the process
But why though, especially in these cases where the result is obvious?

Old 10-23-2023, 08:59 AM

6,692 posts, read 4,676,011 times
Frustration? Why do people throw things in anger or put their fist through a wall?

Old 10-23-2023, 09:15 AM

1,082 posts, read 562,485 times
Your post reminds me of why I found a new dentist in 2022 after 12 years going to the same practice. Short version, I needed a crown for my tooth and the first one they ordered was the wrong size. Even though it was obviously incorrect, they spent what seemed like an hour trying to force it to fit my tooth.

This is only a small part of the story, but that level of incompetence led me to leave without a word and never look back.

Old 10-23-2023, 01:07 PM

87,995 posts, read 83,827,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
But why though, especially in these cases where the result is obvious?
So someone else will do things for them.

I have a friend who every few months starts to whine about her computer being too slow. She doesn't clear her browsing history. She doesn't know how. I have shown her how a couple of times now, and so has another friend. When I ask her when she cleared her history, she looks at me and says, "I don't know how to do that."

"I've shown you. It's easy."

"I don't remember."

I've even told her to get a pen and paper and write down the steps but she can never find that piece of paper again, of course.

When she wants to remember how to do things, she can, of course.

It also is that way with information she doesn't want to know. For a time I was a vegetarian, and my daughter still is. Occasionally she will say, "I just don't understand how you are getting your protein if you are a vegetarian (or vegan)."

So I've explained that there are plant sources for protein and that adult humans don't really need as much protein as we were once told, blah blah blah, not trying to convert her to vegetarianism, just providing information, and when I am done she looks at me and says..."I just don't understand how people who don't eat meat are getting their protein."

I JUST TOLD YOU!!!!

Obstinate about NOT LEARNING is the correct phrase.

Old 10-23-2023, 01:23 PM

5,580 posts, read 3,005,892 times
Sometimes, an individual doesn't like being told what to do. They would rather be wrong, than have Xyz tell them what to do. I've seen this in families before. There will be a sibling who is generally bossy, and they will often have advice all the time, for another sibling. That sibling is over it. That sibling has had to listen to the bossy sibling all their life...and they stubbornly insist on doing it their own way...right or wrong.

Or a husband who always has advice for the wife...and she doesn't want to hear it. She will do 'it' HER way, and husband will wonder why she insists on doing it the 'wrong' way.

Old 10-23-2023, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
So someone else will do things for them.

I have a friend who every few months starts to whine about her computer being too slow. She doesn't clear her browsing history. She doesn't know how. I have shown her how a couple of times now, and so has another friend. When I ask her when she cleared her history, she looks at me and says, "I don't know how to do that."

"I've shown you. It's easy."

"I don't remember."

I've even told her to get a pen and paper and write down the steps but she can never find that piece of paper again, of course.

When she wants to remember how to do things, she can, of course.

It also is that way with information she doesn't want to know. For a time I was a vegetarian, and my daughter still is. Occasionally she will say, "I just don't understand how you are getting your protein if you are a vegetarian (or vegan)."

So I've explained that there are plant sources for protein and that adult humans don't really need as much protein as we were once told, blah blah blah, not trying to convert her to vegetarianism, just providing information, and when I am done she looks at me and says..."I just don't understand how people who don't eat meat are getting their protein."

I JUST TOLD YOU!!!!

Obstinate about NOT LEARNING is the correct phrase.
I've had that exact experience training new hires at work. Spend all day showing them something and the next day they will swear that you never showed them. Just wish they'd have to face the consequences instead of someone else having to clean up the mess.

Old 10-23-2023, 04:52 PM

87,995 posts, read 83,827,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I've had that exact experience training new hires at work. Spend all day showing them something and the next day they will swear that you never showed them. Just wish they'd have to face the consequences instead of someone else having to clean up the mess.
When my former manager and I were looking for new people, our goal was to simply identify someone who was smart. Oh they needed good writing and editing skills and a few other concrete requirements, but it was a specific facet of public procurement few people have experience in. If they were SMART, we could teach them and they would catch on, and that's what we looked for.

Note that being smart and having certain degrees or education are not the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology