Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2023, 03:35 PM

6,704 posts, read 4,685,229 times

Advertisements

What? I can't imagine thinking that much about eye contact. It happens. Then you go on. No big deal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2023, 03:36 PM

375 posts, read 162,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
All over the Internet? Which Internet?
the Internet your currently on. #clownemoji

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I mean absolutely no disrespect...do you think MAYBE you might be on the autistic spectrum a little bit? Folks with autism have difficulty with eye contact. Maintaining contact does not come naturally for them.

Bless your Heart, and I mean absolutely no disrespect.... do you think MAYBE you're on the judge other people without any qualifications so I can feel better about my crappy life spectrum a little bit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post
Is this really affecting your life in such a way you feel the need to talk about it?
well, this is a message board/ forum, obviously the OP affected you enough that you felt the need to take time out of your day to respond to a post that you seem to feel is unnecessary.

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more
mes·sage board
noun
a website or web page where users can post comments about a particular issue or topic and reply to other users' postings.

Old 10-25-2023, 03:44 PM

5,588 posts, read 3,018,536 times
[quote=JSOFFLine;65997664]the Internet your currently on. #clownemoji

Bless your Heart, and I mean absolutely no disrespect.... do you think MAYBE you're on the judge other people without any qualifications so I can feel better about my crappy life spectrum a little bit?

Actually, I AM a little bit qualified. I have a son on the spectrum. I know from experience that he has difficulty with eye contact. And hey, I was commenting, not judging. If you're on the spectrum, you're swimming upstream like a salmon all the time. It's tough.

I approached the OP the way I did because in the past, I have been a little sarcastic with him, and I wanted to convey that I was being...conversational, not confrontational.

Old 10-25-2023, 03:52 PM

1,785 posts, read 794,204 times
Outside of work I avoid making eye contact with people as much as possible. It tends to invite interaction or conversation, neither of which appeal to me for the most part and actually make me uncomfortable. It doesn't mean I'm rude, but rather a body language signal that says "don't talk to me right now". Sometimes I wonder if I should wear a "STOP TALKING" tshirt for those that don't pick up on it and are feeling extra friendly.

Old 10-25-2023, 04:06 PM

5,588 posts, read 3,018,536 times

Also, I want to add...we get a lot of folks who are on the spectrum, who come to this forum for various advice because what we (who are less on the spectrum) take for granted, they want concrete information.

I would suppose for someone who DOES have difficulty with eye contact, it DOES seem like constant harangueing and quite tiresome, to always be told "make eye contact" when it doesn't seem natural at all to them.

Old 10-25-2023, 04:21 PM

824 posts, read 427,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
A. By making eye contact you are acknowledging their existence as a person.
B. It shows that you are interested in what they are saying.
C. The perception that someone who isn't willing to look you in the eyes is hiding something.

Yeah l know that but people you don't even know don't need anyone's or your acknowledgment.
And the hiding something stuff is just bs too imo , wth are we hiding from people we don't even know, whatever we are is none of their business anyway.
Not only but a liar or someone up to something will lie straight to your face anyway, that's their game.

Old 10-25-2023, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Stop searching or otherwise surfing places about eye contact and live the way you want with less eye contact.
I don't see things online that I'm not already looking for in some way.

Kidding , l don't go searching this bs, you can't miss it.

Old 10-25-2023, 04:27 PM

44,929 posts, read 59,929,483 times
I think we're seeing one of the results of people living their lives online instead of interacting, even at low levels, with real people in person in social settings.

Old 10-25-2023, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post
Is this really affecting your life in such a way you feel the need to talk about it?

Nope, l'm 50s, l've had it down pat for yrs , it's no problem l know how l work and why and how other people work around me as l said.
it's just something l'm curious about really from other peoples point of view bc you just see it talked about so much.

Last edited by randomx; 10-25-2023 at 04:38 PM..

Old 10-25-2023, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
What? I can't imagine thinking that much about eye contact. It happens. Then you go on. No big deal

But that's my point ,or one of.
So many do seem to think about it though and make such a point of it just sounds fake and almost forced.
Especially any of the dating stuff they'll write about. Almost every post will crap on about eye contact.
But you also see people talking about it in all kinds of situations so much too , not only dating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology