Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2023, 11:35 AM

15,795 posts, read 6,856,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohangr View Post
I don't really watch the news that much. If I happen to watch it, it's because someone else is watching it - usually they bring me a bit down or I find them unimportant, but I don't really feel the grief. I usually prefer to focus on what happens in my surroundings more than globally, cause honestly, I got my own stuff to worry about and I worry enough as it is!
I guess I don't think about it that much, but I grew up in a house where we would watch the news and worry and fight about politic and stuff and I never really understood why we have to focus on that part. Each person can affect their surroundings and as long as I try to be a good enough person (in my eyes at least!), then I've affected the world in a positive way, despite not being informed as well as others.

I haven't voted in a long time and although I know it's kind of stupid or maybe I'm just lazy, but there are more ways to affect your surroundings than being actively involved (mind you this is not an advertisement against voting, just current situation).

I agree with what Johny Wadd said and if gathering all this negativity is enough to bring you to tears especially while driving, where you have to be focused and calm, it is affecting you negatively and it is in your hands to change it. It is important to be informed, so inform yourself about yourself and about grief and how to embrace it for what it is and not let it get ahold of your life.

OP, do you have this type of conversations with friends?
Thank you for your response Gohangr
I think eventually we all fall back to our own smaller, intimate world no matter how chaotic the outside is. Life takes over, we have our own stuff to worry about, yes.
After a while wounded children crying for their family fades to a distance, families splintered and away from home also become distant. it is only natural.
But the outer world has big impact on our quality of life, so we cannot really ignore it, even if we stop watching the news. The traumatized children of the wars will grow up in poverty and fear and learn to hate. They are the ones who become radicalized and become terrorists. So by ignoring their cries now we are promoting more terrorism and we will not be immune to that. This kind of utter devastation is contagious. It is Israel and Palastine today, it can be India tomorrow bombing Indian Muslims, as right wind extremist nationalism grows. We are all connected one way or the other, we are the cause and we are all the effect.
My family is very engaged and yes we share our thoughts. Most of my friends online share my feelings and they are as disturbed by the inhumanity of so many civilians destroyed like they are nothing.
I no longer cry in my car listening to the news. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2023, 03:02 PM

22,815 posts, read 18,101,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
My family is very engaged and yes we share our thoughts. Most of my friends online share my feelings and they are as disturbed by the inhumanity of so many civilians destroyed like they are nothing.
I no longer cry in my car listening to the news. Thank you.
There's a difference between seeking mutual commiseration and permitting some horror to derail your life. Finding a sympathetic group to air/share one's distresses isn't a bad thing. It's what you allow those distresses to DO to you and how you ACT on them that makes the difference! Consider the concept behind support groups...

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-10-2023 at 03:17 PM..

Old 11-10-2023, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
There's a difference between seeking mutual commiseration and permitting some horror to derail your life. Finding a sympathetic group to air/share one's distresses isn't a bad thing. It's what you allow those distresses to DO to you and how you ACT on them that makes the difference! Consider the concept behind support groups...
I agree that how we allow the emotions to influence our action, and speech which is also action, is important to consider. Acting in an emotional state is never a good thing, and we should search our own intent and feelings, why do we do this?
What is the concept behind support groups that one should consider?

Old 11-10-2023, 11:19 PM

7,568 posts, read 4,109,735 times
This is a difficult OP because one of the solutions is to turn off media, but it neglects to address the sadness you feel for others now that you are aware of their situation. Shutting off the media can be viewed the same as "if I didn't see it, it didn't happen." It feels out of touch.

What I tell myself is that what is happening in the media is reality for other people and we should help if we feel compelled to. However, it is not reality for me. Therefore, I should continue to be productive in my environment and shut off the media.

Old 11-11-2023, 07:22 AM

49,968 posts, read 63,265,686 times
I’d have shot myself by now, if I had to listen to NPR. But whatever one’s favorite news source is, it’s equally gloomy.

Can anyone explain why people are participating in Anti Israel marches? Where did that come from? It’s like the world has gone stark raving mad. College students who don’t even seem to know what they are protesting are terrorizing Jews on campus.

I focus on insulating myself from a lot of the news, because there isn’t a thing I can do about it, so it makes no sense to worry about it. I’m fortunate that I live in a safe, conservative place, and can still rely on my local police.

Old 11-11-2023, 09:43 AM

560 posts, read 203,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’d have shot myself by now, if I had to listen to NPR. But whatever one’s favorite news source is, it’s equally gloomy.

Can anyone explain why people are participating in Anti Israel marches? Where did that come from? It’s like the world has gone stark raving mad. College students who don’t even seem to know what they are protesting are terrorizing Jews on campus.

I focus on insulating myself from a lot of the news, because there isn’t a thing I can do about it, so it makes no sense to worry about it. I’m fortunate that I live in a safe, conservative place, and can still rely on my local police.
The pro-Palestinian marches are from the same extreme groups that march against every liberal cause that exists - Defund the Police, Black Lives Matter, Global Warming, March on Wall Street, etc. Some of these are causes that need debate but these guys are the same guys that burn buildings, tear down statues, assualt others in marches. Yes agree it does not make sense, I mean tearing down posters of kidnapped children? But you will see the same faces marching and causing disorder at all these other causes.

Anti-Semitism is an "in" thing right now. It's now socially acceptable and simply shoe-horned into all the above causes listed as a "social cause that requires revolt". Some of it is social pressure, much of it is due to disinformation - the same that the OP is a victim of when she states that Hamas is not using it's own citizens as human shields. Many in these groups think that October 7th was some sort of Israeli "false flag" operation. It's unbelievable.

But returning to the topic, if the news impacts one so great that it's impacting there lives, as stated by the OP, then they need to step out of it. The OP has refused to do that and I see she is still posting anti-semetic messages in the other forums. She has lots of issues that she needs to deal with. Hopefully she is not taking the next step of marching and tearing down posters of kidnapped children. We have done what we could in our suggestions.

I like the suggestion of a support group for her however. I am just afraid that, for her, it might mean joining the local Hezbollah chapter.

Old 11-11-2023, 09:56 AM

49,968 posts, read 63,265,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wadd View Post
The pro-Palestinian marches are from the same extreme groups that march against every liberal cause that exists - Defund the Police, Black Lives Matter, Global Warming, March on Wall Street, etc. Some of these are causes that need debate but these guys are the same guys that burn buildings, tear down statues, assualt others in marches. Yes agree it does not make sense, I mean tearing down posters of kidnapped children? But you will see the same faces marching and causing disorder at all these other causes.

Anti-Semitism is an "in" thing right now. It's now socially acceptable and simply shoe-horned into all the above causes listed as a "social cause that requires revolt". Some of it is social pressure, much of it is due to disinformation - the same that the OP is a victim of when she states that Hamas is not using it's own citizens as human shields. Many in these groups think that October 7th was some sort of Israeli "false flag" operation. It's unbelievable.

But returning to the topic, if the news impacts one so great that it's impacting there lives, as stated by the OP, then they need to step out of it. The OP has refused to do that and I see she is still posting anti-semetic messages in the other forums. She has lots of issues that she needs to deal with. Hopefully she is not taking the next step of marching and tearing down posters of kidnapped children. We have done what we could in our suggestions.

I like the suggestion of a support group for her however. I am just afraid that, for her, it might mean joining the local Hezbollah chapter.
What do you think is the motivation of these liberal hate groups? Are their lives so empty that belonging to groups like this fulfills them? I don’t get it.

Old 11-11-2023, 10:02 AM

7,117 posts, read 3,944,278 times
Quote:

Those pro-Palestinian groups predate 2000’s.

They aren’t anti-Jewish, the marches are anti-Zionist. The state of Israel is a Zionist state which allows the murder of Palestinians without punishment. There are so many good books and first hand accounts published. Try French 24 news online.

Right now, the Israeli settlers are removing Palestinians off their land in the West Bank and Palestinians have been killed. No one in the US press is reporting this. We are talking about Christians living in and around Bethlehem in the West Bank being forced off the 2,000 year old homes.

Old 11-11-2023, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Because they are against the actions of the State of Israel, just as many Israelis and Jews are. Since you dont watch news or read newspapers, avoid news, you dont know the resistance by 100oks of Israelis who were protesting on the streets for the actions of Netanyahu. Those in the military were protesting. You dont know all this this that happened prior to the Hamas attack. You dont know the number of innocent civilians are being killed and their homes destroyed. You dont know that the UN is investigating and gathering evidence for war crimes by Natenyahu’s govt. And that is why you dont understand the bolded. You seem to absorb only that information that affirms what you choose to believe.
If you feel jews are terrorized on college campuses, they are not, how safe can you feel?

Old 11-11-2023, 10:21 AM

7,117 posts, read 3,944,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
civilians are being killed and their homes destroyed. You dont know that the UN is investigating and gathering evidence for war crimes by Natenyahu’s govt. And that is why you dont understand the bolded.
There is a huge blackout in the US media. Our media is controlled much like the Soviet Union’s media. It’s been this way for a long time. When George Bush made claims of WMD, not one member of the Democratic Party or newspaper questioned his sources. It’s only gotten worse since then.

It’s the same with Israeli Palestinian issue. The US press just refuses to report on this ongoing 75 year old crisis. The only reports are when Palestinians react to Jewish terrorism. Then it’s how can the Palestinians be so mean/uncivilized/murderous.

God bless the Jew who are speaking up for the Palestinians now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology