Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 09:44 AM

28,840 posts, read 30,088,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Lucky you! Seems like I hear it everywhere now, even from people I otherwise respect.
yeah, it seems to be catching on and it's really irritating....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2023, 09:47 AM

Quote:
heavymindI'm Gen-X and still guilty of using "like" too much. I think it makes me sound dumb, but it's permanently ingrained into my vocabulary. No upspeak, though. I remember hearing that in Australia 20 years ago before it became widespread in the US.
yes, my granddaughter used to use Like a lot, until I started correcting her, and yes, it makes you (meaning you in general) as if you cannot articulate yourself properly....

Quote:
Another annoyance is interjecting "so" and "right" in every other sentence. It's useless filler. I've been noticing standup comedians using it a lot in their bits. "So, I went upstairs to open the door, right? And the moment the door opened I realized I had made a huge mistake. Almost colossally huge, right? The next thing I know I'm standing outside in my underwear, right?........"
Right! no pun intended....lol, but you are right.

Quote:
I suppose it's better than "know what I mean". I had a boss once who said that after every sentence. I counted once during a meeting and told him he'd said it over 30 times. LOL
Don't know what they are teaching in school, but noticing a lot of young people are not able to express themselves using the proper English, for instance, "I seen" them to that....and it's happening a lot.

Old 11-01-2023, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
Also known as the "Australian question intonation" or AQI. It's just an accent. If anything, it makes them sound insecure, like they are asking your approval on every sentence, rather than making themselves sound important.
There are cultures that do raise their voices at the end of their sentences which sounds like a question, however, it's happening way too much in the U.S and it's extremely irritating. I believe they "think" they sound important, like Rich kids or something ?

Old 11-01-2023, 10:40 AM

29,627 posts, read 34,112,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I believe they "think" they sound important, like Rich kids or something ?
I don't think they're doing it on purpose to sound like anything--it's just the way they talk. We live in a big country, and lots of people speak with different accents, dialects, and slang. Language evolves over time, and we're not in school anymore. Even if you're annoyed, there isn't one "right" way to speak English if you understand what's being said (and sometimes even if you don't.)

Old 11-01-2023, 11:16 AM

1,856 posts, read 856,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't think they're doing it on purpose to sound like anything--it's just the way they talk. We live in a big country, and lots of people speak with different accents, dialects, and slang. Language evolves over time, and we're not in school anymore. Even if you're annoyed, there isn't one "right" way to speak English if you understand what's being said (and sometimes even if you don't.)
Agree completely. I'm still trying to discern the psychology topic here.

Old 11-01-2023, 11:21 AM

48,296 posts, read 34,433,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Agree completely. I'm still trying to discern the psychology topic here.
Maybe why some speech patterns, accents and cadences can get on your nerves?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-01-2023, 11:31 AM

20,220 posts, read 14,453,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I agree.

I also think that most people, if they spend any significant amount of time around others, will start to mirror whatever kind of speech they are hearing. Some do this more readily than others, and I would be really interested in knowing more about why that is. I know that a week long vacation in another part of the country, visiting people who have any kind of an accent or speech pattern, will be enough for me to start unconsciously mirroring it. And I once came away from a solid weekend of Monty Python marathon, speaking not just with some accent going on but with the particular pauses and rhythms common to a lot of their sketch comedy.

And in addition to all of the stuff with accents and patterns like that... I pick up what I refer to as "isms" from other people. Particular words, phrases, or even gestures or ways of saying something. I have gone back and watched some show or movie or something I had not seen in many years, only to recognize a thing that I say or do pretty commonly in my speech comes directly from a particular line delivered by some actor, and I'd long forgotten where it came from!

And I have been guilty of doing the Lewis Black "angry fingers and clenched teeth" thing when expressing certain thoughts where I intend a kind of humorous hyperbole. Silly-mad.

I think it's very interesting how we get all the bits and pieces that form our communication.

And maybe when it comes to something like upspeak...a lot of folks find it annoying and might avoid people who do it, and perhaps to some extent, if a person picks it up by mirroring and then does it without thinking it signals association with a social group?

But I actually JUST realized that the Australian comedian Hannah Gadsby does it a lot and I like one of her stand up specials and LOVE another one (Douglas was soooo funny)... It doesn't bug me when she does it.

Old 11-01-2023, 11:37 AM

9,220 posts, read 10,986,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm not certain if this is the correct thread to put this post under, if not, please feel free to move....but I watch a whole lot of vids, and I am so tired of young people doing the uptalk thing....

for people who don't know what that is, its a way of talking to make themselves feel important, at the end of their sentences, they raise their voices as if to ask a question, instead of talking normal.

It is so irritating....and fake....
Ha! I'd guess it's a fad of some sort. I notice that nature shows filmed in Australia, almost all the women do upspeak as I call it. I think it's contagious. They didn't talk like that 20 years ago.

I ran a thread about this and similar, I think I called it Squeaky Voices etc. I find upspeak quite irritating and rather peculiar, but i guess a gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do.
I notice it a lot more among women than men.

Old 11-01-2023, 11:44 AM

48,296 posts, read 34,433,441 times
I can always pick out a 70s movie by the way the women speak. It's breathy, soft voice, even if the situation does not call for that. It grates on my nerves.

Same with 50s movies, and 30s.

It's funny to watch them because the people speak so differently, and it's not just the words used, it's HOW they talk.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-01-2023, 12:59 PM

20,220 posts, read 14,453,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I can always pick out a 70s movie by the way the women speak. It's breathy, soft voice, even if the situation does not call for that. It grates on my nerves.

Same with 50s movies, and 30s.

It's funny to watch them because the people speak so differently, and it's not just the words used, it's HOW they talk.
True!

I am very particular about my preferences for vocalists, too. I've had friends try to play songs featuring some high pitched childlike ultra feminine singing and I cannot cope with it. And I nearly blew a gasket when I was in the car with one friend and a song on her playlist was this kind of singer covering a song by Bjork. I adore Bjork, but the whole point is her unique voice and accent. You can't just...cover...a Bjork song... Actually I think it was "Army of Me" as covered by an out of breath baby rabbit. Like what army could there possibly be of you, I would really like to know...

But who am I to say, I guess...? We live in a society that allowed Depp to play Willy Wonka, as though Gene Wilder did not do it perfectly the first time around. Harrumph!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology