Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 01:48 PM

28,840 posts, read 30,082,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I had to google a video to understand what UPTALK is. I haven't noticed it anywhere around me but I am guilty of starting many sentences with "So." "So I thought that ...", "So I went to the store...."
I worked in the corporate field for many years until retiring, and they younger girls would do the upspeak or uptalk and define it at the end of their sentences to the point it became more then annoying...and they did it worse then any of the examples left here.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2023, 01:49 PM

28,840 posts, read 30,082,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Hey at least we seem to have got past "amaze-balls" and "awesome-sauce."
lol

Old 11-02-2023, 02:03 PM

88,041 posts, read 83,864,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
It is to the point where I want to be careful how and where I use my wittier little words and phrases that I still believe to be "mine" lest they get released into the wild and some other person decides to claim attribution for them. Just imagine me over here clutching my precious little lingo-bits to my chest possessively while giving other people the suspicious side eye...

Anyways.

Does anyone else have a problem with certain words? There are some perfectly legit words I cannot stand and avoid using just because I find them phonetically irritating. I have noticed that a lot of them have a certain 'p' sound in them. Off the top of my head... "Spendy." From the first time I ever heard it, just...gives me "flip a table and storm out of the room" feelings. I have no good reason for this.

I know the infamous "moist" was the classic...as made famous by the show, "Dead Like Me" (which was so good, don't ya just gotta love some Mandy Patinkin?) but oddly that one never really bugged me.
Moist doesn't bother me. I think of devil's food cake, in fact.

But I did laugh watching Canadian PM Justin Trudeau talk about "speaking moistly" during a press conference about COVID, followed by "I can't believe I just said that."

Spendy IS a stupid word.

Old 11-02-2023, 02:07 PM

88,041 posts, read 83,864,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I had to google a video to understand what UPTALK is. I haven't noticed it anywhere around me but I am guilty of starting many sentences with "So." "So I thought that ...", "So I went to the store...."
That's a linguistic marker, though, like "well". I am a big fan of the linguist John McWhorter, and I think he addresses "So" in one of his TED Talks or maybe his podcast. I know he has a TED talk on "lol".

Old 11-02-2023, 02:33 PM

501 posts, read 156,541 times
Phooey, I was hoping for more from this thread. I'm in the middle of 1984, not for the first time, and "uptalk" sounded like classic Newspeak.

While I'm here, people adding "right?" at the end of every sentence currently has me close to pretending I'm Elvis and putting a bullet through the TV screen.

"This is great soup."
"I know, right?"

Old 11-02-2023, 03:22 PM
bu2

23,864 posts, read 14,643,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's a linguistic marker, though, like "well". I am a big fan of the linguist John McWhorter, and I think he addresses "So" in one of his TED Talks or maybe his podcast. I know he has a TED talk on "lol".
People pick up from their peers. Listen to the accents of George HW Bush, George W Bush and Jeb Bush. HW has that Connecticut Yankee twang where he grew up. His son W. has a West Texas twang where he grew up. The other son Jeb has the more muted Houston accent where he mostly grew up.

Old 11-02-2023, 04:09 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,651,618 times
How did this go on for so long without someone bringing up memes, as in the original meaning coined by Dawkins. Whether conscious or subconscious, that's what uptalk is, something that people pick up and spread around.

Old 11-02-2023, 05:48 PM

11,915 posts, read 8,238,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Agree completely. I'm still trying to discern the psychology topic here.
Google "the psychology of vocal style." Remember, everything about us is indicative of our personality style and therefor part of our psychological makeup. It's part of how we present to the world. Maybe even why.

I thought this article in "Glamor" was a particularly interesting take on ingroup language such as Valley Girl, vocal fry, and upspeak.

https://www.glamour.com/story/samara-bay-interview

Speaking in a certain way indicates belonging to a certain culture. This is obvious in native languages and accents but it also includes specialized groups like clowns, jazz musicians, carnies, truck drivers, computer programmers, etc.

Here we are examining vocabulary, but there are also types of vocalizations such as the above mentioned, that indicate what group you belong to.

I scarcely have a right to complain growing up saying things like, "Far out, man" and "Psychedelic!" But the one that really irritates me is vocal fry. It's an affectation that removes the speaker from emotional connection with the listener to my ear.

Unfamiliar with the sound? "Experts" bored beyond tears use it everywhere. Here's a sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8mcBdBL-t0

My ears feel like someone who doesn't care just sandpapered them!

Old 11-02-2023, 06:16 PM

20,216 posts, read 14,446,786 times
I also find it interesting from the "psychology" standpoint, to think about what we find annoying and why. So, not just why do the people speak this way, but why do other people react to it with negative feelings. Including my own feelings about whatever I react to.

"Spendy."

Makes me
"Stabby."

Reee
Reee
Reee

(if only in my head)

Old 11-02-2023, 06:18 PM

1,053 posts, read 440,424 times
The "uptalk" is the absolute worst - so fake and affected - and they don't even seem to realize how annoying it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology