Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-31-2023, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Kentucky Bluegrass
28,825 posts, read 30,016,821 times
Reputation: 18991

Advertisements

I'm not certain if this is the correct thread to put this post under, if not, please feel free to move....but I watch a whole lot of vids, and I am so tired of young people doing the uptalk thing....

for people who don't know what that is, its a way of talking to make themselves feel important, at the end of their sentences, they raise their voices as if to ask a question, instead of talking normal.

It is so irritating....and fake....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-31-2023, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
20,195 posts, read 14,383,749 times
Reputation: 38983
I think that just as emo came along as goth's annoying younger sibling...upspeak evolved out of what we used to call "Valley Girl" talk back in the 90s. The preppie cheerleader types used to drive us all crazy with their "like ohmagoddd, my scrunchiee!" I was one of the ones who mocked them then, and yeah I find the evolution of it annoying now, too.

But imagine, if you will...

My practical, occasionally snarky, 40-something Gen-X self sitting in a big company meeting to watch a presentation by the new VP of Sales who is from the California office. She is young and she's standing up there and not only does she do the upspeak, she is saying a lot of words that mean absolutely nothing. Just spewing corporate jargon to impress the bosses, like she has no idea what she's talking about but she's got to convince everyone that it's Very Professional and Important. Very Boss. Much words. Wow.

"So like, we're going to leveraagge...? The synergyyyy...? Of the culturrrre...?"

In my mind, what this does is it sends the message to all of the employees of a company that if you want to be successful here, shmooze and BS matters more than substance, expertise and work. You don't have to know what you're even talking about, so long as you use the right buzz words when you say it. Fortunately, my location has better management with good practical heads on their shoulders, but I can't speak for the folks in the CA office.

Anyhow, whenever anybody complains about either upspeak or corporate jargon, I recall the interminable meeting where I had to listen to both at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2023, 02:55 PM
 
26,434 posts, read 36,219,357 times
Reputation: 29357
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm not certain if this is the correct thread to put this post under, if not, please feel free to move....but I watch a whole lot of vids, and I am so tired of young people doing the uptalk thing....

for people who don't know what that is, its a way of talking to make themselves feel important, at the end of their sentences, they raise their voices as if to ask a question, instead of talking normal.

It is so irritating....and fake....
So that's what it's called? I can't stand it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2023, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Middle of the valley
48,220 posts, read 34,285,151 times
Reputation: 73088
LOL.

Surfer talk. Black talk. Valley girl talk. Emo. etc.



I'm sure we all sounded like idiots to adults during our teen/early 20's life.

I'm surprised though, I haven't heard much up talk lately, and figured it went out of style.

TBH though, if you give me a few beers I'm just as likely as not, to lapse into Hawaiian pidgin.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2023, 03:46 PM
 
Location: So Cal
19,188 posts, read 15,041,176 times
Reputation: 20185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
LOL.

Surfer talk. Black talk. Valley girl talk. Emo. etc.



I'm sure we all sounded like idiots to adults during our teen/early 20's life.

I'm surprised though, I haven't heard much up talk lately, and figured it went out of style.

TBH though, if you give me a few beers I'm just as likely as not, to lapse into Hawaiian pidgin.
Lucky you! Seems like I hear it everywhere now, even from people I otherwise respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2023, 05:17 PM
 
1,597 posts, read 721,268 times
Reputation: 4872
I'm Gen-X and still guilty of using "like" too much. I think it makes me sound dumb, but it's permanently ingrained into my vocabulary. No upspeak, though. I remember hearing that in Australia 20 years ago before it became widespread in the US.

Another annoyance is interjecting "so" and "right" in every other sentence. It's useless filler. I've been noticing standup comedians using it a lot in their bits. "So, I went upstairs to open the door, right? And the moment the door opened I realized I had made a huge mistake. Almost colossally huge, right? The next thing I know I'm standing outside in my underwear, right?........"

I suppose it's better than "know what I mean". I had a boss once who said that after every sentence. I counted once during a meeting and told him he'd said it over 30 times. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2023, 06:38 PM
 
23,501 posts, read 69,793,426 times
Reputation: 48815
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I'm Gen-X and still guilty of using "like" too much. I think it makes me sound dumb, but it's permanently ingrained into my vocabulary. No upspeak, though. I remember hearing that in Australia 20 years ago before it became widespread in the US.

Another annoyance is interjecting "so" and "right" in every other sentence. It's useless filler. I've been noticing standup comedians using it a lot in their bits. "So, I went upstairs to open the door, right? And the moment the door opened I realized I had made a huge mistake. Almost colossally huge, right? The next thing I know I'm standing outside in my underwear, right?........"

I suppose it's better than "know what I mean". I had a boss once who said that after every sentence. I counted once during a meeting and told him he'd said it over 30 times. LOL
Mr. Maccky in "South Park." "Mmm, Okay?"

You hit the nail on the head in the second paragraph - grammatically those ARE a recognized type of interjection.

IRL, a lot of "upspeak" withers under the proper type of quiet stare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2023, 01:14 AM
 
32,724 posts, read 12,000,973 times
Reputation: 14561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I think that just as emo came along as goth's annoying younger sibling...upspeak evolved out of what we used to call "Valley Girl" talk back in the 90s. The preppie cheerleader types used to drive us all crazy with their "like ohmagoddd, my scrunchiee!" I was one of the ones who mocked them then, and yeah I find the evolution of it annoying now, too.

But imagine, if you will...

My practical, occasionally snarky, 40-something Gen-X self sitting in a big company meeting to watch a presentation by the new VP of Sales who is from the California office. She is young and she's standing up there and not only does she do the upspeak, she is saying a lot of words that mean absolutely nothing. Just spewing corporate jargon to impress the bosses, like she has no idea what she's talking about but she's got to convince everyone that it's Very Professional and Important. Very Boss. Much words. Wow.

"So like, we're going to leveraagge...? The synergyyyy...? Of the culturrrre...?"

In my mind, what this does is it sends the message to all of the employees of a company that if you want to be successful here, shmooze and BS matters more than substance, expertise and work. You don't have to know what you're even talking about, so long as you use the right buzz words when you say it. Fortunately, my location has better management with good practical heads on their shoulders, but I can't speak for the folks in the CA office.

Anyhow, whenever anybody complains about either upspeak or corporate jargon, I recall the interminable meeting where I had to listen to both at the same time.
The girlfriend of a roommate of mine in the 80s sounded like that.

She was from LA County, but from near the border with Orange County (not near 'The Valley'). Another roommate at that time (whose parents actually lived in 'The Valley" and who spent her high school years there) used to make fun of (good naturedly) the way the other roommate's girlfriend spoke. The imitations were hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2023, 08:55 AM
 
1,471 posts, read 1,644,402 times
Reputation: 3583
Also known as the "Australian question intonation" or AQI. It's just an accent. If anything, it makes them sound insecure, like they are asking your approval on every sentence, rather than making themselves sound important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2023, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Kentucky Bluegrass
28,825 posts, read 30,016,821 times
Reputation: 18991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
LOL.

Surfer talk. Black talk. Valley girl talk. Emo. etc.



I'm sure we all sounded like idiots to adults during our teen/early 20's life.

I'm surprised though, I haven't heard much up talk lately, and figured it went out of style.

TBH though, if you give me a few beers I'm just as likely as not, to lapse into Hawaiian pidgin.
well, not all of us sounded strange to adults....
I hear a lot of uptalk when I watch videos and it's mostly women...young girls

well, remind me "not" to give you a few beers....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top