Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 06:22 PM

7,980 posts, read 5,328,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

my kids come over once a week for dinner, and always try to make something different for them. Sat. night it's focaccia, chicken franceses and angle hair pasta, with a pistachio pie for dessert. (I love to cook) and alway make x-tra to send home with them, gives them another meal they don't have to cook....and they love my home made bread.
Your kids are so lucky!!!! You are a gem!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2023, 11:58 PM

28,840 posts, read 30,069,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Your kids are so lucky!!!! You are a gem!
Why thank you, what a nice thing to say!

Old 11-20-2023, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
You are 75 and you like being alone and you enjoy your life. I think your Dil can accommodate to your wishes in your home. Your house, your rules. It is fine. I also understand your feeling about receiving gifts. I find it stressful to receive gifts, all i can think of is how am i going to reciprocate. I do not enjoy shopping for others, some people are very good at it.
I had a very dear girlfriend who has passed a few years back....she had a huge family, and every year she complained about shopping for all of them, one day I said, do yourself a favor, give them gift certificates, or a money certificate, kids love that, they love to buy for themselves...(and so do I) lol.

She said, nope, she had to give a gift....it's how she and my DIL were raised...

Old 11-20-2023, 11:37 PM

15,795 posts, read 6,858,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I had a very dear girlfriend who has passed a few years back....she had a huge family, and every year she complained about shopping for all of them, one day I said, do yourself a favor, give them gift certificates, or a money certificate, kids love that, they love to buy for themselves...(and so do I) lol.

She said, nope, she had to give a gift....it's how she and my DIL were raised...
Gift certificates are great but then from where? Amazon? Lulu Lemon? Too many choices.

Old 11-21-2023, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Gift certificates are great but then from where? Amazon? Lulu Lemon? Too many choices.
are you serious? Anywhere, even eating establishments? The more popular stores with the kids? I mean, seriously, find out where the kids go to buy stuff, and not clothes, but how bout a money gift, or a gift card to an arcade....bowling, ice skating, roller skating, movie gift certificates, kids love them!

If your buying for kids, talk to the parents, find out what the kids like to do, I mean you could even get a gift certificate to a zoo, my gosh any place today has them....

I once gave a little girl a gift certificate to the movies, she loved it, and thanked me so much....ya gotta think like a kid, and give them something fun for them...something that they would enjoy doing but don't get to do very much....an activity, like painting pottery and having it baked in the oven, or a class of some kind...

Same with adults, you could even buy a gift certificate to go horseback riding....or beauty shop, the ideas are endless, so you'd rather buy a present that isn't appreciated nearly as much....and Amazon today is huge, there isn't anything you can't buy on there.....

Old 11-21-2023, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Pitt Chick;

I am happy, actually, when people go in my fridge, especially to help themselves. That way, I am not waiting on them. I don't see that as overstepping at all. My kids and their friends did that all the time decades ago
I don't mind people going in my frige at all, to help themselves, but not when I'm in the kitchen cooking, I don't like my guests doing that then, b/c it seems when they do, then they tend to stand in the kitchen and socialize.....but yeah, even my sons friends when he was younger knew it was ok to go into the frig and get their own drinks or a slice of pie....they would always ask, but I'd tell them, my house is your house when your here.

I am so (assinine) organized, I get everything ready on the counter, the glasses for drinks, the side dishes the bread basket, the lemons for water cut, the salads made and covered with a damp paper towel....right down to the knife for cutting the bread....

I believe that comes from always having a job that required you think ahead and organize things in your mind to save steps like waiting tables....or being a secretary or manager of an office team, creating meetings, travel arrangements, outings, I mean talk about time management....? But sometimes I do wonder if it is OCD

Old 11-21-2023, 09:25 AM

1,825 posts, read 843,425 times
Quote:
Really?!
If you can't figure it out it's probably because you really don't know the recipient well, or aren't trying.

Old 11-21-2023, 10:04 AM

15,795 posts, read 6,858,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Really?!
If you can't figure it out it's probably because you really don't know the recipient well, or aren't trying.
Quite possibly true. I don’t shop much for myself either so it is harder for me to know what is in vogue, latest, or fashionable. mostly i buy Lululemon as gifts because i like fitness clothes and i know most people like the brand so i cannot go too wrong. But that is not what a thoughtful gift is. it is a safe gift.

Old 11-21-2023, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Duh! You've lived alone for 24 years. You are set in your ways and used to having things your way.
Having clean dishes is important. Being able to find the butter dish when you need it is important. And as you get older, I imagine it will be even more important! You don't like people messing with things you have in progress. Maybe you have some mild OCD tendencies, but nothing significant.
actually it's much longer now that I think about it, more like 28 years I think? But basically I've been alone all my life, even as a kid growing up, was never into the so call cliques, trendy, I just wanted to hang out by myself. I enjoyed people, other kids, but was so much more at home by myself...always extremely independent....

and finally figured out, I wasn't meant to be married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology