U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:14 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,306,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Yeah, let me entertain you. I find the most interesting people are the ones that are not perceived as "colorful." Personally, I find those kind of people okay for a short time, a very short time. Mostly they seem to always be saying look at me, aren't I colorful and you can't get a word in edgewise or they don't hear you if you manage to say anything. Now the quiet person watching on the sidelines with the twinkle in their eye.....I want to get to know. I have a couple of friends that are "colorful" and talkers but sometimes I have to yell (with a smile) "It's my turn!" Of course, they are my friends because I can say that and I see their good hearts but wow, it's takes energy to do that.
I know people like that. I always feel like Im a member of the audience. Im not sure if I have a twinkle but I do like to sit on the sidelines and watch the show. People think introverts are quiet and shy. Im not shy. I just cant get a word in edge wise.

I hate crowds but I can talk to anybody on on one. Its wierd but people tell me all sorts of stuff. Some of it Im not sure they should be telling me. Ive been told Im colorful but I dont see it. Truthfully I think Im pretty boring. Boring is good tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 12:34 PM

3,178 posts, read 13,172,174 times
Yes, Yes, and Yes

I love being in the "thick" of things and conversations. I like being around lots of interesting people - and I don't mind crowds.

I have a very open bubbly personality - with anyone. Sometimes men would think it's flirty (or other women misperceive me) but I actually am just that open and talkative to anyone. If I was flirty it would have some "heated" topics.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:36 PM

306 posts, read 802,891 times
The feedback I get is that people are comfortable with me soon after meeting me. I am also one that people feel like they can confide in and share intimate things with. Other folks seem to think that I am outgoing and friendly too.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:14 PM

12,463 posts, read 13,100,747 times
I am an introvert. I do great one-on-one. I am not a party person. I do more listening than talking. At work I have contact with a lot of people and am good at my job, excellent professional skills. But socially on my own time i prefer to be on my own or with one or two friends. I am very sunny and upbeat and happy. But not an extrovert.

When i read the opening post I read it as "extrovert" or "introvert"

Old 07-07-2008, 04:58 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,306,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
I am an introvert. I do great one-on-one. I am not a party person. I do more listening than talking. At work I have contact with a lot of people and am good at my job, excellent professional skills. But socially on my own time i prefer to be on my own or with one or two friends. I am very sunny and upbeat and happy. But not an extrovert.

When i read the opening post I read it as "extrovert" or "introvert"
You sound a lot like me. Except right now I dont have much contact wth any people in Rl. I dont know about sunny but Im usually upbeat.

The older I get the more introverted I get. When I was younger I would try to be more "normal" /extroverted. Now I just be my old unsocial self.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:17 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,014,132 times
Default What makes someone colorful and big?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
The older I get the more introverted I get. When I was younger I would try to be more "normal" /extroverted. Now I just be my old unsocial self.
Years ago when I said I was shy someone told me "get over yourself." Ouch, but the more I thought about it, I could see he was right. A friend told me that I am actually reserved. Reserved is someone who watches and thinks and then chooses words to communicate when they are ready--the shy part comes in when I don't communicate what I have to say because I am afraid of looking bad or being misunderstood. If I really want to say something, I do. If I don't, it's my problem, no one should have to invite me to talk. But it's nice when someone asks so I try and do that for others. Kindness is always good. Now when I stumble over words and people are looking at me odd, I try to remember to laugh and say "you should see me on a bad day." Personally, I think I express myself better in writing than conversation.

Now that I am older (55) I am both extroverted and introverted. I have a friend who would watch me and say I'd talk to anyone and I'd say "and what's your point?" I can be outgoing and bubbly but I have to be in the right situation and mood--now it's when I find someone interested in my passions. I've heard all the drama and it grows old. I don't watch TV so just start a conversation about tv shows and I'm asleep. Since I graduated from college in December I seem to be in a place where mostly I want to read about history and do art--pretty solitary--or be around people interested in these things or volunteering to help others.

Maybe this has to do with getting older. I think the older I get, the less I need to talk but I find more of a need to write (more depth than conversation) or express myself through art.

I think this need to be "colorful" and "on" all the time is a product of our hyper culture. Has TV created the idea that an interesting person has to be colorful and "big"? What makes someone colorful? or Big? Each of us is colorful and has a story to tell that is unique yet similar. What do others think?

Let me sit by an adobe wall, spin my wool, and look at the blue sky. If you want to talk sit next to me, spin some wool along with me, and tell me about your life (or sit by a campfire, hand out food at the soup kitchen, take a class together--doing something together while we figure out life and get to know each other.) Personally I'd take real over someone being colorful and entertaining.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:27 AM

12,463 posts, read 13,100,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post

Let me sit by an adobe wall, spin my wool, and look at the blue sky. If you want to talk sit next to me, spin some wool along with me, and tell me about your life (or sit by a campfire, hand out food at the soup kitchen, take a class together--doing something together while we figure out life and get to know each other.) Personally I'd take real over someone being colorful and entertaining.
This is beautiful, like a lovely painting, maybe Georgia O'Keefe....thank you....

Old 07-08-2008, 11:55 PM

539 posts, read 1,613,167 times
You know... this is a really good question. I've been considered popular in most social situations for most of my life. The same traits that made me popular in one group were the same as those that made me very un-popular in other situations. Most of my closest freinds now tell me how much they hated me before we had met.
I could never be a celebrity. The constant stream of people wanting only to be near you is draining. I had worked at, run or owned bars or night clubs for most of my adult life. When I was off, I just wanted to do something thoughtful and quiet. When it was time to work, it was; "The John Show" - as my freinds call it.
I think that I'm an extrovert when I feel like it but that I'm more reticent on a day to day basis.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:24 AM

21,187 posts, read 5,518,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
It seems like many people in the public eye have quite interesting personalities. I can think of people like Regis Philbin, Larry King, Jay Leno, etc. These people are popular because they have such dynamic personalities. They have a way about them that makes many people feel comfortable and open up. Other people in the public eye can be called colorful, or have a real "gift of gab".

I think if you are a celebrity or not, these would be great skills to have regardless of the type of environment you are in. It would help in meeting friends and at work. Most people I meet are shy and have a reserved personality and a poor gift of gab until you get to know them.. at best.

How about you, do you have a gift of gab? Are you colorful? Do you have a dynmamic personality?
A lot of times it's a learned skill. I was always shy, quiet and reserved while growing up. I was "thrown" into situations where I had to learn to be open. Also working in the hotel business made me a talker. Of course, I still like my quiet and alone time, more so now than when I was a kid.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:46 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,140,874 times
I am colorful, in all different ways. But yes, I am also pretty shy .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology