Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 02:42 PM

148 posts, read 644,738 times

Advertisements

It seems like many people in the public eye have quite interesting personalities. I can think of people like Regis Philbin, Larry King, Jay Leno, etc. These people are popular because they have such dynamic personalities. They have a way about them that makes many people feel comfortable and open up. Other people in the public eye can be called colorful, or have a real "gift of gab".

I think if you are a celebrity or not, these would be great skills to have regardless of the type of environment you are in. It would help in meeting friends and at work. Most people I meet are shy and have a reserved personality and a poor gift of gab until you get to know them.. at best.

How about you, do you have a gift of gab? Are you colorful? Do you have a dynmamic personality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 02:52 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,618,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
How about you, do you have a gift of gab? Are you colorful? Do you have a dynmamic personality?
It really isn't up to me to say. Those kinds of labels would need to be put on by others.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:57 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,949 times
Normally, people who do that professionally hide outside of their J.O.B! My spouse says I talk to anyone. I have a great time doing it and can actually remember stories and people that I've talked to without script. That's the difference between ordinary people and celebrities. One needs a script and the other doesn't.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:24 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
I was a very shy child. I blossomed in my 20's when I moved out of my parents house. Being a waitress also helped. I probably talk to much too much now. lol

Old 07-06-2008, 04:06 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,773,822 times
I usually talk to everyone and can get along with most types of people. After a couple minutes I always seem to have something in common and can chat about almost anything.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:53 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
It really isn't up to me to say. Those kinds of labels would need to be put on by others.
That's what I was gonna say, too. It's in the ears of the beholder.

Some people and I rub each other the wrong way immediately; with others I can't stop talking.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:41 PM

105 posts, read 302,489 times
Hey this is a cool topic ! I'd say I have a pretty colorful personality, I definitely can talk! I've been told many times that I have the "gift of gab". Figured I would take my friendly personable self to the airwaves and make a career out of it! I love it and people tell me I'm good at it! Yay! I wish where I live had friendlier people, cause I would like to talk to anyone...but if I were to talk to a total stranger here, they would look at me like I was from Mars....lol.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:55 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,428 times
Yeah, let me entertain you. I find the most interesting people are the ones that are not perceived as "colorful." Personally, I find those kind of people okay for a short time, a very short time. Mostly they seem to always be saying look at me, aren't I colorful and you can't get a word in edgewise or they don't hear you if you manage to say anything. Now the quiet person watching on the sidelines with the twinkle in their eye.....I want to get to know. I have a couple of friends that are "colorful" and talkers but sometimes I have to yell (with a smile) "It's my turn!" Of course, they are my friends because I can say that and I see their good hearts but wow, it's takes energy to do that.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:16 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,684,175 times
I don't know if I have a dynamic personality, but people think I'm funny and are very trusting of me. People will open up to me and tell me way more than I really want to know, but I don't do the same in return. I'm very choosy about what I share with people.

Lucy

Old 07-07-2008, 09:24 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
It seems like many people in the public eye have quite interesting personalities. I can think of people like Regis Philbin, Larry King, Jay Leno, etc. These people are popular because they have such dynamic personalities. They have a way about them that makes many people feel comfortable and open up. Other people in the public eye can be called colorful, or have a real "gift of gab".

I think if you are a celebrity or not, these would be great skills to have regardless of the type of environment you are in. It would help in meeting friends and at work. Most people I meet are shy and have a reserved personality and a poor gift of gab until you get to know them.. at best.

My wife says I can talk to anybody, and am pretty much a collector of interesting people. I tell her that I just find other people interesting, and the worst sin one can commit is to lead a dull life. Needless to say, we have pretty interesting parties with people from all walks of life. Just two months ago at a dinner party, I had a Marine colonel fresh from a stint in Afghanistan sitting across from an aging hippie who delivers sailboats for a living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology