U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 03:35 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,208,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
Unless I post that note on my forehead and stand in front of a mirror ..

.. amazing how those lists can get overlooked if they sit there long enough.
But look how easy it is to avoid looking in a mirror!!

My lists get overlooked because they wind up under newer lists!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 03:40 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,798,088 times
When we're dead and gone, the lists will still be there in a pile.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:46 PM

38,677 posts, read 45,030,920 times
I think I'll put that question on the back burner for awhile and get back to you in a week or so...

Old 07-27-2008, 11:20 AM

205 posts, read 640,005 times
I wonder (seriously, though!) if procrastination is a symptom of depression. Not caring enough to get off your butt and do something til it absolutely has to be done. I seem to have a problem with that for a while now. I have tried making lists of things to do, breaking them down in to groups of things by the day, but it seems when I get started I just give myself a break after getting SOME of it done, and then . . . . back to waiting for that 'second wind' to come back so I can start on it again.

I believe when I get on top of things I shall never again let myself be a procrastinator. Getting there from here, though . . .

Old 07-27-2008, 12:06 PM

26,888 posts, read 38,133,169 times
I am now semi-retired and self-employed. When I am in project mode I make no appointments before 11:00 am. I get up as usual and instead of going to work for other clients I go to work for me.

The pay is lousy, but the rewards are great!

Old 07-27-2008, 12:11 PM

26,888 posts, read 38,133,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice2 View Post
I wonder (seriously, though!) if procrastination is a symptom of depression. Not caring enough to get off your butt and do something til it absolutely has to be done. I seem to have a problem with that for a while now. I have tried making lists of things to do, breaking them down in to groups of things by the day, but it seems when I get started I just give myself a break after getting SOME of it done, and then . . . . back to waiting for that 'second wind' to come back so I can start on it again.

I believe when I get on top of things I shall never again let myself be a procrastinator. Getting there from here, though . . .
When I get low that post describes me.

I do a lot of work in my yard. There are pictures of some of it on CD. One of my "Get out of your pity pool and on with life" tactics is to open the bay window curtain and look at what I've done. I remind myself that if I hadn't gotten off my rear I wouldn't have a beautiful yard to look at.

Works about 70% of the time.

It's tougher in the winter.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:13 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,788,274 times
I am so bad about procrastinating and really I blame the computer. The only way to battle procrastination is to be like Nike and "just do it" ...honestly, that is the only way the works for me....although most times than not, I ignore that voice ugh!

Old 07-27-2008, 01:44 PM

13,155 posts, read 16,873,712 times
Someone said something about a job looking so big that it's hard to know where to begin. I'm that way. If I find a job ovewhelming, I'll postpone it. I know it will wait for me. Then, I go away and plan HOW I will do it. I love the planning part.

I've also discovered that when it's overwhelming and I don't know where to start, I just start on one piece of it. It may not make sense to someone watching. They may say, "hmmm.why are you doing that?" It doesn't matter whether it's logical or not, slowly but surely the job gets done. Usually more slowly than not. I refuse to look at all of the task, though, because if I do, I just won't tackle it, but little baby steps get me to the finish line. Give me a deadline and I'll get it done in leaps and bounds.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:13 PM

21,902 posts, read 20,895,074 times
A list is a good idea and I use it. But I have to be able to cross off the things I've done or it's useless. I need to see that I have actually gotten it done and then I can feel good about it. Weird, I know but it is what it is!!

Old 07-27-2008, 02:18 PM

2,568 posts, read 5,838,497 times
I tried to use FlyLady.net: Your personal online coach to help you gain control of your house and home. Now I don't feel guilty about not getting things done . Seriously once I get done unpacking I will give her methods a serious try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology