Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 02:03 PM

111 posts, read 286,145 times

Advertisements

I recently read "Understanding the Borderline Mother".....I never understood how my mother could treat me the way she has since childhood, until I read this book. Im interested to know if anyone else has read this book or has a mother who has BPD???
How did you deal with her in adulthood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 02:07 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texgrl View Post
I recently read "Understanding the Borderline Mother".....I never understood how my mother could treat me the way she has since childhood, until I read this book. Im interested to know if anyone else has read this book or has a mother who has BPD???
What are the traits or symptoms as it where.

I guess I should just google it.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:15 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
"Today BPD is considered a relatively stable personality disorder and is used more generally to describe non-psychotic individuals who display emotional disregulation, splitting, and an unstable self image."

"Borderline personality disorder can be a distressing medical condition, both for the people who have it and for those around them. When you have borderline personality disorder (BPD), you have difficulty controlling your emotions and are often in a state of upheaval — perhaps as a result of harmful childhood experiences or brain dysfunction.

With borderline personality disorder your image of yourself is distorted, making you feel worthless and fundamentally flawed. Your anger, impulsivity and frequent mood swings may push others away, even though you yearn for loving relationships.

Increasing awareness and research are helping improve the treatment and understanding of borderline personality disorder. Emerging evidence indicates that people with borderline personality disorder often get better over time and that they can live happy, peaceful lives. "

Honestly, just sounds like another name they came up with to categorize yet one more "personality" disorder. There's a million wacko people out there...but we have to give them all "disorders".

Sorry - not trying to be insensitive - I just get weary of all the diagnosing being done. Good luck in dealing with it...I'm sure it must be a bear.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:16 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
BPD is terrible to deal with...my mother has BPD and dealing with her is like strategizing a battle...there is never rest...the stories are too long, detailed and painful to get into, but it gets better with time and distance.

My parents are divorced and my father and I are very close. Several years ago the proverbial sh*t hit the fan with my mother and I was at wits end...my father gave me the best advice... "Honey, don't try to beat her at her own game because she will always change the rules of engagement...the only way to beat her is by being honest...she doesn't know how to do that"...

My biggest hurdle was dealing with the lies and the feeling of helplessness from her web of lies...they are very shrewd and their illness is hard to detect as an outsider...

Just keep yourself safe and try to remember that she is ill...that does not excuse her behavior but it gives you a way to cope with it...thinking of her as sick is easier than thinking she is just plain evil...

Take care...

Old 11-22-2008, 02:17 PM

BPD is and can be very serious...to diagnose there has to be 2 other co morbities present...these can be what makes the illness worse...

Old 11-22-2008, 03:08 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
WOW! Your dad must be a very smart man. That was great advice.
I like that. That can be used in many different situations.

Kudos to your dad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
BPD is terrible to deal with...my mother has BPD and dealing with her is like strategizing a battle...there is never rest...the stories are too long, detailed and painful to get into, but it gets better with time and distance.

My parents are divorced and my father and I are very close. Several years ago the proverbial sh*t hit the fan with my mother and I was at wits end...my father gave me the best advice... "Honey, don't try to beat her at her own game because she will always change the rules of engagement...the only way to beat her is by being honest...she doesn't know how to do that"...

My biggest hurdle was dealing with the lies and the feeling of helplessness from her web of lies...they are very shrewd and their illness is hard to detect as an outsider...

Just keep yourself safe and try to remember that she is ill...that does not excuse her behavior but it gives you a way to cope with it...thinking of her as sick is easier than thinking she is just plain evil...

Take care...

Old 11-22-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
WOW! Your dad must be a very smart man. That was great advice.
I like that. That can be used in many different situations.

Kudos to your dad.
Yes, he has some very "fatherly" advice...he is a very wise man and I am so glad you will be able to benefit from it! Pass it on

Old 11-22-2008, 05:24 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texgrl View Post
I'm very sorry to hear this. My parents remained together and actually got along (very yin and yang in personality, so they complemented each other); however, they weren't the most competent at raising kids, using other obviously better parents as a barometer. Most people tell me I've raised myself. I've heard of "borderline personality disorder," but should look into the symptoms to see if I see it in my folks.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:26 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
"Today BPD is considered a relatively stable personality disorder and is used more generally to describe non-psychotic individuals who display emotional disregulation, splitting, and an unstable self image."

"Borderline personality disorder can be a distressing medical condition, both for the people who have it and for those around them. When you have borderline personality disorder (BPD), you have difficulty controlling your emotions and are often in a state of upheaval — perhaps as a result of harmful childhood experiences or brain dysfunction.

With borderline personality disorder your image of yourself is distorted, making you feel worthless and fundamentally flawed. Your anger, impulsivity and frequent mood swings may push others away, even though you yearn for loving relationships.

Increasing awareness and research are helping improve the treatment and understanding of borderline personality disorder. Emerging evidence indicates that people with borderline personality disorder often get better over time and that they can live happy, peaceful lives. "

Honestly, just sounds like another name they came up with to categorize yet one more "personality" disorder. There's a million wacko people out there...but we have to give them all "disorders".

Sorry - not trying to be insensitive - I just get weary of all the diagnosing being done. Good luck in dealing with it...I'm sure it must be a bear.
Completely agree. It's just another BS term those idiotic psychologists make up, none of which have any real medical basis whatsoever. Psychology is largely just the witch doctors of the day. I mean 50 years ago, homosexuality was on their list of disorders. I don't take anything they say seriously.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Completely agree. It's just another BS term those idiotic psychologists make up, none of which have any real medical basis whatsoever. Psychology is largely just the witch doctors of the day. I mean 50 years ago, homosexuality was on their list of disorders. I don't take anything they say seriously.
Live with someone who has it and get back to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology