U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2011, 12:19 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,639,729 times

Advertisements

Hmmm....I think people that are extremely argumentative have a chip on their shoulder, They tend to be small minded they only see their pov...even though they couldnt be further from the truth...They are "Right fighters" Their main goal is not to find a amicable agreement, they are not interested in the truth or facts...you say the sky is blue and they say it is "Aquamarine"
They are the ones that never real get "it" because they are so busy trying to think of their rebuttal that they never hear wht the other person is trying to say...
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 04:23 AM

3,487 posts, read 6,124,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Any thoughts on what the deal is with extremely argumentative people?
Justified argumentativeness:
- matter of principle
- requiring specific definitions and being annoyed at people who generalize
- overwhelming need to point out hypocrisy

Unjustified argumentativeness:
- anger
- irrational need to air your opinions without true discussion
- control issues
- delusions of grandeur

Old 08-21-2011, 03:27 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,537,466 times
Unhappy people. It's okay to share a different viewpoint but if you must "disagree" with everything that I say and take the opposite side just because...........that's cool. You will notice yourself by yourself more often but just keep arguing with everything. You will be 100% right and by your darn self.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:35 PM

645 posts, read 1,067,684 times
Quote:
Any thoughts on what the deal is with extremely argumentative people?
There are several things that will leave an argumentative person speechless. Youre right! I agree with you! Id feel the same way in your shoes, and when you say it, mean it. With the last statement, youre not lying. Youd feel the same way as the argumentative person if you were in his shoes! The best way to ensure that an argumentative person will persist is to disagree with them in any way shape or form.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:51 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,301,031 times
Isn't that a sarcastic and flippant blandishment?

I prefer to agree to disagree. Because I really do disagree but I would like to stay on friendly grounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
There are several things that will leave an argumentative person speechless. “You’re right! I agree with you! I’d feel the same way in your shoes,” and when you say it, mean it. With the last statement, you’re not lying. You’d feel the same way as the argumentative person if you were in his shoes! The best way to ensure that an argumentative person will persist is to disagree with them in any way shape or form.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:56 PM

645 posts, read 1,067,684 times
Quote:
Isn't that a sarcastic and flippant blandishment?

I prefer to agree to disagree. Because I really do disagree but I would like to stay on friendly grounds.
If I were in your shoes, Id feel exactly the same way!

Old 08-21-2011, 10:04 PM

5,547 posts, read 8,289,159 times
They need to be right, they are controlling, they need to win, and maybe they are miserable and use you (not you you) just to discharge misplaced anger. Those would be my guesses.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:10 PM

42,565 posts, read 42,398,375 times
I know a co-worker like this. She is very negative and loves to say the opposite. And not many like her.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:15 PM

5,547 posts, read 8,289,159 times
I had a situation with a former friend who loved to argue aka tell me what to do, tell me how I screwed up, etc. Anyway, I got to the point where I refused to argue with her and told her I'd only communicate via email as I would not argue with her (this must have infuriorated her as it's awfully hard to argue in an email). I told her I would not talk to her on the phone as all she wanted to do was argue and I told her I would not. Well, she never did email me, she kept calling me, I didn't pick up, and now we don't argue at all, needless to say. Too bad it came down to that as it was a LT friendship, but at least I don't have to argue anymore.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:22 PM

25,584 posts, read 30,493,706 times
I love a good debate.

If someone is way stupid or says something even more stupid, I will argue with them. I am not one to play nice, if they **** me off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or