U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 10:44 AM

5,554 posts, read 5,869,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Not everybody is like you and you shouldn't force anybody to do "Work" that isn't in their best interest.

And what do you mean by "work". You keep bringing that word up as if you are an authority on the subject. Objectively what is "work"?

If the OP was so dysfunctional then he would be in and out of drug rehab or jail or terrible relationships.
Wow do you go off in flights of fancy! I never said or thought he was dysfunctional! Whoa! I know for a fact that if you don't work at something - anything - that you want to improve, nothing changes. Hell, this isn't brain surgery. Get a grip, man.

I mean "work" at change so that you have a new perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 10:51 AM

12,120 posts, read 27,549,460 times
Default Well

you've both helped me immensely so I don't want you two to start arguing (you'll create another bad friendship like I had!). you both said great things to me

Old 02-03-2009, 02:59 PM

5,554 posts, read 5,869,517 times
You're very welcome, rlrl. Thank you for your gracious response. Much luck to you!

Old 02-04-2009, 05:53 AM

Default you know

it's funny because I go for medication(paxil) monitoring with a psychiatrist once a month and one of the issues in my treatment is that the doc feels I'm stuck on trying too hard to be someone I'm not and measure up to someone else's standard rather than my own

i definitely do have issues with people who are phony and put on airs. my mom, though certainly a well meaning and caring mother, is afflicted with that (I call it "suburbanitis" the old "what will the neighbors think" syndrome), my brother used to be like that until he had a child, and oddly, it seems that women who have been attracted to me have also been the phony type (luckily i have been able to see through their charade and never have been attracted to them)

i just never thought that making a goal to become part of the rat race (house, white picket fence, etc) was a good goal to pursue

Old 02-04-2009, 11:13 AM

12,464 posts, read 13,100,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
one of the issues in my treatment is that the doc feels I'm stuck on trying too hard to be someone I'm not and measure up to someone else's standard rather than my own

i definitely do have issues with people who are phony and put on airs. my mom, though certainly a well meaning and caring mother, is afflicted with that (I call it "suburbanitis" the old "what will the neighbors think" syndrome), women who have been attracted to me have also been the phony type (luckily i have been able to see through their charade and never have been attracted to them)
stick with your own sense of honor and ethics
trying to be someone you are not, trying to be someone just to please someone else will make you crazy and will destroy you

you are the authority on what works for you
you know best what for you is Truth, peace of mind, well-being, and integrity for you

i grew up in a family of "intellectrual snobs" married into a family of "social climbers and money grubbers" and i reached a point where i became so emotionally crippled and physically ill that I contracted a terminal illness.

because at heart those values repulse me, what I value are honesty, integrity, kindness, humbleness, a really simple life. I was surrounded by people I did not respect and I was living a lie and it was a conflict that was debilatating

i got out of the marriage, started trusting my own intuition, began living by my own sense of integrity rather than trying to please everyone else and be someone I'm NOT. It saved my life, and today I have peace of mind, excellent health, and a peaceful life.

Best wishes to you. You have freedom. You have choice. Don't let the toxic people drag you down. Be true to yourself. It's your life, nobody else's. And you're worth it.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:39 AM

25,165 posts, read 47,324,376 times
Good for you; however, what terminal illness do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
stick with your own sense of honor and ethics
trying to be someone you are not, trying to be someone just to please someone else will make you crazy and will destroy you

you are the authority on what works for you
you know best what for you is Truth, peace of mind, well-being, and integrity for you

i grew up in a family of "intellectrual snobs" married into a family of "social climbers and money grubbers" and i reached a point where i became so emotionally crippled and physically ill that I contracted a terminal illness.

because at heart those values repulse me, what I value are honesty, integrity, kindness, humbleness, a really simple life. I was surrounded by people I did not respect and I was living a lie and it was a conflict that was debilatating

i got out of the marriage, started trusting my own intuition, began living by my own sense of integrity rather than trying to please everyone else and be someone I'm NOT. It saved my life, and today I have peace of mind, excellent health, and a peaceful life.

Best wishes to you. You have freedom. You have choice. Don't let the toxic people drag you down. Be true to yourself. It's your life, nobody else's. And you're worth it.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:08 PM

8,262 posts, read 15,970,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
used to complain that everyone is uneducated and ignorant as to what is going on in the world around them (myself included of course), but yet who does he choose to shack up with and marry but a woman with no education beyond high school, she worked in the unemployment office as a clerk when they met, on their honeymoon he told me there was a girl in a bikini hanging out on the landing of the hotel who he wanted to nail and claimed she wanted him to, meanwhile this dude looked like woody allen but without his charm, humor or charisma!!
Was his name JonathanLB????????????????

Old 02-04-2009, 12:10 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,324,376 times
LOL that was a real good one.

Btw are you Kathy Griffin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Was his name JonathanLB????????????????

Old 02-04-2009, 12:30 PM

Default No, but

his stepbrother's name was Jonathan!!! He was another "winner" molded along the same lines as the rest of the tribe. Even worse since he was 13 years younger than my friend. I think he had ADD or something but otherwise was really smart. I think the only normal, non-grandiose person in the family was my friend's mom who I recall went thru a bitter divorce from his old man who left her for a younger woman

Old 02-04-2009, 12:33 PM

Default dim sum

I mised your great post. So sorry you have a TI. My dad passed away in early 12/2 if it's any consolation. Where do you live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or