U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 07:22 PM

1,609 posts, read 691,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Oh, you poor dear. Bless you.
Don't know if you are being sarcastic or not, but like I mentioned in a post above, it was intended more as a running "inside joke"...but whatever...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 07:41 PM

731 posts, read 352,464 times
Speech style. Whether they have a regional accent, how many speech fillers they use, how much they swear, how wide their vocabulary seems to be, how much their tone varies, (in text) how many emojis they use and how formal their capitalization and punctuation are ("sure lets go" vs. "Sure, let's go.").

I have personal preferences in all of these areas, but regardless of any value judgment, it can all tell you a lot about someone's personality and which of their social groups likely matter the most to them.

A bit off-topic, but I hope judging people by their car isn't too common - because I don't have one. I got in a crash a few months ago and just use my bike and public transportation now.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:02 PM

72,820 posts, read 64,283,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Speech style. Whether they have a regional accent, how many speech fillers they use, how much they swear, how wide their vocabulary seems to be, how much their tone varies, (in text) how many emojis they use and how formal their capitalization and punctuation are ("sure lets go" vs. "Sure, let's go.").

I have personal preferences in all of these areas, but regardless of any value judgment, it can all tell you a lot about someone's personality and which of their social groups likely matter the most to them.

A bit off-topic, but I hope judging people by their car isn't too common - because I don't have one. I got in a crash a few months ago and just use my bike and public transportation now.
You left out: good grammar. Do they know when to use objective forms of the pronouns, and when not to.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:27 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,827,177 times
shoes? I met most interesting and cultivated college professors who wear beaten up sandals. The choice of clothes or shoes has nothing to do with who a person is. IMO.

To me it's just the deeds of a person that speak about who that person is. Not the appearance, not the clothes and definitely not the shoes. Not even the way they talk because they might be lying or exaggerating. Just the actions.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:56 PM

365 posts, read 214,893 times
Shoes are very telling.

My boss and his right hand man were conned by a guy pretending to be a wealthy potential client. I keep telling Boss and RHM the guy didn't seem right, not to provide him with anything that cost money. He wore cheap shoes and a nice but not excellent suit.

Boss ignored me and lost several thousand dollars to this guy.

Con guy had a good spin, though. Turns out he was in and out of jail for pulling cons. He got away with lots of them, often because victims were too embarrassed to press charges and have their names made public.

Couple of years after I left that company, his bookkeeper tried to warn him not to refund a large amount of money to a new client who wanted his money out of retainer. She thought client had a bad vibe. Boss gave new Con a big company check anyway. Weeks later, the bank discovered the check written by the Con to fund the retainer fraudulent. Boss lost tens of thousands that time.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:59 AM

292 posts, read 261,456 times
Not physical, but the moment people start talking about vampires, UFOs, wherewolves, the CIA, or any other nutty conspiracy or 'out to get them' crap, my mind flags them as a kook for life. (I've ran into many such people).

Old 02-27-2018, 09:14 AM

5,069 posts, read 608,462 times
I only judge people by their appearance if they look like they have been dirty for a LONG time (unwashed hair and unbrushed teeth, for example). Condition of clothes and shoes are not a "tell" at all. In fact, I heard a story, supposedly true, about how a well-known business leader and wealthy man would regularly dress in old and comfortable clothes (think old T-shirt, almost threadbare jeans, and flip-flops) on the weekend, and once he went to a park in a posh part of town and just sat on the bench to enjoy the view. A policeman approached him with the intent of possibly "shooing him off" and asked him for his I.D. The cop was very surprised and very apologetic when the "bum" pulled out his wallet, and the cop saw that it was full of credit cards and plenty of cash.

I also tend to judge people by how they speak -- I admit that I have a higher opinion of people if they use good grammar and are polite. In short, politeness, cleanliness and good grammar are the most important factors with me forming a good first impression of someone. After that, more important things like kindness and honesty take over as to whether I want to continue associating with someone or not.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:18 AM

3,949 posts, read 1,487,169 times
So weird to read about the posts valuing looking at shoes. It's not a priority to me (only wearing fancy new-ish shoes), and I wouldn't change a thing. For me, if someone's going to judge another based on outward appearance, they aren't worth knowing or developing a relationship/friendship with. They can keep all the petty, shallow, and materialistic people to themselves.

Kindness, lack of judgement and bias, mentally/culturally rich, and well-read, is what's important in my view.

You can change a person's clothes, but that doesn't change who you are. Lots of criminals and felons show up in court dressed wonderfully, with spotless and immaculate shoes, but that doesn't mean anything.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 02-27-2018 at 10:26 AM..

Old 02-27-2018, 02:13 PM

292 posts, read 261,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
So weird to read about the posts valuing looking at shoes. It's not a priority to me (only wearing fancy new-ish shoes), and I wouldn't change a thing. For me, if someone's going to judge another based on outward appearance, they aren't worth knowing or developing a relationship/friendship with. They can keep all the petty, shallow, and materialistic people to themselves.
This whole "looking at shoes" has always given me the heebie-jeebies, and always brings up images of some sexual creep in my mind. I don't mind if someone has a fetish, but I don't like people doing this kind of thing on the down-low.

I also tend to run shoes into the ground, and rather quickly at that, so this would be a very faulty indication of me as a person.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:21 PM

3,672 posts, read 5,787,363 times
I always examine a person's body shape. Sometimes I will judge people based on this, although I wouldn't say that is my goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or