Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:42 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Agreed -- grammar, syntax, and vocabulary are huge to me.
Those are the MOST important areas for me as well.

I could never assess or judge someone based on their possessions (car, jewelry, etc.) because that is just too shallow.

Secondary ways that I assess people:
I do however look at peoples hands and fingernails though but this is mainly a cleanliness and self grooming issue. Dirty fingernails, fake nails, or real nails that are just way too long usually cause me to say "Blech!".
Self Esteem - the way they carry themseleves and their posture says a lot. Do they should not slouch or appear unkept or Sloppy.
How they treat others - Being kind is important. How people treat their servers at restaurants, holding doors for others, watching their language when in presence or ear shot of children or the elderly, etc. This is basic common courtesy. It doesnt get much worse then hearing people use bad language when they know that children or elderly are nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 10:43 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Interesting comment about the shoes. I owned a shoe store for 7 years and did the same thing. I would assume a lot about the person with just a glance at his/her feet. Now I'm more like Mr. Cat; I don't make quick assessments of anyone unless there are several indicators pointing in the same direction.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:06 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,003,946 times
I'm big on the grammar too. I had to check this girl who thought I was being too picky b/c she didn't know how to properly use There, Their, They're; Your and You're; and apostrophe +s spellings. She said she was educated, and said that we didn't have to be so formal. I told her it pretty much either means you are uneducated, lazy, or don't care how you represent yourself. Needless to say that ended there. I can't see how you work in the business field and misuse those terms.

I use nails and hair as a barometer, especially for women. Since hair and nails are definite signs of what type of woman you are, they are fair game. I'm not a fan of fake nails. To me a woman whose nails are always done and styled must not be worth too much. In order to maintain all those designs you can't be too involved in cleaning your house, unless you are hiring a maid.

And extra long natural nails are just nasty. I just think of the word stank when I see them. It shouldn't be hard to figure out why.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Interesting comment about the shoes. I owned a shoe store for 7 years and did the same thing. I would assume a lot about the person with just a glance at his/her feet. Now I'm more like Mr. Cat; I don't make quick assessments of anyone unless there are several indicators pointing in the same direction.
What kind of assumptions would you make?

My sisters said there's a difference between a quality shoe and and a flashy shoe (for men). Cost doesn't always mean quality- you could be just paying for a name. And quality usually takes a skilled eye. Things like that, that you can extrapolate into other areas of their lives.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:15 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
I judge people relative to the situation or the reason I am in contact with them.

If I were hiring someone to drive me to the airport or dig a sewer line on my property, I would pay attention to different things than I would if I were hiring him/her to represent my company at a trade show, or be a receptionist at my office.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:16 AM

911 posts, read 2,375,312 times
so what happens if you just run to the store real quick and put on your old junk shoes, but you have a really nice pair of shoes?

Old 01-26-2009, 11:18 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
My sisters have told me you can tell a lot about a person by their shoes. They size men up by their shoes- quality of the shoe, condition of it, etc. It's not the tell all, but you can start there.

Is there anything else that you use to assess people, such as shoes or a car? Not necessarily the cost of these things, but the condition, style, etc.

Or maybe it's something physical like finger nails, teeth, hairstyle?

I never cared for shoes, although an ugly pair will get your made fun of regardless of how attractive you are.

I am a TOTAL teeth person. I can say, that every person i've dated, hooked up and further, all have had to-die-for smiles and perfect teeth. It's not hard to keep them white! Brush twice a day! C'mon!!!!

Old 01-26-2009, 11:22 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
I dont care about her shoes.
i dont care about her clothes.
But she will get extra points
If she has TWINKLE TOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-26-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrian12 View Post
so what happens if you just run to the store real quick and put on your old junk shoes, but you have a really nice pair of shoes?
True, but a supermarket is different. I'm talking somewhere like work, if you work in a professional setting, or some other scene where shoes are the norm.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
I never cared for shoes, although an ugly pair will get your made fun of regardless of how attractive you are.

I am a TOTAL teeth person. I can say, that every person i've dated, hooked up and further, all have had to-die-for smiles and perfect teeth. It's not hard to keep them white! Brush twice a day! C'mon!!!!
Forgot about the teeth! Yeah that's important too. I don't want somebody with a mouth that looks like a Rubix cube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology